Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 08:44 AM
rmsurveyors
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

ORIGINAL: fxr_george

I understand all your guys concerns about a wine in 5 gear but does anybody remeber riding an old shovel head or even for that fact an iron head sportster.
Hell what about a open clutch pan head. You want to hear noise.
Just asking a question?
NOT the 5th. gear whine,it's the clatter noise that most are complaining about, which is a totally different noise and issue.Sounds like a wrist pin knocking,that becomes very audible when the engine/tranny is NOT under load. Just imagine someone with a small steel hammertapping on the under side of your gas tank while your trying to enjoy your ride. After an hour or so the noisegets pretty annoying, even to the ones that may be ridingnear you.Yes, Harley's make noise, but there is the right noise and the wrong noise, and the clatter is definitely NOT normal for HD or any bike for that matter, especially when comes to the flagship tour models.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:01 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

again, Ill ry to explain the NOT right noise,,,,
1st there is the spur gear(1st and 5th) whine,, we all know it,, and why its there.... ok..
then we have a "Clatter" you get when riding say in 5th at 2000-2400 rpms, which goes away
if you shift at 2500 rpms and stay above that... its there , we gotta deal with it,, HD says its normal..
ok fine,,,,,,, but what about.........
a all day ride,,,,,,, cruiesing at 2800 rpms doing 55-60 mph in 5th,,,,,that very annoying cheeerattering
metalic,scratching,higher pitched clanking, wont go away obnoxiousness???
thats what Im talkin about??????

If I were to jump on my bike right now, (hasnt been ridin),, everything is great, no issues,
but ride it for 3 hours,, forget it!

anyone with me on this?????

Old 07-19-2007, 04:09 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The IDS should be out or at least available by Monday,maybe sooner.Ive heard around the 20th.Lets hope its worth the wait!No matter what youve heard Hd has attempted to quiet this noise.Months ago I was the one flying off the handle and yes its still a sore spot but I still believe its a noise and not a safety item.Sure its an awful noise for a new machine that isnt seen in other,older bikes youve owned.If you have a radio your hearing probably isnt what it once was.You may find yourself watching out for the law more often because of the way you have to ride these just to drown out the clatter sound.Adding the fork baffle will redirect the air flow from up over tank to across engine,thus redirecting some noise andputting more cooler air where it will do more good,may even help your passenger.Again Im talking about my 07SG,which I also believed had the tranny noise only to find out after dyno testing that the noise was actuallya motoror motor compensator noise.6th gear was my bikes most audible ut 5th also could give it.Hd has tested mine and a few others here and elsewhere.This man explained to me the cause,different story somewhat to what AIM explained,although Donny is right,Baker is right.The noise is a traveling sound.The trans is only reacting to what the front components are sending to it.I would think a known noisey 07 with a baker kit would no longer have the tranny reacting sound but would have a much louder engine sound or compensator sound.This is why the IDS may just work.You will have dampening action at both ends,thus trapping the noise between two components that can absorb this shock the engine is sending.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:27 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

In the interest of accuracy:

Baker does have a product called the DD6. If you are referring to the Baker product designed to quiet the '07 5th gear whine it is the F6F.

I'm 99.9% sure that it iis not illegal to claim that a warantee will be voided if alternate (non HD) fluids are used. I do believe it is illegal if this philosophy is enforced. May sound like symantics, but BIG DIFFERENCE.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:34 PM
phillaf65
Advanced

I have read all 734 posts on this subject. I have a 07 RKC and am one of the lucky ones to have the wonderful "coffee can full of rocks" in 5th gear and sometimes 6th. I have gotten the "its suppossed to sound like that" speech from the Service Mgr. at the dealership. Itold him that if I shook his head I would get the same sound as I do with the bike. I bet hewouldn't think hishead is suppossed tosound like that, or maybe he would. I doubt that I would have gotten the same bike if I had found this site prior, but I still would have gotten a HD. I will say that other than the clatter, I do love the bike. It will just be a matter of either learning to deal with it or wait until I annoyed enough to do something about it, which I don't see as being very long. I will keep my eye on this as I hope that there has to be some type reasonable solution from the MOCO.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:56 PM
GrandpaSpike
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

My 5th gear tranny noise went away after about 8,000 miles or I just got used to it.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:20 PM
savvar
Intermediate

you just got used to it. i purposely have been riding in 5th gear just so i can get my nervous system used to the wine. ya know, kinda like when ya try to ignore the obnoxous drunk at the bar. well any hows the riding season is in full gear here in central PA and i'm not stoppin now. i'll see what happens after the riding season. i should have about 10,000 miles on by OCT.

savvar

Old 07-19-2007, 08:49 PM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peddler you are absolutely correct, thanks for the catch--they are two different products and F6F is the appropriate response here. With regard to the question on HD enforcing an HD product-only moratorium on the engines, I don't disagree that they can say it--but I think if companies like Red Line, Amsoil, Spectro, etc are made aware of such a practice it would certainly arch a few eyebrows.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:57 AM
pete01
Intermediate

Here is the part # and picturefor the new Isolated Drive System that is supposed to eliminate the clatter in 5th gear. Get on HD's website and plug in the number. Mine is on order with my dealer. Sure hope it works. If it does, I will be a real happy camper. As soon as it is installed, I'll post the results.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:59 AM
pete01
Intermediate

OOps. I forgot to give ya'll the part # 40287-07

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?