Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:27 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

I rented an 07 Electraglide Classic with 600 miles on it a few weeks ago. Here's my take: The 07 Twin Cam 96/six speed seems to be designed for fast, smooth acceleration and top-end cruising. At 70 mph and higher the 6th gear is great and the 96 has plenty of umph to get you up there and keep you there all day long. But for the kind of riding that a lot of Harley riders do, it's not as good a combo as the 88 Twin Cam with the 5 speed.

The 96 Twin Cam is a stroked engine over the 88 and as such there is a lot more shock produced. The engine runs great above about 2500 rpm, but if you operate below that, it produces a clatter. I think it's due to the terrific torque being produced by the stroked engine that hammers the compensator, primary and transmission components and creates the noise.

Does the clatter cause damage? I don't know, it probably doesn't, but it definitely makes for an annoying ride. I've only noticed clatter like that of the 96 on my stock 88 at very low rpms under a hard pull. The 88 is a milder engine and it is happy working in the 1800-2500 rpm range. I can operate my Road King two-up with luggage at 45-60 mph in 5th (it has Andrews 21 cams) on backroads with a minimum of downshifting except to accelerate hard or climb a steep hill. But the 96 Twin cam and six speed are not happy at those speeds and thus they are a poor combination for back country riding. Most of us operate in the 50-60 mph range on these back roads and the 6th gear/96 combo is a total mismatch. The motor runs rough and noisily, even at it is producing plenty of power and doesn't seem to be lugging. Downshifting, however, isn't satisfying. In 5th at these speeds the engine revs high and the transmission whines. So there's no happy band to work in at those speeds. . The result is constant up- and down-shifting as you navigate relatively benign backroad territory. I'm no engineer, but it seems like some of this issue could be solved by tweaking sprocket and gear sizes. Otherwise, anyone who has the 07 model will need develop a different style based on keeping the engine running at higher rpms similar to metric bike operation. To me, however, the joy of riding a big V-twin is the relaxing, low-rpm operation.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 AM
rmsurveyors
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: continentaldrifter

Hello,i recently clocked 6107 mileson an 07 SG,bought the bike new, rode it in town for 285 miles then went out on the road for 4 weeks. In that time i did notice alot of noise from engine,mostly as listed -1)Knock upon start-up and release of starter button. 2)Heavy knock when in sixth and down in the low 2000rpm range.......yes lugging. 3)pinging noise in engine whenwicking throttle at 3000rpm and up.and no,not the fuel.Got up to 1300 miles and brought it in for the first service. Amsoil in engine and Bel-ray in trans and primary. Pulling a traier and a total combined unit/rider weigh in at 1450 lbs. Absolutely no tranny whine throughout the entire range. Im pretty confident in the maikings of HD's product,despite the few quirks,just ride it and fix it when it *****.
Most of us here have tried all the different types/weights of fluids with little to no results. Also, it's now being reported that there is a service bulletin from MOCO stating that any fluids used in these 07's other than HD brands will void the warranty. My first reaction to that is, "what warranty", the second is "show me the bulletin, and I'll show you where that requirement is illegal". The issue is NOT if these tranny's/engines will last 10 miles or 100,000 miles, it's the clatter noise (which is not normal)that (some) of thesebikesproduce that makes for an uncomfortable ride. I havespent tons of moneyon my Ultra Clatter, i.e. V&H oval exhaust, SE breather, PC III, different fluids, etc.trying to rid my bike of the dreaded clatter noise, none of which has worked. Yes, the bike runs 100% better with the upgrades, but the clatter is still there, as well as audible above the V&H's exhaust and radio blasting away. It's NOT an issue of ride it, and HD will fix it if it breaks, the issue here is it's already broke, with the clatter being the very issue! If it were NOT broke, and this clatter was normal due to design characteristics of the 07's, then they would all be doing it, which they are NOT, and I'll bet the 08'sdefinitely won't be clattering. Heavier oils, expensive upgrades are just masking the symptoms of a more serious or hidden problem, and they've all come atthe ownersexpense, while MOCO sits back, and smiles because they have weaseled out of their warranty with these 07's. Think about it, does anyone really believe that MOCO built the 07's with the option of the clatter noise built-into the machinery? Does anyone really believe that MOCO thought this clatter option out, and said the customers are gonna love this noise? I think NOT, this clatter issue is a design flaw, and MOCO not only knows it,but is alsounwilling to fess-up and correct it. Anyone in their right mind knows the clatter is NOT normal, and should be addressed by it's maker MOCO. Also, this issue is NOT to be taken lightly,and is certainly nota quirk, to many who have spent their hard earned money, believing they were buying the flagship of all bikes, only to be disappointed with a second rate weed eater, to them and I.this is serious business.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:51 PM
oldbag
Banned

I traded my '07 FLHT Clatter Wagon,NOW now life is good again! As far as the '07s go, I know for a fact you will get nothing from HD. You will fix it yourself or this is the way it will always be. The sooner you accept the better off you will be.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:10 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This all happened because their testing wasnt good enough and if it was then the QA dept didnt police the builds or outside vendors.A quality item should not have gone through out the whole yr,yet it did,just not on all bikes.Did reverse engineering play into this due to epa or to save acouple bucks per bike?Lets not forget the labor issue that happened this yr and anyone that has gone through something like this knows what goes on.The 08s hopefully wont have this even if it is masked.You can bet they will be on pins and needles once these models are released.Im hoping for the best for all.Not sure all 07s will be corrected.And if it becomes an issue for the 08s,these guys are in trouble.The kit if it works most likely wont be offered for free because then HD would be admitting a problem.A customer appreciation fix wont happen.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:43 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

I have all but been told by MOCO as well as by several of their dealers, that there is NO warranty on the 07's, especially if it concerns any clatter noise, vibration, over heating, primary cover removal andinspection or anything remotely similar. I have submitted several items to my dealer as well as MOCO, i.e. vibration, clatter noise, engine surge, fogging instruments, inaccurate temp gage, powder coating peeling from cylinder head, chrome cracked on running light, finger prints under clear coat, all of which have been denied either by MOCO or one of their dealers, saying the items are either NOT covered under warranty, it's normal, nothings wrong, they all do it, and the best one yet, told to me by (Foster HD, Tuscombia, Alabama) because I have made complaints to MOCO (sent emails) their area rep. will NOTauthorize warrantyof the cylinder head, due to the powder coat peeling. So that pretty much shows that HD is NOT going to honor the warranty on these bikes, at least NOT with the 07's.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:23 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

The dealer I bought off of-Cerini Hd-has been named one of the top 100 by the MoCo.At first they worked w/my bikes woes,called the area rep in which what started me over the edge.They dynoed my bike,heard the noise,said they would be there when rep showed up,but didnt.Shortly after MoCo got involved after filing w/state attorney,getting complaints published in various magazines,found how to get ahold of higher ups and bypassing the worthless customer service people.Got a call from one of them just before Xmas to test my bike,possibly fix it.Got bike afterwards with same noise,scratched up saddlebag,tank trim pinched and hanging out.Was told bag would be taken care of,never was!Yeah this is class dealership.They listened to whatever the MoCo tells them and gets a treat for doing so.Screw them.If youre reading this which one person that works there does-quit sending me your junk mail.I will never walk into your business again.The ole man would take care of his customers,too bad the sons dont have a clue.I can handle a problem bike,but when none of them will stand behind their product,I wont be back.The sad part is others have also had this same experience.There are many HD people on this site,why dont they chime in on this clatter issue?Because theyve been told to back off.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:49 PM
pete01
Intermediate

Received a call today from the salesmanager my my HD dealership. He and the owner went to the dealers convention in Nashville. Saw the owner, in my service department,before he went and told him my problems and asked him to question the tech people about my '07 FLHTCU clatter glide. Well, guess what? When the fix kit arrives at the dealership, they are going to fix mine free of charge. It is the mods they did to the 2008's. Salemanager says the SOB's @ the MOCO said there was not a problem, but as a customer satisfaction move they are going to fix their best customer's bikes at no charge. I am one of their better customers and the owner is one of mine. Hey, I can't complain. I have a good dealer and have always said that on this forum. No complaints with my dealer, just the clatter glide. F***N Yea!

Old 07-17-2007, 04:59 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

I dont think there is a problem either,only the rotten noise which is not a typical hd noise.They should take care of these owners for bring this to light,maybe saving 08 sales,moving all the leftovers.the unsold units probably played into this as much as anything.Glad to hear your dealer has been cool w/you.Many here cant say the same.HD has tried to bury this complaint from the start,yourself and others here wouldnt let it die until satisfied.Some of us paid the price more than others.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:30 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

This issue will never be over until MOCO makes restitution to the customers they have screwed. Bottom line is they built adefective machine, they know it butdon't want to fix it, just weasel out of it. The IDS is just a patch for the symptoms, and NOT a cure.When you have two identical bikes, and oneclatters and one doesn't, there is only one reason, the one that clatters is NOT built to specs, i.e. poor clearance, tolerance's, machining, etc. They may never fixour bikes, but we need todo every thing legally possible to cost them sales, as I havedone so several times now. However, the problem with some of the people, even though HD has given them the shaft, still want to be true, blue to the Harley name. I've tried, as many others have,the nice diplomatic way to get MOCO to do what's right bytheir customers, and it's only obvious that isn't working, so other avenues will need to be taken by way of our all mightycourt systems.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:42 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Time2ride,,,,, yea right,, you try downshifting to 4th at about 2900 rpm's!!!

RBJones... good post!

The rest... well Ive been on bikes my whole life,,, last bunch of years, its been Harley, I aint switchin,
gonna try a 08 I guess,,,,, to many people are happy, a new bike ,hopefully will do it for me.

look in here for the new guy who buys my 07,,, he will be the one, acting like the rest of us pizzed off
felllas!!!

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?