Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 12:31 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

ORIGINAL: CT_Duke

I've heard that people only hear what they want to hear and not I believe they only read what they want to read.

Try reading this and for some I suggest re-reading a few times. The whine in 5th is NOT an issue. There are comments about it but no one is complaining about that. NOT ALL Touring models have the problem of the clatter, bucket of bolts, sloppy gears, how ever one wants to discribe it. If someone has not had the misfortune of hearing the noise then how can that person say it does not exist or is heard only by newbees. I'm 57 and bought my first Harley at 12, yes 12, it was a 57 Hummer (single cylinder-look it up) and been on a Harley every since. Hard tails, pan heads, evos, sporties, electra glides, and this 07 ultra is a piece of crap as it stands now. I DO NOT intentionally lug the engine, I try to keep the RPMs over 2000 at the minimum and the noise is there at all RPMs. It has now migrated to 6th gear and at speeds like 80mph (is that lugging?). Other riders have told me they hear it while following me. It is there and very real. MoCo said they can reproduce the sound in any touring model so if you don't hear it (lucky you) lets wait and see it the recall/fix applies to yours. If one is so sure that the 07 touring models are perfect that refuse any recall/fix that you are told applies. I bet there won't be one of you that refuses it.

Sorry to vent my frustration but my god, don't guess at what is going on or try to tell us we are imagining this s@&t. The MoCo ADMITTED there is a problem with all touring models (some can be heard all the time others not) and they are working on it and since they designed it and built it, I'm sticking with the the MoCo for the time although not much longer. And by the way I am not a Harley batcher, if I ditch this bike my next one will be a Harley, there just is nothing else out there to compare.
[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 09-11-2006, 02:59 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

07 Ultra SE... 500 miles with no noises yet. Went from 03 RKC to this bike, only "complaint" is that it does run hot. It is difficult to NOT lug the motor in daily traffic. Personally I'm not comfortable running from stop light to stop light at 3500 rpm, then again with stock exhaust it's about the only way I can tell the motor is running (LOL). This bike is meant for the wide open highway, where those noises folks are hearing are on the other side of the sound barrier....

Old 09-11-2006, 09:32 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

oldfart, and CT duke,,, amen brothers,,,,,like you my first bike was in 73, was a harley 1 lunger,,, from then till today, umpteen bazillion bikes, raced moto-x dirt,clay, ice ,enduro,TT, quads,,, now does this sound like a newbie? I came here to see if anyone was havin similar probs, and find a solution, but what we got going on in here is the ol.. "other side sux" mentality ,,, my bike was the first 07 sold at my dealer,, the next day, i had owner ride it, he then had top mech. ride it,, went right in on a hoist, tore prim'y apart, no apparent probs, called company, and you know the rest of the story,,,, who would have thought ear plugs would be worn on a ultra?! and to those of you who have the answers,, putt on up to my house and I'll let you ride it,, my dime if you find no problem!!

Old 09-11-2006, 09:54 PM
copout221
Cruiser

Since I changed out the stock exhaust on my bike I cannot hear the fifth gear whine anymore. It never really bothered me especially since this new trans is a lot smoother than my 2006 Ultra's five speed was. As for the hot issue, I noticed that it was a bit hot when stock but have since richened up the AFR and activated the EITMS feature which is pretty cool. I also like the neutral safety feature that has been added to 2007 models. You cannot start the bike if it is in gear and the clutch is engaged. Nice !!!

Old 09-12-2006, 10:02 AM
bucs012
Road Master

ORIGINAL: copout221

Since I changed out the stock exhaust on my bike I cannot hear the fifth gear whine anymore. It never really bothered me especially since this new trans is a lot smoother than my 2006 Ultra's five speed was. As for the hot issue, I noticed that it was a bit hot when stock but have since richened up the AFR and activated the EITMS feature which is pretty cool. I also like the neutral safety feature that has been added to 2007 models. You cannot start the bike if it is in gear and the clutch is engaged. Nice !!!
I did not know my 07 will not start if bike is in 1st and clutch not pulled in. I guess that's a good thing that I don't know yet I have read a lot of my manual but must not have covered that yet.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:27 AM
jbatp92
Advanced

Someone asked at what speed do you shift into 6th at, for me on my Ultra I have been using 70.
The manual says the shift speeds should be: (to me the engine is lugging at these speeds)
1-2 15mph
2-3 25mph
3-4 35mph
4-5 45mph
5-6 55mph
This is from memory, I don't have the manual in front of me.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:02 AM
bucs012
Road Master

I agree. I usually don't shift to 6th gear till at least 65 mph.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:58 PM
copout221
Cruiser

Yep, it was not in my owners manual either (at least I did not see it). I learned about it on this forum. Here is a full PDF on all the 2007 spec's 2007 Spec's. Tons of info that is not included in owners manual or brochures.

ORIGINAL: bucs012

ORIGINAL: copout221

I did not know my 07 will not start if bike is in 1st and clutch not pulled in. I guess that's a good thing that I don't know yet I have read a lot of my manual but must not have covered that yet.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:23 PM
RenoGlide
Tourer

To avoid being called a RUB, YUP or Newbie >> .....Ive been riding 35 yrs, owned 14 HDs ( built 6 myself ) and owned two Bike Shops... hopefully this might qualify me as close to an "Experienced Rider" in some eyes on this board.

Earlier Posting in Black - Comments after 800 mile weekender in Blue:

I have an 07 SG and approaching 1000 miles... yeah, same whine & noise in mine. The noise "sounds" like a bad clutch basket rocking on the trans shaft and then a loose primary chain...yeah I know,... but thats the best description I can come up with.

I can make mine do it in 5th around 2200-2400 rpm...like lazy a shift from 4th to 5th & just cruising along. The 5th gear whine is loud at those rpms but quietens down the faster I go.

I spent alot of time running up & down mountain roads... mostly in 4th & 5th gears...1700 miles on it now... I still have the 5th gear whine but its not as bad as before. Im not sure if the Redline Shockproof Heavy Trans Oil helped it or just more miles. Anyway its quieter now but its still there. However, the weird sounds coming from the Primary area did not go away or get better. After the hours in the saddle, the noise sounds more like a loose compensator or something like that. I did purposely make it do the noise so I could listen and try to come up with a solution or idea...I really dont have either right now. I have read on other boards that possibley the the stock automatic primary adjuster is tightening up too much or new compensator design is the problem.. worth taking a look at. Sometime in the near future, I will remove the cover and dig into it. I plan on replacing the stock adjuster with a HB-125 model. I figure it can't hurt anything.

Additional:
The stock motor runs very lean, fair amount of pinging is all gears especially high speed passing... with 91 or 92 octane.
Stock seat is a 200 miler at best... after that its Butt Burn time
Vibration transfer thru the handlebars is more than I would have expected ... more than my 98 FLHT does.
New 96 motor pulls very good for a stocker and power is decent for a stock HD ... New pipes & download should fix this
Stock Mufflers sound like a Honda VTX-1800
Very glad I installed the Lyndal Gold Brake Pads before I left... very solid braking & feel

Anyway ... overall a good new bike...nothing I cant correct... I hope

Reno
www.FastAire.com

Old 09-12-2006, 03:17 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 5th gear whine to me is no big deal,but is it the start of something else??????.The occasional can of bolts just isnt good.I am by far not new to HDs,I have owned every model since the late 40s,and still own most of them.My last tank of gas neeted me just under 30 mpg.I am not babing this thing cause once the big bore kits become available next month,its getting opened up.There is a problem with some of these bikes,most appear to be tourers.I think with lwrs at least on mine.the noise would be easier to hear more often.Louder noises on the hwy w/o lwrs not in 6th gear is not what I call normal.My dealer also gave me the same line of **** that he has sold many w/o any complaints.If its compensator related I think some of the foreign models would be complaining also.I read where the ratio is lwr in #s than US models.Has anyone had a factory tech rep answer any of this tranny woes?

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?