Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 11:30 AM
cjuetten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

Higher RPMs eliminates my noise...since I have a RK Custom I often don't know what gear I'm in until I hear the clatter. A Speedo/Tach combo is on the top of the XMas list.

I have talked to my dealer on this problem and they unoffcially told me its a lean condition brought on buy EPA standards. If it goes away at higher RPM the solution should be obvious.....you need to adjust your driving style.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:35 PM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well why spend money on a tach then? All you have to do is listen for the chatter and you know you are in 5th (or 6th or both--depending on which box your transmission came out of). We've all heard this "keep the rev's up" solution, and I guarantee you I'm not lugging mine. If the new engine and tranny are so sophisticated why on earth would we need to keep our rpm's up so high anyway? I thought when you put a bigger, more efficient engine with what's supposed to be an improved transmission, and add an additional gear--you'd hear less noise, not more--regardless of your rpm's. Lugging shouldn't cause a chatter--a ping, or engine noise but not transmission chatter. Sorry, not buying it. HD has a bigger problem on their hands than trying to re-educate seasoned riders on where to hold their throttle.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:41 PM
TJRKC
Cruiser

By the way, with regard to them being too lean--totally agree with you on that, but I had a SERT put on, run with a Stage 1 air cleaner and have VH slips. The bike has been dyno'd a few times now. They actually found that mine was running too rich and once they installed the SERT that was dramatically better. However, the plugs are now developing a brown layering and we're watching that. The good news is they are burning evenly. The bike has a very nice fuel:air map now and when it turns 2500 I will be having it dyno'd for HP and torque.

None of the above has any affect whatsoever on my transmission chatter. In addition, two different service departments are equally stumped on an intermittent rubbing noise coming from somewhere in the back of the bike. I must have gotten the crate that was on the bottom.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:36 PM
FLHSbob
Cruiser

This talk of the need to ride at higher rpms to "fix" clatter doesn't make sense at all . Most of my riding is OFF interstates. If I kept the rpm above 3000 I would never be able to get out of 4th gear without getting a speeding ticket. Just my .02cts.
Bob

Old 11-22-2006, 08:36 PM
FLHSbob
Cruiser

This talk of the need to ride at higher rpms to "fix" clatter doesn't make sense at all . Most of my riding is OFF interstates. If I kept the rpm above 3000 I would never be able to get out of 4th gear without getting a speeding ticket. Just my .02cts.
Bob

Old 11-22-2006, 09:30 PM
TJRKC
Cruiser

Could not agree more. If I wanted a bike I'd have to run like that I'd be on a rice-burner.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:57 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

AMEN! I also could not agree more. If my bike didn't clatter, it would be the best bike I have ever had. I will have a hard time ever trusting HD again. I ride this bike and they tell me there is nothing wrong with it. They must know what is wrong with the ones that clatter. It seems the October and November bikes don't have this problem. The problem must have been found and corrected on production bikes. Why don't they want to fix the early bikes and make this go away, I just can't understand. They sure have beat me down.
ORIGINAL: TJRKC

Could not agree more. If I wanted a bike I'd have to run like that I'd be on a rice-burner.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:01 PM
ffb
Tourer

it is all a question of engine rpm's, size of rear end gear,and tranny gearing .

then ,it all falls into place.

for those used to riding harleys it may be a difficult transition.
but for those of us used to holding rpm's near redline before shifting into a taller gear ,it comes by easy .
in my case i was not aware i was doing it until i took a look at the tach.i never expected a harley to perform in this manner without hysterics.

now the question is .........can harley motors hold up under this new demand ? namely ,holding the rpm's at 4,300 in 4th gear before the switch to 5th and then on to 6th .

i know german cars can go 100,000 miles or 160,000 k's at close to redline most of the time before they start showing problems .....

german bikes ???? i do not know except for the old beemer airheads where yes ,they hold up. as do also the old moto guzzis ,do not know about the new ones ..

Old 11-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not saying that keeping the rpms up to eliminate the clatter makes sense - I'm just saying the clatter goes away on mine if I keep it above 2500 rpm. Those that don't have the problem say it's due to lugging the engine which is BS. I switched from an old EVO to the '07 and the old one would let me know when I was lugging it by pinging and chugging and those few occasions were much less than 2200 rpm. I said earlier that I've been COMPENSATING with this new drive train by running at higher rpms. The response pretty much is that I don't know how to ride a Harley.

I have another V-twin - a 1000 cc Suzuki V-Strom - and it never sees less than 3500 rpm when I'm going down the road. Then again, it has a 9500 rpm red line and is made to spin. Like TJRKC said, if I wanted a bike to run like that - and at times I do - then I would ride a rice burner.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:07 AM
ORCUTTHD
Cruiser

WRONG!
Production 10/07
Picked up 10/21/07
CLATTER!

[quote]ORIGINAL: drod

It seems the October and November bikes don't have this problem. The problem must have been found and corrected on production bikes. Why don't they want to fix the early bikes and make this go away, I just can't understand. They sure have beat me down.

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?