Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 01:54 AM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

Just a note to those of you going with non-HD oils in the transmission......because of the noise in my transmission, at my 1000 mi service I requested that they put the Redline product in vs the HD product--I just feel that although HD says otherwise, different components of the engine should have different oils to handle the different heat tolerances, friction diffs and different thicknesses of the metal parts. I wouldn't put transmission oil in my car's crankcase so why would I do it to an expensive bike with a sophisticated engine? I got a call from the service dept manager a couple of hours later asking if I realized that using any oil in the transmission other than HD's SYN3 may void any warranty on the transmission later. With what we're hearing in these new transmissions and the gut feel that we're heading for a recall or mass fix of some sort I pulled back on using anything else. I figure I'll play it by the book on things like this and wanted to pass this along to anyone out there thinking about putting different oils in besides HD's product.....I'm curious if anyone else has heard this from their service dept's with regard to SYN3 and warranty issues later on??

Old 11-15-2006, 01:57 AM
TJRKC
Cruiser

Installing a SERT on mine and even with the slipons I still hear mine chattering away loud and clear. On a positive note, once I came to my senses and stopped trying to keep the rev's up all the time so I didn't hear it, I noticed a huge diff in my miles per gallon. Hmmmm.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:05 AM
TJRKC
Cruiser

Well here's one more doing it if you're counting. For this much money I'd like my ride to make noises that are acceptable and reasonable. How fast would you take a new car back to the dealer or complain if you had an issue with it and it was new? Why should we settle? I'm tired of hearing things like "it's a Harley, get used to noises," or "it's because of the way the teeth are cut," or the myriad other reasons that are being offered up by those lucky enough to not have this noise as to why we should accept it.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:28 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just finished reading the 28 pages of posts on this '07 tranny probs thread.

I took delivery on an '07 EG Classic at the end of September. I only have 1000 miles on it because I am coordinating the 1000 mile service and putting the bike in winter storage. I'm switching to synthetic through out with the service.

I hear a hammering in 5th and 6th at 2000 to 2200 rpm or so WITH THE DRIVE TRAIN UNDER LIGHT LOAD - running down a level road at constant speed. Give it a little gas in that rpm range (what I would call LUGGING) and the rapping disappears.

I've only had one other HD, also an FLHTC, but I rode it for 17 years so I don't consider myself a Newbie. I find myself compensating for the noise by keeping the revs above 2400 rpm. I say compensating because this is not the relaxed cadence that I enjoyed with the old one.

I'm going to discuss it with the dealer when I bring it in for service. I'm going to make sure it's documented on work orders for future lemon law or past warranty coverage. I am confident that Harley will stand behind their product and have a recall if necessary. Maybe they'll handle it like they did the '06 fuel injector issue.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:14 AM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the compensator, not the trans...

1st and 5th are straight cut gears, whine is normal..

[sm=deadhorse.gif]

Old 11-15-2006, 09:38 AM
cunfuzed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

read this article and if you feel ripped off call the harley #and do ask for a buy back maybe something will get done?
http://www.crowderinc.com/2007harley...roadking12.htm

Old 11-15-2006, 12:46 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: cunfuzed

read this article and if you feel ripped off call the harley #and do ask for a buy back maybe something will get done?
http://www.crowderinc.com/2007harley...roadking12.htm
This guy is way off where did he pulled those horsepower numbers from? My guess out of his ****! LOL, the twin cam 88 is rated in the 60+ range and the 96 in the low 70's, where he got his data who knows. He then talks about 5th gear, it whines because of its design, no big deal, a lot of previous years had 4th gear whine, do a search on it here and find the 2 full pages of posts on it. Only thing he understands is the heat but he says Harley should remap before you buy it, they can't thats a big old federal NO NO with fines in the 5 digits, what a dealer may do after the sale is nore of a grey area. All in all he's misinformed and unhappy with his purchase, a few are but most are happy with the 07. Maybe if he understood the noise that a few are unhappy with is caused by the compensator, a part that can be replaced in under a hour he would realize that this will all be addressed and everyone will move on shortly.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:55 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say hes very close on HP #s on the 96.Many others have said the same thing.The 88s arent correct.If it is as easy as replacing the compensator setup this whole thing wouldve been over.If its due to final build clearances on a final bike build Im not sure how they will correct this easily,or cost wise.The factory couldve tightened specs up across the board on the newer releases and quieted this noise down or by the sounds of it eliminated it.This is a guess of course and dont read anymore into it.No way of proving this.I would also like to know if the lifters are still Delphi made units since my noise sounded more top end related as witnessed on dyno and has been a clattering noise on past yrs that too made this type of noise at certain rpms.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:39 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: pittguy

I would say hes very close on HP #s on the 96.Many others have said the same thing.The 88s arent correct.If it is as easy as replacing the compensator setup this whole thing wouldve been over.If its due to final build clearances on a final bike build Im not sure how they will correct this easily,or cost wise.The factory couldve tightened specs up across the board on the newer releases and quieted this noise down or by the sounds of it eliminated it.This is a guess of course and dont read anymore into it.No way of proving this.I would also like to know if the lifters are still Delphi made units since my noise sounded more top end related as witnessed on dyno and has been a clattering noise on past yrs that too made this type of noise at certain rpms.
Delphi is a division of GM that makes the fuel injection system and also now the new security system on the 07, don't think they make the lifters.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:21 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AMS Johnson-Hylift Lifters
for all Twin Cam Harley engines
From 1999 - 2001, Johnson-Hylift supplied lifters to Harley-Davidson...
Johnson-Hylift designed and produced a special piston and valve body
to work across the temp ranges and varying oil psi typically encountered
on an air-cooled engine such as the Harley. Since late 2001, HD has used
Delphi brand hydraulic lifters. That's why there was a Harley p/n change
from 18538-99 to 18538-99A and now 18538-99B. However, Delphi did not
use a 0.655" hi-volume / hi-pressure plunger piston and valve body
specifically designed for Harley as found in the Johnson-Hylift lifters.
Instead, Delphi essentially used a small block Chevy lifter. The main
difference is the Delphi lifter tries to boost the hydraulic psi by decreasing
the piston diameter, but this leads to a smaller high pressure oil reservoir.
The volume is too small and allows the lifter to clatter. That may be why
so many of the late model Twin-Cam bikes are noisy. After doing some
research AMS learned these Delphi version 18538-99B lifters are made too
small to stand up to Harley's heavy valve spring pressure. The oil reservoir
inside the lifter is too small. It doesn't hold enough oil to let the lifter bleed
off under normal use and still have a cushion of compressed oil to take up
valve train slack. Note: ALL lifters bleed off during operation and even
more-so when the bikes sits, engine off.
The 07s use p/n 18538-99b a dephi version according to parts manual.

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?