Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 01:30 PM
darkhorse_ryder
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

ok just got my ultra back from yet another dealer for a second opinion...They did hear my six gear clatter at 2800RPM....they consulted the factory and were told that the shifter dogs float when in six gear and will make this type of clatter...they did authorize the dealer to drain transmission and replace fluid with redline shock proof. At this point that is all that is being done. I put about 150 miles on her yesterday and it did seem to be a little less noisey although the clatter is still there. I think atfor now the only thing to do is call the factory, lodge a complaint, and hope that enough complaints come in from other owners to warrant a better fix....For now that is my plan...call factory, and ride the bike...also planning on adding PC III, slip ons and a k&n...guess the slip ons will cover some noise

no more beating the dead horse as I apparently have been accuesed of....

Old 11-12-2006, 02:18 PM
ORCUTTHD
Cruiser

I say B.S.
Why don't ALL '07 six speeds do this???????????????????????????

[quote]ORIGINAL: darkhorse_ryder

...they consulted the factory and were told that the shifter dogs float when in six gear and will make this type of clatter

Old 11-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Pathfinder
Cruiser

I don't have the problems since I've got an older Ultra with a Screamin Eagle Six Speed but I have monitored your problems for quite a while. I had a candid discussion with a wrench yesterday afternoon concerning his experience with the tranny problems. The shop ordered a new 07 Ultra owner a complete tranny to fix a vibration problem. It ended up being the compensator sprocket. Not the tranny. It supposedly has been redesigned and from what I was told is reversed from older designs. He even went so far as to put the bad compensator sprocket on another bike an that bike immediately developed the same problem. I trust this guy explicitly, he's building me a 103 starting tomorrow. IMHO he's as good as they get on bikes.

Old 11-12-2006, 03:57 PM
christian0632
Tourer

Hmmm... the tranny in my 05 Heritage was all straight cut gears and never made a single tranny clatter noise.

Once again, we hear "it was the whatever" or "he worked on the X and that fixed it". Yet the details are missing. "It ended up being the compensator sprocket"? What the hell is "it"? What was wrong with the compensator sprocket? Was it warped, dented, wrong color? Different material? Didn't fit something right? Backwards? Wrong size? Uncompensatorish? Was it replaced with an older model? Different model? New material? Fit differently?

Details!

CS

Old 11-13-2006, 08:43 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some have found the compensator bolt not properly torqued.Torquing has cured some.I read where one owner had his entire comp sprocket replaced and noise was just as bad or maybe more so.Mine was torqued correctly from factory and clatter lives on.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:33 PM
mdxd62
Intermediate

Have a 2007 Ultra Glide Classic Police Edition on order. Order was placed in July and I was told 30-45 days.
Here I sit November 14th, still no bike.
But with all the crap I have heard about tranny problems, wondering about stopping my order.
Have talked to dealer that says they have had no problems, but have changed the tranny fluid in all orders.
Have been told the gear noise is normal, and that there would be a different noise with the 2007.
Asked about the "rocks in a tin can" complaint, and they stated that was the first they heard of that one.
This is my first Harley out of many, many bikes.
God I hope I did not screw up paying $20,000 cash on this horse.
Anyway, told them I was thinking about stopping my order and I was sent the only two Dealer Communications from Harley Davidson my dealer head wrench said they have recieved.

Not real sure how to copy and post it to here, but I will try.

Notice #1
DEALBR COMMUNICATIONS Harley-Davidson Motor company

Dealer Dep8mneat Routine
..K- Dealer Principal - General Merchandise
X General Manager Budl
- Office Manager - F&I Manager
X Vehicle Sales Manager X H.O.G. Director

x Servj('.C - PaIts

September 26, 2006

To: All U.S. Hadey-Davidson Dealm

Subject: New Sowd o(Big Twin 6-Specd TJaDSuUssions Dear Dealer:

We 8R wliliDg to address the quemoDS we have heard regarding the sound of the 2007 model 6-speed traDsmiSSiODS. Since there is a Doticeable difference between the sound qualities of the 6-speed and the 5-speed trausmissiODS, we believe a11 employees who have customer contact should be able to plOperl.y adviSe our mutual customas. For that reason, we are providing this wormation to share with your staff membeTs:

. The sound 0(the2007 64peed 1r8DSmissio1t is different than the sound of the
S-speed traDsmission of previous model years.
o The 2007 6-speed gearbox was designed using a helical design for second, third and
fourth geus, a spur design for first and fifth gears. and direct drive for sixth gear, and
~h type has a unique sound signature.
o The RPM range on 2007 Big Twins is spread over six gears as co~ to the five
gem of previous model-year tmDSmissions.
o For these reasons, the sound emitted from any particwm: gear will be different thau the
S-speeds.
. Hartey-Davidson has investigated IqIOtIs about the noise diffexenccs and has found no
fU11ctioul issues with the transmission.
. If a customer understands these sound differences, but stiD feds that there is something wrong
with his or her IDOtOlCycle, the customer should be encoumgcd to take it to the selling dealer
for a consul1a1ion.

-::,-:-. a ~..

As is normal practice with majol product changes, all technical infonnation telated to the new traDSmisSi011 is being provided to dealers through lDitial Care Program bulletins. We also intend to develop a teclmica1 article (or customeIS in the Fall/Winter issue of the &thusiast magazine to provide a detailed view of the dift'erences. We appreciate your support in setting the JeCom stmight on this situation.

Sincerely,
Steve Phillips
Vice Ptaidcnt - Quality. Reliability. and Customer Service

Ken Sutton
Vice President - Engineering

TT258 - August 9, 2006
Primary Drive I Starter Noise Complaints
Several dealers and customers have commented about a "dunking" noise coming from the
primary housing during start up. Most dealers suspect a loose compensator because the noise seems to come from the front of the housing. Customers tend to associate it with a starter issue like improper starter drive engagement into the clutch's ring gear. In fact the
condition they are noticing is what is referred to as "Starter Knock". This is a normal sound and condition for all 2001 Twin Cam models.

Changes in the primary drive system increased the diameter and inertial effects of the rotating

Old 11-14-2006, 02:57 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Whats your dealer going to do/say if you end up with a noisey bike.There isnt a dealer that hasnt been aware of the complaints.Roll the dice its your buck.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:08 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its november and your bike is not delivered so its probly not built yet given the short time from assembly to dealer, (5 days or less in most cases) being Ive heard not one person say they have anything other than the NORMAL for 07 noises, starter and slight 5th whine on any touring model with a build date latter than 3rd week in setember (and this was 1 guy only others were around end of august) Id say you will be fine, there has been not one noise related falure or breakdown on any 07 with the exception of 1 that was due to a defective trans. dipstick and it was not related to any of these other topics. Here's what you might not like being you never had a harley, higher heat when stopped than a water cooled import do to lean req. of the EPA, easly corrected with a fuel mangement system, and people coming up to you and saying what a nice bike you have. Do the 3 step upgrade, slipons to get the true harly rumble, free breathing air cleaner and PCIII to reduce heat and add 10 more hp and more torque and richen up the fuel circuit so it runs like it should if not strangled by goverment BS and I bet you are happy as the majority of us 07 owners are.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:44 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

The pc111 and other upgrades arent getting rid of the clatter in all bikes.Cures the ping,detonation improves a detuned stroker of 61 to 66 HP in stock form,greatly improves TQ.Whats left is up to either HD or the aftermarket.Im holding them accountable.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:27 PM
TFR
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed Lucus oil gear lube and engine oil in my first 1000 oil change. Seems to have help the noise in the tranny slightly. It is still there.
I have a PC3 and it also helped the fuel isses...

I am with PITTGUY all the way. HD is responsible for and quality issues in their new design.

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?