Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 08:41 AM
christian0632
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

If you got one that has no noise, count your blessings. I keep waiting for the major bike magazines to review the touring line but at the same time I would be willing to bet Harley has their "special" test bikes waiting for the reviewers.

I also wonder if some are still confusing the tranny clatter with detonation from the lean mix but then I read above and see TJRKC has a SERT and is still getting clatter?

My 07 Ultra has 5th gear whine that I think might be getting better with time. Hard to tell when I have the radio turned up. I have a PCIII on my Christmas wish list and I hope that helps with the clatter. I'm sure it will help with the heat.

Even with the clatter (that I think the PCIII will fix), the 5th gear whine, and the crappy fitment of the tour pack liner and rear fender light, I still like this bike.

I guess I'm just a sucker for a good looking Harley!

CS

Old 11-09-2006, 09:52 AM
FLHX_Rider
Cruiser

On my '07 SG if it has any trans noise, I surely hadn't noticed it.
I generally use 5th in I'd say 80% of my riding. I only grab 6th when over 70mph. Bike has 800 miles on it and all is quiet so far.

The other noise? Could it be when lugging the engine that it gets the compensator slinging loaded - unloaded to cause that rattle sound?
I know the sound of that compensator when you fire the motor up is a little disheartening. I'd bet a cold one it's the compensator
making the noise when the engine is lugging/bucking at low rpms. Lug your engine down low once or twice then roll on the throttle and watch your air cleaner, the motor rocks back and forth on the rubber pretty good. Just a thought...

Old 11-09-2006, 10:16 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's something to think about. In 04 HD came out with the six, you could get either the gears set to convert your 5 speed or a complete trans. I went the gear set conversion. it works great and I have a little 4th gear whine, but don't keep it there long.

If HD could get this six right, what happened in 06 and 07 with the new case design?

Old 11-09-2006, 10:15 PM
christian0632
Tourer

I don't think it's the compensator on mine. I get a little bit of clatter on the freeway doing 65-70 in 6th. Would the compensator make noise if you lugged it in any gear? I get zero in 1-4, a little in 5-6.

CS

Old 11-10-2006, 01:00 AM
ORCUTTHD
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: christiansmith

compensator make noise if you lugged it in any gear? I get zero in 1-4, a little in 5-6.

CS
Mine is the same way, PERFECT at ANY RPM 1-4. Has whine in 5th always & clatter in 5th, mostly at or below 2500rpm but does some above 2500. Just clatter in 6th at same RPM's worst at or below 2500.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Dessie UK
Stage IV

Hi all from across the pond in the UK I took delivery of my FLHTCU on 2 September .After a short ride home(in the rain) I took to the road again on the 9th.I eventually got the chance to get into 5th gear and 6th gear and thought the transmission was going to fall apart 5th was as noisy as hell,like a loud grating noise,took the bike to the dealers the following day with 260 miles on the clock. The technician (mechanic) took the bike out for a test ride and came back 15 minutes later shaking his head from side to side,Took the bike into the workshop and drained the tranny oil expecting to find metal-it was clean. Service advisor tells me "we will order a new transmission " 6weeks later new transmission arrived Got the bike back last weekend-Result No noise in 5th gear or 4th gear At one point I was begining apart from the whine the same as my Heritage had. FLHTCU cost £17,750 in the UK= $30150 and it comes with no Tourpak lamps fitted another $800 So now i'm hoping to get some serious miles on before the weather turns really bad So a new tranny cured my problem. At one point in all of this I was regretting buying the bike as I was more than happy with the Heritage .Previous to that I had a FLHS,also with no problems

Old 11-10-2006, 09:41 PM
GOBB
Intermediate

Dessie, Ride that thing and keep us posted. I wanted the dealer to replace the transmission in mine and they said they can't. Could you ask the dealer what type of oil they put in it?

Old 11-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,458 Likes on 4,367 Posts

And Dessie,
Could you possibly confirm that the dealer did NOTHING ELSE than replace the tranny?? No service bulletin stuff that they just happened to do too? That info could be very useful to some US riders who have an issue with the noise. Mine is A-OK, but most of us are keeping an ear to the ground, re what the MoCo does.

Thanks,
Love your countryside, history, castles and on and on..

ORIGINAL: GOBB

Dessie, Ride that thing and keep us posted. I wanted the dealer to replace the transmission in mine and they said they can't. Could you ask the dealer what type of oil they put in it?

Old 11-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Dessie UK
Stage IV

As far as I am aware they only changed the transmission (the whole transmission,case and all) my bike was an early build 29th June according to the sticker on the ignition switch so perhaps they have tightened tollerances on later models Nothing else was done as far as service bulitins go. Acording to the salesman they have sold several Ultras and mine was the only one with the problem .

Old 11-11-2006, 02:43 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,458 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Musta been just the rare bad assembly job. Thanks, Dessie. Happy UK riding!!

ORIGINAL: Dessie UK

As far as I am aware they only changed the transmission (the whole transmission,case and all) my bike was an early build 29th June according to the sticker on the ignition switch so perhaps they have tightened tollerances on later models Nothing else was done as far as service bulitins go. Acording to the salesman they have sold several Ultras and mine was the only one with the problem .

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?