Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 09:27 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

Have 1300 miles on my '07 SG with no problems. Perhaps I am unable to hear the tranny noise because of the wind or the stereo... I still have the stock pipes on. This is my 4th Harley in the last 12 years and I have had plenty of problems, the worst being replacing an engine on a '99 Fat Boy after 2,800 miles. The moco will do the right thing if you just give them some time. I agree with the majority here that say continue to ride and have fun. Perhaps getting a louder exhaust will mask the tranny noise? I would still rather push mine to the shop than drive a car or ride a rice burner.

I will tell you from my experience that being **** about the situation will get you nowhere.

Ride safe and have fun!

Old 10-31-2006, 11:03 PM
PRUHDRK
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Have a 07 RK and the whine in 5th and the sound from the prim that sounds like the chain is slapping the crap out of something also only in 5th. It does seem to go away when you stray from HDs recks on shifting. Had a Honda magna for the last eight years, and the only other HD ive ever owned was an AMF 1000 Sportster. There are a few noises that im not used to but i just thought it was standard HD. All in all this bike freakin rocks , but i am a little concerned about that trans locking up deal i read about 20 or so pages ago. I have been trying to go easy on the motor per the dealer until the magic 500 mile mark but it seems to run and feel much better with a little more rpm. If there is a problem would it be wise to get the extended warranty while i still can? Good luck all.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:35 PM
darkhorse_ryder
Intermediate

[:@]
Well I am pissed....just got the call from the my dealer that everything about my bike is normal...the service manager said that if I like I could come up and show him what I was bitching about...so I take off work and off I go...I explain to him exactly what and when I am hearing the clatter...it is in 6h gear cruising anywhere between 2500 rpm and 3000 rpm. he then takes a ride and low and behold he hears it and says it is defiinitely there, seems to think it is in the transmission....ok great we are making progress...so I leave the bike, he is going to contact factory and proceed with troubleshooting and I head back to work...well an hour later I get a call from the service manager and he tells me that he just rode the inhouse demo and it seems to have the same noise, so it must be inherent with the bike so it is now considered normal....WTF....how am I suppose to deal with that???? as far as they are concerned it is a closed issue....

I am not bitching about the 5th gear whine...that is something that hd did with that damn straight cut gear....but clatter at cruising speed??? I am really regretting the day I plopped down my hard earned bucks for somthing that is f'd up and I am suppose to just be ok with that...I even explained to the dealer that I have ridden others and they don't have the clacking...but the response was, I guess they just got lucky with tighter specifications....would love to see a big ole' class action suit hit the motor company....

Old 11-02-2006, 05:53 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

click this :

[IMG]local://upfiles/16696/C0EC98641B0E41C9AC48086D6625CF36.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-02-2006, 06:02 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont say that to hastily.LOL How does a comparision of a bike with a COMPLETLY different motor and transmission relate to what these guys are talking about? My chevy doesnt clatter either so I guess we could use it too and say its all BS.

ORIGINAL: GOBB

I rode a 06 today and I put it in 5th at 30 miles per hour to check on the lugging B.S. It had no rattle. I lugged it to death and no rattle. Maybe I'm not as dumb as some people think!

Old 11-02-2006, 06:07 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes!!!! that is exactly what it is!! The noise is the sound of someone beating the poor dead horse, Ive been hearing it everytime I log onto the forum! LOL

ORIGINAL: hd2007

click this :

[IMG]local://upfiles/16696/C0EC98641B0E41C9AC48086D6625CF36.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-02-2006, 07:00 PM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an update here....I've not gotten anywhere either with my '07 RKC transmission chatter. I complain every chance I get to the dealer. It's been in now a couple of times for SERT-related stuff and I've made sure that they remain aware of my discontentment. So far they remain consistent in their feedback--and it's become I think the standard response for them: "you have straight cut teeth on the 1st and 5th gears, and helically cut teeth on the other gears, therefore you'll have a chatter in those gears." So my question to Harley would be, can you please make those of us who are apparently wanting too much out of our 20K+ dollars happy and switch our straights to helicals??? Seems like an easy fix if the problem is really what they say it is, and it'd sure go a long way for those of us who actually do hear the chatter even over performance exhausts! Mine sounds like someone threw a handful of gravel into the transmission when I'm in those gears, and I hear it in 6th as well which tells me it may be more that how the teeth are cut.

I also have a very concerning intermittent whine/rub noise coming from the rear end of the bike. It is not affected by clutching, acceleration, braking or anything else--it's just very noticable at speeds 30 and below. This one even has the dealer perplexed. The deflection tests out fine on the belt so we can rule that out. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this on their new RK's?

Old 11-08-2006, 12:03 PM
cheerfuldave
2nd Gear

I picked up the American Rider December magazine last night. The cover feature is a 3,851 mile report on the 07 Road King Classic. The article stated that this bike runs no leaner or hotter than previous year's models and in the second to last paragraph mentions some transmission noise.
"When started the engine bursts into life with a sudden thud....."

"At idle the engine seems to shake more than the 88, which will either please you or disappoint you. I liked it."

"Then there is the nearly perfect transmission, flawed only by a slight amount of mechanical chatter in fifth gear......"
At least it did not say "normal whine" I am not sure how a sentence can correctly contain the word perfect and mechanical chatter at the same time??

Old 11-08-2006, 01:10 PM
darkhorse_ryder
Intermediate

makes ya kinda think they are in bed with the motorcompany don't it

Old 11-09-2006, 02:31 AM
eveoengine
Intermediate

I have an 07 FLHTCU purchased 8/25/07 that does not have any noise at all. The 04 FLHTCUI that I had owned had much more noise. The 07 has 3,000 miles on it now. Best Harley I have owned to date.

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?