Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:33 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

My 07 SG is alittle over a week old now and the trans noise increases daily,esp when it comes up on temp.5th gear whine is getting worse and heard the clunking sound first today.6 gear is still quiet but thats when the harsher noise is present.This noise is above 2200rpms.The whine to me sounds more T/O brg and seems more audible on bikes r/h side.Clutch lever wont return entirely w/o pushing it full extended.HD couldnt have tested the touring models,just slapped together from past experiences.Thanks for the # for customer service and yes everyone should be letting them know.Maybe a lawsuit is what will be needed to settle this.Why is it that someone has to get hurt or killed before any action is expedited?

Old 09-08-2006, 07:40 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to adjust your clutch cable ,if you have to push it up. they stretch when new .

Old 09-08-2006, 07:45 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Lever has already been adjusted,this happened w/in the first 100 miles.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:48 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here about the clutch lever.. 2nd day of owning the bike , when brought back to the dealer, they looked into the prim'y to see what was causeing the " 07 noise" and checked clutch adjustment then,, couldnt see any prob's as far as noise,, and was told lever is like that because of a little clip that stops lever from vibrating,,, Ive got 2500 miles,, still unsettling noises,, whirs and clacking in 5th 6th,, I DONT LUG!.....
MY 03,, get on and enjoy the "harley experience",,, get lost in the wind,, enjoy all what we know about the highway,,, jump on the 07 EGUC, ride 5 miles and tune into" what the hells happin with my bike",,,, now how enjoyable is that?????!!! pay twice the price for a bike, and the enjoyable ride disappears!!.. you all have thieroies, and answers,, but its bull crapp to me,, do you trade your entry level chevy for a caddy and HATE IT? I dont think so... 1 more thing,,, how about the sound you get when you hit the starter button,,,, Im lookin around to see who hit the side of my engine with a ballpean hammer?!!!!!.. Im just dyin to love this bike like I do all my others,, but its not easy!!

Old 09-09-2006, 01:47 PM
RoadGlide07
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luckly the starter noise only happens once a ride. It is soon forgotten once the "rocks in a can" starts.

I didn't find the excess clutch slack to be a problem. It normally is set to about 1/8" but it came from the factory at about 1/4". At this setting the lever doesn't return all the way. I changed it to 1/8" and found that the reach had increased and didn't like the feel of it. I went back to the 1/4". Works fine other than it doesn't return tight up against clamp.

I love the bike but worried about the long term effect of the drive train noise. I have considered getting the extended warranty but not sure what good that is if HD considers problems like this as being "normal".

Old 09-09-2006, 02:54 PM
fiddlefadel
Advanced

I have been following this thread with interest. Is the rattleing noise primarily when you start out in first gear. My '07 RG does make a skipping sound then, like there is something wrong in the primary. Last weekend I started out from a stop and I heard and felt 2 loud pops or snaps, I pulled over to the curb to see what the problem was, I though that the belt or primary chain broke. Mine started doing this at about the 850 mile mark. When I took it in for the 1000 mile service a couple weeks ago, I mentioned this to the dealer and asked if he could check the primary tensioner. I have read on other forums that the HD automatic chain tension will adjust the chain too tight over time and then explode. Many riders went back to the static tensioner. Too bad their is no inspection window now.

As A side note, the HD demo fleet was here last weekend and I rode a '07 Ultra CVO and it did the same thing.

Also, my transmision whines in first gear, when you're at a stop light with the clutch pulled in, it sounds like an ambulance is approaching. My 5th is alright. Maybe I should listen closer! LOL!

Dave

Old 09-09-2006, 03:13 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GODDD DANGGGG ITT!!!!!,,, Just the mere fact that we are here, trying to figure out our brand new bikes, PIZZZZes me off, when we should be out enjoying them!!!....
I am by far ,not a puter geek,, but my locale, I thought the net would be good source for info, as I found out that I'm not the only wine azz,, WHEN IS ***** G AND THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL FILM CREW GOIN TO SHOW UP AND OFFER ME SCREAMIN EAGLE ULTRA FOR ALL MY PAIN AND SUFFERIN?! THEN ME BE HAPPY, DONT WORRY,.. its raining now , as I am a Lineman, Im goin to go out and patrol the transmission high line in the swamp on the 07 ultra,,,, i fgure muck, silt,clay ,and beaver chit outta quiet down this 1920 steam driven singer sewing machiene!!..

Old 09-09-2006, 07:07 PM
RoadGlide07
Advanced

ORIGINAL: fiddlefadel

I have been following this thread with interest. Is the rattleing noise primarily when you start out in first gear. My '07 RG does make a skipping sound then, like there is something wrong in the primary. ....
Dave
In my situation the noise occurs at low rpms (below 2200K) in all gears but more noticeable in 4th and 5th. It is not the whine of the straight cut gears but a clatter or "rocks in a can" sound when coasting and applying a slight load with the throttle. It isn't noticeable until after the engine and transmission have warmed up... about 10 to 15 minutes into a ride. I have a 07 RG with 1600 miles on it. This is very similar (I guest identical) to the rattleing noise when starting out in first gear if you don't have the rpms high enough. It has the 5th gear whine as well but that is tolerable.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:17 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

I refuse to take mine in and get the shrugged shoulder answer.Hd will know what caused mine to fail because its not going back until its in pieces or locked up solid.I wish I never bought this bike.Customer service has been useless on this issue and the dealers say theyve never had one come back with any complaints.Stay away from these 07 models,at least the touring models.HD hasnt done their homework on these new models.And seem to refuse to even acknowledge there is one.Everyone of these trannys should be replaced down the road if an answer is found.What an 07,buy a metric or keep your older models,buy used.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Nails
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Any trans will clunk if you lug the motor, learn when and where to shift and eliminate the problem, to continue to lug which a lot of harley riders due for some reason can damage any year trans. as to the 06 and straight cut gear noise, its a completly different trans in the 07 it sounds different, why they put straight cut gears in first and fith I cant say but these were tested in all the 06 dynas and thousands of test miles in baggers over the last two years, its just a noise issue, the only reason 06 and back wasn't heard is the dang motors have a 80% higher cam and motor noise leve than the quite 96". Ive been riding hogs for near 40 years and my 07 is on the truck headed this way now, I will tell you first hand when I get it if its a big deal.
I agree. You should not be riding your harley at 2000-2200 rpms in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear. That is lugging, and is horrible for your engine. Lugging your engine with the 4" stroke was bad enough; doing it with the new and longer 4 3/8 stroke is just plain stupid. It puts way too much stress on the bottom end. My 5th gear is butter smooth just like 4th and 6th until the rpms get below 2600. Then things get pretty noisy. I just keep the rpms where the engine is happy and the grin stays on my face. I never shift into 4th, 5th, or 6th until I'm above 3200 rpms.

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?