Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 06:42 PM
SonnyMax
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

HD rep checked out tranny noise today and said that mine was excessive. He had them check the compensator and it was not torqued completely. Still has a clatter, but it happens at much lower rpms the way the HD rep expected it to. Can live with it now, since do not usually run that low. Mine started clattering at 2500-2600. Now starts clattering around 2100 and not as loud. Had to check for myself.
He, also, said that my bike runs extremely well with no hesitations or pulsing the was some bikes were doing. Pulls strong all the way through. Only change made are the SE one piece slip ons. He liked the sound as well.
His bike is a 06 Street Glide which he had increased to the 95 and he said that the 95 does not approach the 96 in performance. I do have to say that I love the way the 96 engine compares to the 2006 88 engine that I had. Both FLHT models.

Ride safe.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:56 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't have time to read all the posts, but I was just at my dealer and the service writer said that the MOCO plans on discussing the new tranny, including the noise issues, in an upcoming Enthusiast. If ya'll got an '07, ya should be getting that magazine for at least a year so maybe keep an eye out for it. Hope this turns out to be true, but if not, I'm just repeating what I heard at my dealer.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:45 PM
Fishpart
Tourer

When I bought my 07 FLHT the salesperson specifally stated about the whine in 5th and of course stated that was normal, she also stated to not use 6th until 65 MPH or over. In 3 weeks I've rode 1,800 miles, my ears have always been in tone with whatever I'm riding or driving and I've always been able to pick out noises that just were not right. With my 07 the only noise I've heard is that which was explained when I bought it in 5th while riding in 5th the noise goes away with higher RPM's, I would never follow the manual on when to shift because the manual doesn't know my bike I've never experienced the box of rocks noise and hope to never experience it. this bike make much less noise then my 05 M50 Suzuki Boulvard did and I rode that thing over 15,000 miles with the noises it made. I've noticed no unusual noises upon start up and have had no loss of power, I ride year around and have a daily 45 mile commute both highway and city.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:39 AM
darkhorse_ryder
Intermediate

ok got my bike back from the 1K service and addressing my complaints about the clatter. Dealer contacted HD and the motorcompany told them to change the compensator assembly and also gave them a new torque spec for the install. Well this morning I rode into work, first highway ride since I got my bike back, and it is worse now then before. Clatter is present in 5h a little around 2500 rpm(65-70mph) but when shift to 6th and it sounds terrible. Even at 80-90 mph it is loud as hell. Anytime the throttle is cracked and the engine has to work on comes the clatter.....I also am picking up a solid vibration in my feet and legs....this bike should be smooth as silk at highway speeds...so today it is going right back to the dealer for some more bitching...I bought this ultra to replace my heritage in order to have a nice SMOOTH touring bike...well my 03 heritage never clattered nor did it shack my boots on the boards....[:@] yeah I am really getting pissed...and as far as this noise, there is no way it can be normal...I can take gear noise, tranny whine, but loud clatter...no way that is normal....I have owned 4 speed sportsters(chain drive), a deuce, and a heritage....and have never had any of them make this kind of racket...

Old 10-31-2006, 10:20 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

and the saga continues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,458 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Seems if the comp. assy. is what the dealer replaced and then on the next ride the noise is worse, then: A. Your problem was indeed the comp. and, B. The service dept. seriously screwed up the replacement/fix.

Repost please, Darkhorse, after the next round of fix at the dealer??[:-]

ORIGINAL: darkhorse_ryder

ok got my bike back from the 1K service and addressing my complaints about the clatter. Dealer contacted HD and the motorcompany told them to change the compensator assembly and also gave them a new torque spec for the install. Well this morning I rode into work, first highway ride since I got my bike back, and it is worse now then before. Clatter is present in 5h a little around 2500 rpm(65-70mph) but when shift to 6th and it sounds terrible. Even at 80-90 mph it is loud as hell. Anytime the throttle is cracked and the engine has to work on comes the clatter.....I also am picking up a solid vibration in my feet and legs....this bike should be smooth as silk at highway speeds...so today it is going right back to the dealer for some more bitching...I bought this ultra to replace my heritage in order to have a nice SMOOTH touring bike...well my 03 heritage never clattered nor did it shack my boots on the boards....[:@] yeah I am really getting pissed...and as far as this noise, there is no way it can be normal...I can take gear noise, tranny whine, but loud clatter...no way that is normal....I have owned 4 speed sportsters(chain drive), a deuce, and a heritage....and have never had any of them make this kind of racket...

Old 10-31-2006, 12:26 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

Or they just PATCHED his and the new compensator went on another bike...

Old 10-31-2006, 12:37 PM
darkhorse_ryder
Intermediate

ok now there is no doubt in my mind that my ride is screwed up....My buddy at work also purchased an 07 ultra, about 2 weeks before me....he kindly just let me take a putt on his and guess what??? No 6th gear clatter....yes it did have the infamous 5th gear noise but when I reached 3K or about 70 mph I went to 6th and it was as smooth as a babies ***...like I thought a dresser with a 6 speed should. the wind, prrr of the engine, and the typical gear train noise one expects from a HD, was actually able to cruise at about 65 with no real headaches and remain in 6th....so defiinitely going back to the stealer this afternoon with my bro in tow and we shall compare bikes with the service manager....will keep you all posted as my saga continues...

later

Old 10-31-2006, 12:55 PM
janman55
Road Captain

6th on my 07 Ultra is quiet and sounds exactly like 4. 5th has that different sound that I've gotten used to.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:33 PM
GOBB
Intermediate

I rode a 06 today and I put it in 5th at 30 miles per hour to check on the lugging B.S. It had no rattle. I lugged it to death and no rattle. Maybe I'm not as dumb as some people think!

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?