Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 11:11 AM
ndotken
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

I realize that ragging about it does no good but if noone raises h#ll about it nothing will be done.And having HDs C/S say this really gets your blood pressure up.Their people watch this forum believe me,so do dealers and the people that work for them.
Just got my customer satisfaction survey in the mail for my '07 RKC. I filled it out honestly and completely. Wrote a long detailed explanation on the last page. After riding metric's for years, this is my third HD bike and I know when something doesn't sound normal.

Also talked to a friend of mine yesterday that works for the local newpaper, which is owned by the same company that owns USA Today. He took down alot of notes about the problems and the links to this forum and others. He's going to talk to the local HD dealer service department (that should be interesting to see what they tell him). He feels certain they will publish an article on the problem and that USA Today will pick it up and run it nationally.

Maybe, just maybe, when MoCo's customer satisfaction ratings go in the tank, and/or people stop lining up to buy them because of bad publicity, somebody in HD Customer Service will take note and get someone's a$$ in gear.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,462 Likes on 4,369 Posts

Would be nice if the USA today reporter also read the topic in 'General Harley Davidson Chat' titled 'Thread for people who love their 07's'.

Have A Nice Day

Old 10-21-2006, 02:11 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you read this : JUST 2 OR 3 GUYS WITH PROBLEMS POSTING OVER AND OVER AGAIN WITH PROBLEMS !!! most are happy!!!

Old 10-21-2006, 02:13 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,843 Likes on 1,599 Posts

I'm suprised there isn't a POLL yet. You can only vote once and then we'd see the real ratio... around here anyway.

lp

ORIGINAL: hd2007

Make sure you read this : JUST 2 OR 3 GUYS WITH PROBLEMS POSTING OVER AND OVER AGAIN WITH PROBLEMS !!! most are happy!!!

Old 10-21-2006, 05:33 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many have this noise but dont chime in.They are referred from other web sites and are not members or wish to be I guess.Some are members and say nothing,just look at members viewing at top of thread link once in awhile.Some people have just not heard it due to windshield height maybe fairing type or just arent familiar w/HDs.Granted some owners have quiet bikes and you are the lucky ones.Detonation is also a contributer to this noise and fueling upgrades are your only choice as of now.These bikes banging cant be making TQ #s claimed by HD.The dealers would be the best way to determine how widespread this is.But they wouldnt come out and say willingly.Calling HDs C/S is a good way to measure the problems they must have by the waiting period ,although lately it seems to be much faster. Many have just gave up on that route.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:26 PM
cjuetten
Tourer

The problem is very common and yes not everybody feels a need to pipe in. Personally I'm convinced the problem is from running too lean and too much timing at low rpm. I noticed a slight pinging at the same speeds and rpm before the clatter started. There is no problem if I keep the rpms up and that's what I'll do until I get a chance to work on the fuel maps and timing (winter project). Its unlikely Harley will do much as the real problem is not the trans/comp-sprocket/primary chain or whatever. These components only echo the pre-gnition problem. Any change to fuel ratio or timing will not allow them to met EPA standards so don't hold your breath.

Since I have a RK Custom I'll have to break down and get a tach other than that its the price you pay for a factory 96" air cooled.

KEEP THE RPMS UP. GAS MILAGE WILL IMPROVE, MOTOR WILL RUN COOLER, LAST LONGER, NO MORE PRE-IGNITION, NO MORE ROCKS IN A CAN, NO MORE WHINNING (driver and bike

My 07 is far superior to my 92 Softtail and if I have to twist it a little more so be it. Actually 5th gear in my 07 is taller than high gear in my 92.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Dsanchez
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tranny seems ok at 1300 mi. I'm running their Primary/trans fluid- FORMULA. I did notice some pinging if I cranked the throttle back all the way. I have since added a PC III and SE air...no more ping. Love the bike but its not right that I had to do these things to get it to run right. For this I am disappointed in Harley's latest product.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:42 PM
jpcurryhd
6th Gear

Have you heard any news on the clatter ? I got mine back from the dealer for the same problem, they retorqued the comp sprocket and the noise went away for a few miles and was right back when fully warmwd up.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:32 PM
TFR
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of you that have a nice 2007 that makes no noise, I am glad.
For some of us who are having problems, the guys who are not should be helping us get them resolved not making disruptive comments about our misfortune.

This forum is for HD owners to express their likes and dislikes. Simple...

This is my first Harley. I swore I would never own one because until now I thought they were old school antiques that leaked oil and broke down everytime you rode it.
I sold my metric bike and made a 21K commitment to a bike I thought was going to be much better then in the past. The reason I thought they were better was because I work for a supplier to HD. HD is extremely particular about our quality so I assumed they would be with their own.
So far I love the bike and have spent 2500 more in add ons. That makes me commited to this bike for a while therefore I want it to run well and sound good...

A little understanding and support would be appreciated.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:50 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,462 Likes on 4,369 Posts

Hey TFR,
You absolutely got our support. Of the bajillion thread replies I've seen, I don't think I've seen any of us with no problems taking a shot at anyone that does. That would be pretty bad.

I do see a number of replies though that express frustration with a few of the complainers that clearly cross the line from asking for help with the problem to just try to trash HD. That's destructive. Suspect one of em doesn't even own a bike.

Let's keep the pressure appropriately turned on to get fellow bikers' scoots fixed that have true problems.

Cheers

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?