Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 12:56 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

You know the 06's and back whined in 4th gear, nobody talks about that though, if you dont believe me do a search on 4th gear whine, 2 full pages of posts, same as the 07 in 5th, some had it some didn't.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:42 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I listen hard to the clatter I get in 4th-6th,,,, sometimes I wonder if it aint in the valve train,,,,,, didnt I read somewhwere about hyd lifter noise if they are plugged? jus a thought

Old 10-07-2006, 12:48 PM
CT_Duke
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rmarion

I still believe that 2000 is lugging..........................BUT!!!!!!!!!

today, I tried (my 2006) and rode her around while maintaining 2000k rpm's. I believe I was in 4th gear crusing around 50 mph. I can tell ya............my motor cruises SWEET at 2000 rpms..............I could not believe how smooth she was, no rattle, shakes what so ever.................

I still believe 2k is lugging and mainly not ride below 2,800 rpm. I was suprised that my motor didn't shake at 2k.

Maybe I change my riding style and get some more mpg's..........
Hello!! Anyone home?? You are riding an 06 not an 07!! The problem lies with the 07 Touring models NOT the 06! So get off the f($king lugging until you either ride an 07 WITH the problem or you ride along side someone that has a problem 07. Am I getting frustrated with some of the stupid comments made in this thread that don't even relate to the problem of clattering on the 07 Touring models? Duh, yeh I am.
(%*)#(*^

Old 10-07-2006, 12:58 PM
CT_Duke
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

You know the 06's and back whined in 4th gear, nobody talks about that though, if you dont believe me do a search on 4th gear whine, 2 full pages of posts, same as the 07 in 5th, some had it some didn't.
Another one with the lights on and no one home. Now read real carefully. THE WHINING IS NOT THE ISSUE, IT IS THE CLATTERING or whatever you, as an expert, wish to call it. Go start a thread on whining, you seem to be a true expert on that. Also your ealier post with the comment on the 07 Softtail's having the same engine and transmission. You may be partially right there in the very basics, but you imply there is absolutley no difference in the Touring and Softtail engine/transmissions. How wrong you are, there are differences in the engine (not sure of the tranny, I believe they are the same) that could influence the clatter being heard. What are they, why any Harley expert would know, right?.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:08 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GET EM!!!!! CT

Old 10-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Johnny Law
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: CT_Duke

ORIGINAL: rmarion

I still believe that 2000 is lugging..........................BUT!!!!!!!!!

today, I tried (my 2006) and rode her around while maintaining 2000k rpm's. I believe I was in 4th gear crusing around 50 mph. I can tell ya............my motor cruises SWEET at 2000 rpms..............I could not believe how smooth she was, no rattle, shakes what so ever.................

I still believe 2k is lugging and mainly not ride below 2,800 rpm. I was suprised that my motor didn't shake at 2k.

Maybe I change my riding style and get some more mpg's..........
Hello!! Anyone home?? You are riding an 06 not an 07!! The problem lies with the 07 Touring models NOT the 06! So get off the f($king lugging until you either ride an 07 WITH the problem or you ride along side someone that has a problem 07. Am I getting frustrated with some of the stupid comments made in this thread that don't even relate to the problem of clattering on the 07 Touring models? Duh, yeh I am.
(%*)#(*^
ORIGINAL: CT_Duke

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Another one with the lights on and no one home. Now read real carefully. THE WHINING IS NOT THE ISSUE, IT IS THE CLATTERING or whatever you, as an expert, wish to call it. Go start a thread on whining, you seem to be a true expert on that. Also your ealier post with the comment on the 07 Softtail's having the same engine and transmission. You may be partially right there in the very basics, but you imply there is absolutley no difference in the Touring and Softtail engine/transmissions. How wrong you are, there are differences in the engine (not sure of the tranny, I believe they are the same) that could influence the clatter being heard. What are they, why any Harley expert would know, right?.
What a laugh. Flolks trying to help with their idea's on what they think is wrong (A Forum). And the folks with problems not wanting to hear anything but sympathy (may get a shotgun blast for that because it is not mentioned in a previous post reply). Well there are more ideas out there other than yours. Sorry you have problems. And Sorry your so defensive about it. (I know we pay a bunch of cash for our bikes) And thanks to all the folks that have the guts to help out, post a reply and take the chance on not hitting the whole issue as posted. Man if I knew the answer to your bikes problem I dont think Id let you know. Well S&@t I would let you know, I got thick skin. A little advice that your not going to take anyway. Pay no attention to the post replies you dont like and glean some info from the answers that make sense. My $0.02 that you dont want. Good on you rmarion and gunrunner for trying to help out a fellow biker with your theories. Dang what a great country we live in !! Ok back to you blast away!!
JL

Old 10-07-2006, 08:09 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Several of us w/the same issues have banded together and kept each up to date on status,feedbacks etc via private communications.Of course any earth shattering info will be relayed to all.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Johnny Law
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: pittguy

Several of us w/the same issues have banded together and kept each up to date on status,feedbacks etc via private communications.Of course any earth shattering info will be relayed to all.
I am waiting to hear the answer too. I have my thoughts but without hearing and riding the bike's in person Im only armchair troubleshooting. Like electraRICK said when he started the post "lets keep this one goin". I will be reading the theories until then.
JL

Old 10-07-2006, 08:39 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem is while we are trying to figure out this noise,no one on the factory side seems to be.We are tired of going to our dealers only to be told noise couldnt be heard,or thats the nature of this new bike.Calling C/S has produced very very little other than go back to dealer and start this cycle all over again.Take your bikes to the dealers and LEAVE them until the noise is no more.Most states have a 15 day window on this and dealer could be forced to take it back.Ive tried all their ways w/no avail,time for harsher methods.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:16 AM
daconiam
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I have a 07 Black Cherry Ultra due to arrive on the 2nd of November and I am VERY Nervous about buying it now. I have an 05 Heritage and wanted to upgrade to an Ultra for my "final" style of bike.

Should I wait or get an 06 instead???? I asked my dealer today about any problems he has heard about the 07s and he said that some folks talked about a "noisy" 5th gear but thought it was nothing to worry about......

Scared and I admit it........

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?