Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 06:50 PM
radrex
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

Well boys(&Girls) - just picked up my 07 White Gold Ultra today. I've had this thing on order for a month and a half.

All I've got to say after 200 miles - Awesome... No whine - No Clatter.... Smooth as silk.

It was 92 degrees today and it is hot on this bike - but not any different that the 06 Ultra I rented a couple of months ago..

All I've got to say at this point - is - WOW.... The 6 speed is sweeeeeeet.. It is a ton better than the 06..

Good luck to you who are having problems.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:08 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

Wait till the 1000 mile service...

Old 10-01-2006, 03:19 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Good luck, sounds like maybe your on the good side of the fence. In a couple of weeks throw the ones of us on the bad side of the fence a post and let us know if anything changes.
ORIGINAL: radrex

Well boys(&Girls) - just picked up my 07 White Gold Ultra today. I've had this thing on order for a month and a half.

All I've got to say after 200 miles - Awesome... No whine - No Clatter.... Smooth as silk.

It was 92 degrees today and it is hot on this bike - but not any different that the 06 Ultra I rented a couple of months ago..

All I've got to say at this point - is - WOW.... The 6 speed is sweeeeeeet.. It is a ton better than the 06..

Good luck to you who are having problems.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:50 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RebelRouser

Just got off the phone with a dealership in La. I was working out a deal. I get on the phone with the sales manager and this man tells me he's looking for a Black Harley. I told Him I didnt want one that had the problems to find a new one off the asembly line. He said - Quote - THEY ALL DO IT. THERE GOING TO WINE. iT'S BECAUSE OF THE DIFFERANT CUT IN THE GEARS AND ITS JUST THE NATURE OF THE BEAST. DO YOU WANT IT OR NOT ? I SAID - BUT WHAT IF I RIDE IT AND IT SOUNDS BAD ? HE SAID DO YOU WANT IT OR NOT ? I SAID NO. End quote.
That right there tells you what Harley is going to do. NOTHING ! He said there was no problem.
HOW DO YOU LIKE HARLEY NOW ???? BECAUSE OF THIS PHONE CALL I WILLNOT OWN A HARLEY UNTILL THEY HAVE A BETTER ATTITUDE ABOUT THERE CUSTOMERS.
Don't hold your breath.

From what I've read so far and the bulletins I've seen HD understands people are hearing the whine - and they don't plan on doing anything about it. In fact, the dealer will be showing the sheet to customers so they know ahead of time that their new bike may whine.

HD could care less, they are going to sell their bikes no mattter what. This too will past just like other issues in the past.

10 yrs ago it was next to impossible to buy a HD off the showroom floor. Today, with the number of bikes HD is pumping out, it's not an issue. Sad but true.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:38 AM
drod
Tourer

What does it take to get those idiots at HD to understand it is not the whine in 5th gear we are complaining about? The whine is fine, I don't mind it. It is all clattering, rattling and hammering that I can't stand! And I am sick and tired of hearing 2500 in 5th gear is lugging! I guess they think they are so great they don't even test them before they are built and sold anymore!

Old 10-02-2006, 04:09 PM
RebelRouser
Banned

Got a chance to ride a 07 UltraClassic sunday. We went to a Bears for Bears ride and I met a nice couple that we rode beside in the run. I told Him I was wanting to buy a UltraClassic but was worried. He said He wasnt having any problem with His. WELL ! As we were riding together for 12 miles I thought His bike was going to come apart. I even told Him at the police station where the ride stopped. He told me He never owned a Harley before and thought it was just normal. Well to be honest myself , i thought people on here were getting a little out there but after riding beside one that did it....WOW . He let me ride it. GOOD GOD ! I cant believe Harley would even let a bike go out like that. It sounds bad. It's like something is comming apart in the primary or close to it and the 5th gear wines like a truck. This is really going to take Harley down a notch . I thinked the man for letting me ride it and drove off. I now know theres no way I would own a 07 Harley untill they fixed that mess. Thanks for the ride Bill.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:42 PM
drod
Tourer

I am glad you got to ride one before you bought. Now you understand why we have trying to get you to wait. Just wait until the problem goes away. It might be '08 bikes before it is fixed, but at least you won't be stuck with one like SOME of us are. Not everybody, just some. It doesn't look like they have any plans to fix the '07 bikes. The letter and dealers say there is nothing wrong with the '07 bikes. We just don't know how to ride a Harley.
ORIGINAL: RebelRouser

Got a chance to ride a 07 UltraClassic sunday. We went to a Bears for Bears ride and I met a nice couple that we rode beside in the run. I told Him I was wanting to buy a UltraClassic but was worried. He said He wasnt having any problem with His. WELL ! As we were riding together for 12 miles I thought His bike was going to come apart. I even told Him at the police station where the ride stopped. He told me He never owned a Harley before and thought it was just normal. Well to be honest myself , i thought people on here were getting a little out there but after riding beside one that did it....WOW . He let me ride it. GOOD GOD ! I cant believe Harley would even let a bike go out like that. It sounds bad. It's like something is comming apart in the primary or close to it and the 5th gear wines like a truck. This is really going to take Harley down a notch . I thinked the man for letting me ride it and drove off. I now know theres no way I would own a 07 Harley untill they fixed that mess. Thanks for the ride Bill.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:08 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought since we all have been so focused on the 07's that I would give my first thoughts so here goes. I conducted my tests wearing a beanie helmet with radio off. Bike tends to shake at idle slightly more than my 02 classic, is as fast stock as my 02 is with SE pipes/air filter and download. Transmission; After reading about this for the past 6 or 8 weeks The 5th gear does not whine IMO, It does have a different sound best I can describe it is like when riding and you go from asphalt to concrete. To those that keep saying they are waiting for a fix, It wont happen this is just the sound of the straghit cut gear and unless harley changes this design on a upcoming year and you buy a that model your stuck with it, but for the life of me I cant see the hubub over it, I kinda like it, cause with no gear selection light, you can tell when you hit number 5. I tried to get mine to make a clatter, was not able to in 1-5 gears, I could get it to make a different sound if I was in 6th and let the bike slow to 50-55 about 2000-2300 and really laid into the throttle but it sounded more like exhaust tring to get out and this was for sure lugging the motor, above 2400 and she rolled on power great. 6th is not needed below 70 mph as you are only running 3k at 70 in 5th then 6th drops it to 2500 rpm. I tried lugging in 2-5 and could get no clatter, I am still low in miles at about 100 and will keep a check and inform if things change. I do say it clunks more shifting the gears than my 02. I think all this will get much better with a good syn trans lube which I will do soon. Heat; Yes it seems to be more at idle than my 02 but not greatly so and with air cleaner/muffs and fuel management this should be better. I can say this bike runs good and Im happy. As for noises this bike in lean stock form is not super quite with some more motor noise that will go away when tuned right and I thought the stock mufflers were louder but this bike is very quite and is way to restricted and needs free flowing mufflers to let the motor breath. I would not buy one of these bikes if I did not want to change a few things, Harleys hands are tied to tight by the EPA to sell these as they should be tuned and its now almost a must you do so.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:33 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone posted at the beginning of all this that a rep/tech said they could get anyone of these new ones to make the noise.Mine started out sounding like faint primary chain slap,now it sounds like the motor is going to fail.If they attempt to fix mine rather than taking a major piece of it,running under cover of dark.This will bring alot of these noise problems to light.I have enough to fight them now if need be.I dont see it going that way.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:47 PM
RebelRouser
Banned

My friend Bill calls me this evening. I just got off the phone with Him. He's really pissed. Harley here gave Him a piece of paper stating that the slite wine was NORMAL and told Him not to worry. He is soooooo pissed. they wouldn't even ride it. So I told Him to just ride it and when it broke down and ripped something out He would be able to get it fixed. It does sound bad. Well . This settles it for me. Were lookin for an older Harley. I feel for the year 07 and Harley. This is just wrong.

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?