Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 08:44 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

Mine now doesnt seem to idle smooth anymore.Will jump and drop in rpm constantly.The more miles it gets the worse this bike becomes.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:40 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

so pitguy,,,,, youre bike was just looked at by dealer right???? what did they find???do>??

Old 09-24-2006, 10:58 AM
mtpoland
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news for Street Glide, Classic and Ultra Classic owners. There is a small rocker switch on the left handle bar control that controls the volume level of the stereo system. Lifting this switch up with your thumb will raise the volume of the music you are listening to and simultaneously reduce the noise created by the transmission. I tried it yesterday and it works great!

Old 09-24-2006, 11:20 AM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

Yeper, I've found that one, I call it the "Don't worry about it, it's NORMAL ****"
Seems to work ok and sometimes the clatter goes with the music!

Imagine That....

I Love my STREETGLIDE, I'm Forced.... It's a 23k love afffair...

Kinda like going thru a divorce, in your head...

MOCO do something quick!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/11910/F1A22204B3204CB4BD062F7350FB7F59.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-24-2006, 01:24 PM
bucs012
Road Master

ORIGINAL: pittguy

I picked mine up 2day,dealer couldnt duplicate the noise,I heard it w/in 20 mins.This bike is now getting some serious valve train noise almost to the point of drowning out primary .Plus after 30 min hwy ride home the bike completely shut off coming off exit.Bike wouldnt restart until I shut off ignition switch and then try again.Factory rep is due to check it out in a week.
Exact problem as my 07 RG. Had in shop 3 times and they say they found nothing........250 miles now and it has not done it again. Mine originally started doing it 2x within 130 miles after hitting the 800 mile mark.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:27 PM
bucs012
Road Master

ORIGINAL: pittguy

Mine now doesnt seem to idle smooth anymore.Will jump and drop in rpm constantly.The more miles it gets the worse this bike becomes.
Mine too (07 RG) . I posted something about this last week. Will jump from 900 to 1200 idle from time to time no matte how warmed up the bike is. My 05 does not do it.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:53 PM
ORCUTTHD
Cruiser

Maybe this will help,

Just picked up a copy of Thunder Press. Motohead Memo article by Kip Woodring.

I'm going to pick out the prime items of this pretty large article.

Article covers the total redesign of the 36 year old Harley "compensator" in the '07 96 motors.

This is the engines shock absorber system protecting the primary drive, trans, and clutch from the hammering loads of ever increasing engine stroke, HP, and torque.

Quote "When owners who think the bottom end is falling out of their machines when they hear grumbling and have what sounds like a box of rocks rattling around in the crackcases are almost invariably made by a compensating sprocket that has come undone".

Now I need to back up a bit. He is referring to 06 and earlier compensaters that are two piece units. The compensator and the alt. rotor are bolted together. These come loose and cause this noise. The brand new 07 design makes these parts one unit, trying to fix this 36 year old problem. I'm saying maybe this is still were the problem lies. He has more to say,

"Making the two parts into one, a la the "07 redesign, is a logical soluton, although in my view a potentially risky one".
"When a compensator assembly malfunctions through improper tightening (-'06) or just plain wears out or screws up ('07?), the accompanying noise transfers along the sprocket shaft into the bottom end, making you think the connecting rods, crank pin, and associated bearings are trashed, causing The Dreaded Insidiuos Knock".
"But wait, there's more! Even if the compensator is all snugged up ('07) you might still hear The Dreaded Insidious Knock - and this time around it could be coming from a loose / worn / rattley alternator rotor.

Has anyone had their Dealer check this out? There is even a Service bulletin for '03-'05 models #M-1170 which Kip says should apply for every Harley made except the '07????????

Hope this helps you '07 owners.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:53 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe its in the compensator, but a new unit is not worn out, Id say its just not set up correctly as to spring tension, im sure they can come up with a setup that works , and it will be a easy fix, 1 hour or so to change it out. The only thing that i wonder about is, this is the same parts in all the 07 touring models yet in our poll on here only about 1/3rd had the clatter. It would seem if it is, that ALL would act the same way.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:25 PM
392heminut
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

The only thing that i wonder about is, this is the same parts in all the 07 touring models yet in our poll on here only about 1/3rd had the clatter. It would seem if it is, that ALL would act the same way.
Tolerance stacking could be the explanation for that.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:33 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Install some slip ons , and you cant even hear the tranny at all , do another poll after all these new bikes get there pipes on . I think thats half the problem , how many of you went this long with the stock pipes ? End of story ........

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?