Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 03:50 PM
bucs012
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

Yep, lemon law is 3 times in the service, keep all receipts. Then you send certified letter to HD demanding action be taken in 10 business days to fix the bike. They should contact you within those days to FIX the situation. If not, then you send another certified letter stating you want 100% refund or a new replacement within 10 days. Problem is.....HD will say there is nothing wrong with it. Bottom line is at some point if HD doesn't take action with all the complaints I'm sure legal action will be next. It's just a matter of time before this will happen one way or another.

Imagine all the other people in the country that doesn't have access to this site, know about it or even have internet access at all. I'm willing to bet there are hundreds and hundreds of people not real happy with the 07 they bought at this point.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:35 PM
capn_buzzcut
Advanced

Forgive me if this idea has already been put forth, but the description of the sounds I've read makes me wonder if the cause could be related to harmonics. Isn't there a harmonic balancer on the end of the crankshaft inside the primary? What if that harmonic balancer has something to do with this? What if the length and tension of the primary chain, along with the harmonics of the new motor at certain speeds, tends to sync up and cause the chain to slap against the primary case? Could it be that a different balancer might fix the problem? Is the '07 balancer different from previous years?

For the record mine is an '06 RKClassic, so I don't have this problem. I'm full of ideas though, among other things.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:44 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

chain cant slap, 07's have a automatic tensioner
ORIGINAL: capn_buzzcut

Forgive me if this idea has already been put forth, but the description of the sounds I've read makes me wonder if the cause could be related to harmonics. Isn't there a harmonic balancer on the end of the crankshaft inside the primary? What if that harmonic balancer has something to do with this? What if the length and tension of the primary chain, along with the harmonics of the new motor at certain speeds, tends to sync up and cause the chain to slap against the primary case? Could it be that a different balancer might fix the problem? Is the '07 balancer different from previous years?

For the record mine is an '06 RKClassic, so I don't have this problem. I'm full of ideas though, among other things.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:06 PM
capn_buzzcut
Advanced

Yes I know there's an automatic tensioner, but that doesn't mean the chain is unable to deflect. It only means that the chain tension is (hopefully) correct.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:17 PM
geraldtf
Advanced

GO BACK AND READ ALL MY POST! JUST CLICK ON MY NAME ,THAT IS WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 06:13 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

glad this site is a READ only,,, no audio,,,,,, because.................. after putting up with 3,200 miles worth of chattering,clattering NOISE, I can't flocking HEAR no more!!!!!!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 06:58 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard it clears up after 4000 miles.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:08 PM
RoadGlide07
Advanced

Don't take GUMrunner seriously. Nobody else does.

I think you make a good point.

ORIGINAL: capn_buzzcut

Yes I know there's an automatic tensioner, but that doesn't mean the chain is unable to deflect. It only means that the chain tension is (hopefully) correct.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:22 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

As all of us with the bikes giving the problem know, it is when the bike heats up. I believe the primary chain tensioner is the cause when it gets hot. It's seems after the bike gets so hot the tensioner is losing the proper tension, then the chain is not tight enough. 5th gear shows it more bacause of the straight teeth. 6th gear it is not as bad the teeth being at a angle mesh smoother. My bike is great when it's cold, I don't mind the whine in 5th. When things go bad is after it heats up.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:29 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you really think that is it, then why not change it back to pre 07 style, gasket,1.5 qts fluid and the part, less than 100.00 could cure your problem. or upgrade to the hyd. unit many owners are raving about.
ORIGINAL: drod

As all of us with the bikes giving the problem know, it is when the bike heats up. I believe the primary chain tensioner is the cause when it gets hot. It's seems after the bike gets so hot the tensioner is losing the proper tension, then the chain is not tight enough. 5th gear shows it more bacause of the straight teeth. 6th gear it is not as bad the teeth being at a angle mesh smoother. My bike is great when it's cold, I don't mind the whine in 5th. When things go bad is after it heats up.

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?