Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:03 PM
RoadGlide07
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

ORIGINAL: TJRKC

Anyone knows anything about these stage one downloads I'd sure be grateful for some advice. By the way, the part number on the invoice for the download is 34455-07A/DT 1584 ST 1 TOURING DI for anyone out there well-versed in the HD parts numbers. If someone can confirm on the existence of the download I'd sure appreciate it!
Did you see the post by 221Chuck at
https://www.hdforums.com/m_654370/mpage_10/key_/tm.htm ?

He talks about a "parade mapping" download that richen things up.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:25 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The trans problem is basicly any touring model.This 6speed was used on the dynas with no problems,troubled 6speeds removed and installed in softtails the problem didnt follow.A new trans in a troubled touring sometimes fixed noise.The 6speed case has 30% more space than past ones and the factory thinks an echoing effect is happening.I dont agree!Im not sold its even in the trans.The whine in 5th is for sure and mine really sings,esp if youre on it.Someone riding next to you can hear noise and makes you hearing it even better.Higher speeds along with more wind noise makes it harder to hear.It never does it on decel-at least on my SG-60 to 70 mph at 2200 to say 2500 is where I get it the most.I have no lwrs which would make hearing it better.I have a taller shield and hearing noise is better than 4 incher wouldve been.My noise started about the last of first tank of gas.I ride w/no lid.If bike is in construction zone or close to jerseytype barriers the noise is easily heard.My bike has the upgraded fluid in trans and is still rattlely once temps come up.After filing a complaint w/the nhtsa,everyone whats to talk to you,reps want to ride the bike.The truth that others also have this problem come out.Harley needs to come out and let individuals know that they are working on this.Stop the lies!Stand behind youre product.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:55 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

update,,,,,,,,,,, OK, yesterday, wife n I went for a ride,,,, {paying close attention to the issues} at first cruising around town , 1st 1/2 hour,, thinkin maybe the noise is going away,,, great?!..... well about 1 1/2 hour into the ride,
came upon a long slight uphill grade,,,, it started again,,,"whats that??"... turn the radio down, and low and behold,
the 5th gear whiring, chatter,, was like obnoxious,,,,,, and after listing to it for a while, my ears had the same ringing
as if you just turned off a circular saw after ripping a full sheet of plywood!!!. I think Heat is part of the issue hear,
so guys, put some miles on ,then listen,,,,cause the noise isnt so pronounced when just startin out.
comments welcome,,,,,,,, well not all, i dont wanna hear,,,, na na, my 07 is great, which makes me think,, if its so great for you lucky ones why are ya here and not riding.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:18 AM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long slight uphill in 5th? Downshift and the noise will go away. From what I hear the noise is more pronounced if you lug the engine.

I really don't think there are any anwsers out there right now. No one seems to know why.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:32 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

downshift at 60mph??????? hmmmm... so the answer to my prob, is to never get out of 4th?? Anyoneone wanna buy 2 extra gears , apparently I have no need for them around here,, maybe a move to the AUTOBAN Gr. is in order

Old 09-16-2006, 11:44 AM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 5th gear whine is said to be normal,not what harley said in their 07 ads.May have said noise disappears at first service or decreases.My is no longer a whine and has gotten increasingly louder.Getting on it and bringing revs up makes it absolutely annoying.The rattle noise can aso be heard in 5th but is usually drowned out by whine.The 6th gear noise I dont believe is coming from inside tranny.It has the way of sounding like something isnt tight or once warmed up and everything expands every so slightly that there is metal to metal contact.Im talking just barely touching and specific rpms is just enough to make them contact.I will let all know if something is found.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:46 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Just curious...

AT what speeds are we using 4th, 5th and 6th in? My 07RK will rattle like hell if I am in 5th below 55mph and 6th below 70mph. I ride a 6 speed Dyna also, and it acts the same, though better when I did exhaust, A/C, PCIII... it does not like 5th below 60 and 6th below say 70, otherwise the motor kinda shakes etc... (though I can't hear noise, I did notice I can barely make out a whine when I downshift into 1st yesterday on the Dyna...it pronounced on the King). My 07 RK acts somewhat the same, but I can hear more because of a windshield and stock exhaust.

When I am just cruisin along I will stay in 4th until I get to 60 and shift to 5th, usually get up to 60-62 mph and cruise... if it drops below 55 I am back in 4th, otherwise the bike starts complaining. When I get up to 70mph interstate or playing, I 'll get in 6th. If it drops below 65 its back in 5th. Now if I am accelerating and really getting on it, that's a different story. The RK and the Dyna both feel great at 60+ in 5th, and 70 + in 6th, below those speeds/gears, they both act terrible. OK I repeated myself like 3 times here...[]

Old 09-16-2006, 11:58 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

right,,,,,,,,,,, so,, does this mean Harley is going to pay our speeding fines,,, here the speed limit is 55,,,,,,,,,, why did we by 6 speeds???????????

Old 09-16-2006, 01:07 PM
ClinesSelect
Tourer

ORIGINAL: JollyRogers

Just curious...

AT what speeds are we using 4th, 5th and 6th in? My 07RK will rattle like hell if I am in 5th below 55mph and 6th below 70mph. I ride a 6 speed Dyna also, and it acts the same, though better when I did exhaust, A/C, PCIII... it does not like 5th below 60 and 6th below say 70, otherwise the motor kinda shakes etc... (though I can't hear noise, I did notice I can barely make out a whine when I downshift into 1st yesterday on the Dyna...it pronounced on the King). My 07 RK acts somewhat the same, but I can hear more because of a windshield and stock exhaust.

When I am just cruisin along I will stay in 4th until I get to 60 and shift to 5th, usually get up to 60-62 mph and cruise... if it drops below 55 I am back in 4th, otherwise the bike starts complaining. When I get up to 70mph interstate or playing, I 'll get in 6th. If it drops below 65 its back in 5th. Now if I am accelerating and really getting on it, that's a different story. The RK and the Dyna both feel great at 60+ in 5th, and 70 + in 6th, below those speeds/gears, they both act terrible. OK I repeated myself like 3 times here...[]
I shift into 6th at 80mph and then downshift back to 5th if my speed falls below 65mph. 2500+ RPM is where my bike is the happiest in 4th-6th gear.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:07 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

OHHHH BOYYY,,, so now were gonna have a bazillion motersickle deaths,, cause all these new retired aged, 07 harley owners, gonna be riding around the country at 70 and 80 miles per hour just to enjoy there new 6 speed!!!!! good work , harley%$**&*&%ing Davidson,,,
lets all go out and get our 16 yo kids new six speeds while were at,, we need them doin 90 mph,,, life is gettin sweeter by the minute!!!!!

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?