Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

26th motorcycle to be HD Road King?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Adk.IBO
Cruiser
Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 26th motorcycle to be HD Road King?

15 dirtbikes (trail, motocross, enduro, and trials) starting at age 11. 10 streetbikes(71' Triumph 650(1st), Hondas, Kawasakis, BMWs, Ducati (present)) starting at age 17. Approx. 175K miles on the street. Never had a Harley, used to say Harley's don't stop or turn, but I've always loved the motors. Well, now they stop and turn with Brembos, ABS, and the new frame after 09'. Not like my Ducati, mind you, but I'm thinkin' well enough for this 52 yr. old guy wanting to slow a little and make my wife comfy for the long haul. One more issue that has stopped me in the past has been fit. I'm 5'4" 130lbs (down from 152!). Two yrs. ago at this time a semi-local dealer was willing to let me try a Road Glide Custom with the reach seat, 1st HD that fit! I'm hoping the Road King with the super reach seat will be a similar fit as it comes with standard shocks and I'd rather have them for the little extra lean angle (consider my background). I saw a 2010 scarlet red and black that I like and it sounds like they'll give me what I want for my Ducati. Checked on payments and insurance, it is in my opinion doable. Then there's the wife. I've made motorcycle purchases in the past without her knowing (read lead baloon) and promised not to do that again (duh!). Wish me luck with friday night dinner out with a stop at the local dealership to give her a peak. Let the negotiations begin! Words of wisdom welcome. John

Old 08-26-2010, 10:12 AM
rahrens
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

simple buy her a bike also-no fighting then

Old 08-28-2010, 07:52 AM
Adk.IBO
Cruiser

Been offering to get her to ride on her own since 1983. I don't feel like I could push anyone to ride, if something happened... it'd be hard to live with. Had the dinner last night, but not the viewing, (grandson obligations) and she said wait til spring and address it again. Still want to do the viewing today. Wish me luck.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Your past sounds a lot like mine. Road Kings are great bikes. That's why they call them KINGS!!! Love mine!!1 Good luck!!

Old 08-28-2010, 09:15 AM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just traded my Ultra in last week on a RoadKing. A lot of my friends thought I was crazy. Gotta say, the King is a great bike though. Happy I made the switch. I have a cool cruiser without the windshield (that comes off in about 3 seconds) and a awesome tour bike with it on. And wow, the stuff you can do to trick on the King is unreal. I was at Bike Night at the HD Museum this past Thursday and the stuff people do to a King is unreal. Gave me WAY to many ideas.

Good luck, and enjoy!

T

Old 08-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Adk.IBO
Cruiser
Default new twist to the 26th motorcycle

Well, the wife saw the non ABS 2010 red and black road king at the local dealer- NOT a no! A very good sign! Talking a little more with the salesman, no $1000 in accessories on a non stock bike. The wife knows I'm a believer in ABS. So, do I look for the right bike with the deal and buy non local or pay full boat for a 2011 with the 103 and ABS (sedona orange of course)? I work on my own bikes so other than warranty that's not an issue. Thanks, John

Old 08-30-2010, 03:23 PM
KingEvan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would tell the salesmen your situation. ask for a $500 motor clothes gift card with the bike, hand it to the wife, sign the dotted line, and ride home on your new king.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:51 PM
RKStrider
Novice

Bought my first Harley 3 years ago.(2008 RK) Decided that the fairing and radio wasn't really worth it for me. I like the more open feeling of just the windshield. Got a tour-pac for trips. Can strip it down for just cruzin around or load it up for the road. I'm sure you and the lady will love it.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Adk.IBO
Cruiser
Default Rode one!

Sunday I rode over to talk RK and take one for two rides, one with the windshield and one without. I was pleasantly surprised with it both ways. Love the electronic cruise control. Love self cancelling turn signals. As I said before, loved the motor. Handled well, low speed handling was excellent! The first adjective that came to mind riding it was- relaxing. I think I've had enough of the adrenaline rush stuff. Certainly was enough power for me where I'm at in my life. Sorry guys, no pipes for me (loud doesn't make much power anyway). I really did like it! Went inside to talk turkey and came away with a deal that is fair in my book, good money for my Ducati and chunk of free accessories to boot! Especcially since they'd have to run for an ABS model. One but... 3 seats.. stock, stock RK Classic, and Street Glide- nothing close to fitting for me to spend nearly $20k (minus trade, plus free accessories) and the "super reach seat" is on factory back order and may not be in stock until the riding season is over ! What I don't like about that is losing some trade value and probably the free accessories. What I don't mind is ultimately getting the color I'd like (sedona orange) and probably keeping Moma a little happier. I did find a super reach seat about 3.5 hours south of here, should I **** after it and hope I could get most of my money back selling it (if it still doesn't make the bike fit) or wait it out? John

Old 09-07-2010, 04:32 PM
LozoB
Tourer

Lose the wife, buy the RK.