Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump up to 103 in my 2010 FLTRX - FANTASTIC

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010 | 01:42 AM
DHart
|
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump up to 103 in my 2010 FLTRX - SWEET!

Hey... it's been a while since I visited one of my favorite forums. I thought I'd take this opportunity to say hi to my buds here on this wonderful occasion.

I bought my FLTRX last Fall, went with the D&D 2-into-1 FatCat with quiet baffle and, at the time, I bought a 103 Big Bore kit. I went with the SE air kit immediately, but held off on installing the 103 kit because I expected I would need to have a dyno done and SEST and I saw more dollar signs than I wanted to swing. Over the course of this year I was convinced by my local dealer to sell the SEST on eBay and just install the 103 kit with a Stage 1 download and see how the bike performed for me without spending the dough on a tuner and a dyno.

The kit was installed today. When I picked up the bike, the tech and svc manager both were beaming and told me I was going to really love how the bike rode. The tech said he felt the combo of the 103 kit and the D&D Fat Cat with just the stage 1 download resulted in what he felt was one of the best performing basic combos he's seen for the basic 103.

From the moment I started the bike, I could hear and feel the difference in going from 96 to 103. The bike performed incredibly well and sounded beefier as well. Very smooth and noticibly torque-ier power, great smooth exhaust on decel with no popping. Of course, I took the long way home... waay long way. Back roads, lots of hills and curves and straight aways, etc. I proceeded to ride for a bit over an hour on some wonderful country roads doing a lot of rev ups and decel downs between 2800-3800 rpm and the bike felt so good, I was surprised at how much nicer it performed with the 103 kit.

I know that just the 103 kit, SE A/C, and D&D FatCats - with no cam work - is considered a mild upgrade and nothing like the high dollar fancy stuff, but I have to say that I am really very happy with the resulting improvement in performance with this bike. I know as the break-in gets completed I'll really get to appreciate the improvement even more.

I want to thank Bill Green and Stu at Columbia Motors H-D for encouraging me to save the money by not doing a tuner and dyno. And especially to Bill for his meticulous technical care... he's a great, well-seasoned, meticulous tech and I highly recommend him.

So that's it for today... hi to you all and to anyone wanting an easy and very pleasing bump in performance, the 103 is sweet. I'm really glad I sold the SEST and passed on a dyno tune. I saved almost $1000 by doing so. While a dyno tune and tuner may have been able to squeek out a little more performance, I'm glad I saved the money and kept it simple and economical.

I can attest to the fact that the 103 kit & D&D FatCat 2-into-1 combo, with a stage 1 download, runs superbly without a tuner and dyno!

Last edited by DHart; 08-26-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-26-2010 | 02:00 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats. When the thrill of the newfound power wears off you can give it another bump by doing the cams.

Old 08-26-2010 | 02:03 AM
DHart
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Twinrider
Congrats. When the thrill of the newfound power wears off you can give it another bump by doing the cams.
Sounds like a plan!

Old 08-26-2010 | 05:15 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear you like everything. Always good to hear when a plan comes together! Unfortunately, it will not just end there, trust me! Let the newness wear off and I bet you start looking for more power again.

Old 08-26-2010 | 08:01 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

If you like it now, get it tuned and you will be completely AMAZED at the power a proper tune will squeeze out of that combination..Congrats...It never really ands though...

Old 08-26-2010 | 09:27 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Cool report! I often wondered what a simple download would do in that configuration.

Hope you and your family are doing ok DHart. I haven't forgotten.

lp

Old 08-26-2010 | 11:36 AM
DHart
|
Tourer

Hey Mike... well... perhaps someday I may be fortunate enough for a tune. For now, though, I'm sure thrilled with how she performs.

Thanks lp, I appreciate you remembering. We're struggling, but ok. Unfortunately, the ramifications of such an event go farther, wider, deeper and last longer than one would ever imagine. Goes to show what a huge impact each of us has in the network of humanity.

---
lp... cool avatar! Ain't nuttin' ugly about the sharkie!

I hope to rack up a hundred or so miles later today... if I can sneak out of here. Fall riding in the Pacific Northwest is wonderful.

Last edited by DHart; 08-26-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-26-2010 | 12:01 PM
carcass
Advanced

I ordered my '10 RG with the 103 and Stage II Cams after test riding the stocker. MUCHO power and feel! Killer response too. Good Choice Bro!

Carcass

Old 08-26-2010 | 08:51 PM
DHart
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by carcass
I ordered my '10 RG with the 103 and Stage II Cams after test riding the stocker. MUCHO power and feel! Killer response too. Good Choice Bro!

Carcass
Thanks, Carcass... I'm sure likin' this ride!

Old 08-26-2010 | 10:33 PM
GEORGEW
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Wonder what a set of Xied's would do for this set up???
www.nightrider.com

Quick Reply: Bump up to 103 in my 2010 FLTRX - FANTASTIC