Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wild 1 518 install question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 11:08 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wild 1 518 install question

Installing these on 07 RKC, my plan was to install "normal" mode and go back later to run the wires through the bars. (winter....yes we get some cold weather in January LOL)

Has anyone run with the wires in the standard or outside of the bars on 518 install? It seems since there is no dimple, only the hole, so I may have no choice but to go ahead and run the wires internally?

I installed 508's on my 08 RKC with extensions and hated dealing with the duestch (sp?) fittings. Thought I would save that aggravation for a later day but maybe not?

Old 11-03-2010, 06:30 PM
BigIck
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wild 1"s site says to run them internal. I just finished my install on my '03 RKC. I ran the wires internal, and had to extend them 6-9 inches.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:47 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey....Thanks for the reply. I bit the bullet and wired hers internally that weekend. I knew that was going to be the case but was feeling lazy on the wife's bike.

They look and operate great.......this winter she may get my 508's and I might take her 518's. I may have to listen to some though.

I did find it can be done by grinding the wire hole larger but glad I extended the wires and did it internally.

Last edited by IndyClassic; 11-03-2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: SDK = spelling don't count but some is just too bad
Old 11-03-2010, 08:17 PM
BigIck
Cruiser

Most definitely. It wouldn't be possible without extending them.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:42 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Put 508's on my 01 RKC and 518's on my son's RK. Like the 518 much better more natural wrist placement. Made no wire changes on the 508's but needed to add 6" to the 518's. Not that hard of a job & shouldn't take to long maybe 3 hrs start to finish. Make sure you replace the upper handlebar mount as HD's oem is junk...

Old 11-03-2010, 10:02 PM
MarineBagger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished my 518 install today. I ran the wires internally and extended them 4". Easy as pie, except that the magnum brake cables I got were the wrong size. The clutch worked well though. Called Dennis Kirk to exchange the cables and the right ones should be here in a week. In the mean time the stock brake lines just barely fit, and I will be able to ride her. Thank goodness.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 PM
SGT.BIGJIM
Stage IV

Originally Posted by MarineBagger
I just finished my 518 install today. I ran the wires internally and extended them 4". Easy as pie, except that the magnum brake cables I got were the wrong size. The clutch worked well though. Called Dennis Kirk to exchange the cables and the right ones should be here in a week. In the mean time the stock brake lines just barely fit, and I will be able to ride her. Thank goodness.
MarineBagger, was the electronic throttle sensor difficult to change over? I'm thinking of doing the job myself this weekend, but not to sure on my mechanic ability to do it. Did you have a tough time deciding on what model of bars to get?

Thanks Jim

Old 11-04-2010, 03:04 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 115 Posts

Just had WO518''s fitted to my RK. You can get throttle-by-wire extensions which make the job easier

Old 11-04-2010, 09:58 AM
BigIck
Cruiser

MarineBagger, did you use the Stock clutch cable? The bars that were on my bike had a longer clutch cable and it is way too long now, it was too long before. If the stock works, I'll be ordering the Magnum Shielding Stock length.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:15 PM
MarineBagger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sgt Big Jim,
The stock TBW wires are more than long enough. You do not need an extension. After the change to my 518's there is still 4" or more of slack in the nacelle. I had a hard time deciding between the 518's and the 508's. I had beach bars on my '98 Fatboy, and I loved them, but I read enough complaints from other forum users about the 508's that I went with the 518's. Most said the 508's are too much like holding a wheel barrow, and the wrist angle is very unnatural. I went on a good long ride yesterday, and the comfort change is unbelievable. I am finding the bike easier to throw in and out of turns too. The change to the 518's wasn't too hard, but I have an electronics background, which helps with the wiring. Removing the pins from the connectors can be a little bit of a pain, but just be patient and they will come loose. I used a paper clip that was just small enough to fit in the hole to release the pin. Push the paper clip in, and turn it slowly to hit the sweet spot to release the pin. As always, get the sevice manual and you can save yourself a lot of heartache.

Big Ick,
I got a magnum clutch cable, but got it at stock length. It is long enough, and actually seems to fit better than the stock bars and cable.

Quick Reply: Wild 1 518 install question