Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They're saying 6-8 weeks to get parts???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:57 PM
August
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6-8 weeks doesn't sound bad to me. Everything custom takes that long. Hell, I've waited that long for carpeting for my house.

The real and true problem here is that you own only one motorcycle.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:04 PM
fortygeek
Cruiser

Thanks for the responses. I'm not blaming the dealer...I'm blaming MoCo. I got my 5-year-old metric, with two-tone paint, fix'd in a couple of weeks. I figured HD could match the metrics on return time y'know...

Originally Posted by piasspj
Fortunately I have a 2nd bike to ride.
I'm using this as an argument with my woman to get a second bike. Been talking about it for a while...now maybe she'll give in a bit

If you can ride it with the damage, I would.
No can do. I would have to McGuyver half the rear end back together to get it legal.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:07 PM
THABULL
Road Master

Took me over 8 weeks just to get A/C cover! Seems to be the norm on just about everything!

Old 08-25-2010, 04:20 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightstalker88
Kick your buddy in the nads every day until the parts show. I bet they get there faster.
And even if the parts don't get there faster, I bet it'll make ya feel better.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:16 PM
ks6c
Tourer

I spent the last couple of years living in Switzerland, had my '07 Ultra with me.

After some parking lot vandalism, I needed a new saddlebag lid, Vivid Black. Dealer got 1 to me in a week, painted and pin-striped - it seems they inventory primed parts in Europe, then paint locally since the MoCo lead time is inexcusably long.

There are other ways to shorten the supply chain, but we don't seem to have creative dealers in the US.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:32 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain

6-8 weeks is the standard answer, may be less if it's a current color/part and you hit the schedule right.

Mine took 6-8 weeks, then another 6-8 weeks because something was wrong with one of them (I think they ordered the wrong part). Accident in June, I picked the bike up around X-mas.
Wow, amazing that things haven't changed in TWENTY freakin' years!

In January 1990 (yep, you read it right!), my 1989 FLHTC was hit broadside when I was parked beside a road. (Threw the bike into me but I only suffered bruised thighs -- I was very lucky.) I was given the same 6 to 8 week delivery estimates on parts for the damaged fuel tank, right side bag, tour pack, and miscellaneous nuts and bolts. Fuel tank came in from HD already damaged TWICE and the tour pack came in damaged once.

It was six MONTHS before that bike made it back to the streets.

And we're still having parts problems? Unreal.....

Last edited by TxCowboy; 08-25-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:40 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

They told me 6-8 weeks for my detachable tour pac and it turned out to be more like 10 weeks. Were others had dealers find a different dealer that had them in stock ready to go. Did you ask the dealer if he could search to see if anyone already has the parts in stock? You could always just drop $5000 or so and get a custom paint job, that might be less of a wait!

Old 08-25-2010, 06:21 PM
fortygeek
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
They told me 6-8 weeks for my detachable tour pac and it turned out to be more like 10 weeks. Were others had dealers find a different dealer that had them in stock ready to go. Did you ask the dealer if he could search to see if anyone already has the parts in stock? You could always just drop $5000 or so and get a custom paint job, that might be less of a wait!
Funny you should mention that. This is my first HD, so everything is a new experience, including dealing with our local HD shop. Estimate aside, every one of my riding buddies is pleading with me to take the bike to an indy because of all the bad repairs the dealer has made over the years. I talked to one of the (highly recommended) indy shops here in town and they are looking into getting the parts through other dealerships.

The indy also said they could have the bike back on the road in less than a month if I chose to paint the entire bike. It's costly, but I'm still giving that option some thought...I've been planning to go to Street Vibrations all year long, and it's just over a month away.

Last edited by fortygeek; 08-25-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:46 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If the factory is painting your color when they get the order, then the wait won't be as long. It's usually quicker than the estimated time. That's been my experience.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:04 PM
silverbullitt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They will tell you 6-8 weeks, it is usually no more than 4. BUT. If it takes longer they got their butt covered.