Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my RK Classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 01:24 PM
PhatFront
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my RK Classic

After being on a Nightrain for numerous years, I've traded up to a Road King Classic. I'm extremely happy with the new bike so far. I like the classic look, except I think I wanted hard bags vs. the soft leather bags.
What do you guys think? and are there people who will trade the custom bags for the leather classic bags?

Attached Thumbnails Just got my RK Classic-imag0143.jpg  
Old 08-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new ride. As to the bags? Yeah, they might have a small draw back in terms of locking them compared to the hard bags, but the bike looks great. Ultimately you need to set the bike up the way YOU want it and like it. Is there a specific need you're addressing? Or just a style thing? New black hard bags will set you back close to a grand with all the hardware. Used standard bags would usually be less of course, but you'll likely need at least some of the hardware. The standard black bags will often have some sort of stripe on them, often silver unless from a SG. Police bags are about the only way you'd get an all black bag with no stripes otherwise, but they are slightly different in the way they open. From the top, not the side. I have a new set of solid black hard bags from my '09 Police bike. PM me if interested. Otherwise I say it's a good looking ride either way.

You won't soon miss your old ride! Welcome to the comfort zone.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:53 PM
August
Cruiser

We've had both. We like both.

The leather bags are more forgiving of scratches and scrapes than the hard bags. You'd be amazed how much of a pounding the finish on bags takes. Throwing your leg over, your dumbass buddy throwing his leg over, walking the bike back into a concrete pole, etc. Bags take a pounding. So, the leather bags take all this with no problemo. We use Bick-4 leather treatment regularly and the bags look like new after eight years!!!!

The hard bags are a little bit bigger.

Since I don't know anyone who's ever had their bike "broken into" I cannot comment on the relative security of the two types. I do know that newbies worry about this a lot. I don't.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:10 PM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Fatphront -
Congratulations on your new Road King you will love it. I do have hard bags on my RKC, the only reason for me was durability. The leather bags look great but are a little delicate. I kept my leather bags. It’s a money pit, ordered a detachable fairing, and a tour pak, can dress it up all the way, go with the Street Glide look or stripped down without the windshield and put the leather bags back on (my favorite) for around town on Sunday afternoons. I changed the stock bars to the reduced reach bars, I am 6 foot so they allow me to stretch out nicely. Only problem is learning the balance of the bike with the new bars as I notice a change in the center of gravity. Enjoy the ride.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Pysces
Intermediate

Congratz on the RKC. I am signing papers this evening on one myself.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Jhox
Stage III

I have a buddy who just triked his RK. He is wanting to sell both sets of bags. He has the hard bags and the leather ones. No idea what he is asking, but if interested I can give you his email address or phone number.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:15 AM
PhatFront
Novice

Thanks for all the replies, guys..I'm really happy with the bike, and it's ride. I'll probably swap the bars for some 16" apes.. just to make my back a little happier.
(due to old injuries)
As for swapping the leather bars for hard bags, it's probably more for the look. Eventually more will be done, and hard bags give me more of a pallet for paint.
& if my buddy scuffed my paint, after a couple of punches in the arm, I'd invite him over (bringing beer), and show him what's involved in repainting. He'll hate sanding after my crash course, and hopefully be more careful around a paint job..

My dad just got an 01 RK after being on a Anniversary Dyna. He's is really happy with his upgrade as well, and hopefully our long trips will be more comfortable and our 75 mile stops will be extended..

Old 08-26-2010, 11:19 AM
PhatFront
Novice

Pyces - congrats on the new ride - you wont regret it.
JHox - PM me that info, Thanks.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:29 AM
KING'S RIDE
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i had the classic bags for a year, and swapped them for hard bags. It was just for looks not function. got mine on e-bay for $400. they were of a wrecked bike and had some road rash on them. paid $450 to have them painted and the new latch covers cost me $100. so i was out about $1,000.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:46 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

I've had my RKC leather bags since the bike was new in 2000 (actually summer of 99) and they still look like new. I have had no problems with scuffs, scrapes, or whatever. I'd like locking bags, but it isn't worth the sacrafice in looks to get them. I like the classic look of the leather bags. If you wanted hard bags, why didn't you just go for a regular RoadKing?

Quick Reply: Just got my RK Classic