Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Service Ticking me off on 07

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006 | 07:12 PM
bucs012
|
Road Master
Default Dealer Service Ticking me off on 07

Some of you know I have my 07 in the shop due to it's "dieing" on me for no reason. Lose all fire and power. Turn the key off/on again and it fire right up and good for 100 miles or so. It just hit 1,000 miles so they are also doing my 1,000 mile service. FIgured I better cover my *** and make sure a HD does the service!!!! Keep in mind, I am driving this bike 50 miles (one way) for HD Dealer service.

Well, talked to the shop today. They have had it for 2 full days. They checked battery connections, fuses and ignition switch and called Harley to see if any other suggustions or problems they have heard of so far......None. My bike is not giving off a code when this happens so they are not able to hook it up to the computer and see where the problem is. I can tell they are puzzled.

Is it just me or wouldn't the next step be to start pulling the fairing- check all connections and wires for any visible problems. If find nothing then pull side covers and any other access points to wires and connections to check for problems.

I get this feeling they are going to give me the ole "gee I don't know what the problem is?" Hell, I don't want to be left stranded on the side of a freaking road!!!!!!!!!

What do you all suggest in my situation?

Old 09-06-2006 | 07:16 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Dealer Service Ticking me off on 07

Sounds like a relay,C/B or possible coil problem.Tell them to at least change a few things.Its warranty work.

Old 09-06-2006 | 07:31 PM
dmr
Road Master

if it's any consolation, i have been having the same problem with my '05 rk custom. mine has 4k miles and it started about 12-1500 miles ago. been back to the shop 3 times and called milwaukee for a 3 way conference call with the shop. same bunk as you---"... it tripped no codes, we ran the tests and everything checks out." mechanics? nah, more like parts changers.

it's frustrating indeed and i know how you feel. no faith at all in the machine and fear it will puke while you're passing a tractor trailer at 65. have you noticed anything strange about the engine before it dies? do you get a odd, but slight vibration--like one cylinder is starting to fade. i know it's not foremost on your mind, but try to be aware if and when it happens again.

some contacts say it's related to the fuel injection (and i have mentioned this to the shop) but their usual response is, "everything checks out. if it happens again, just bring it back." you know, it's like buying lifetime tools that keep breaking. after a point, you get tired of taking them back.

Old 09-06-2006 | 08:43 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

The local HD service department has caused grief for most of us....at some point. Gotta use them for warranty....but anything else is a last resort! My confidence has been tested....once too often.

Old 09-06-2006 | 08:50 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member

No but you are using common sense!! The dealer doesnt know about that !!
Name:  014_14.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  104.8 KB

Old 09-06-2006 | 10:21 PM
drocken
Cruiser

I'm supprised thay aint told you it's normal. There suppose to do that.

Old 09-06-2006 | 11:18 PM
JAFI
4th Gear

I had the same problem on my 07 Street Glide when I picked it up and rode it home. After it was all said & done, the dealer traced it down to a bad connection in the fuel pump plug. Once I got it back, I have'nt had a lick of problems since.

Old 09-06-2006 | 11:24 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master

I know it's agrevating to have a brand new bike in the shop but the only thing you can do is let them do the best they can to fix the problem. Heck, they may end up giving you another new one if they don't figure it out.

I would have though that Harley Service Department would have been equiped and experenced enough to handle situation like that. I guess the diagostic process leave something to be desired.

Old 09-07-2006 | 06:21 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

I hope you have better luck than me, on my 06 ultra. It,s in the shop for the 7th time in 5k miles for a hesitation problem. They think now that it has a rear intake leak.

Old 09-07-2006 | 09:56 AM
bucs012
|
Road Master

Thanks for the reply's and suggestions.

I never give up! It has 1,000 miles and is about 4-5 weeks old. If they don't figure it out after a few attempts, I am going to fight for a new bike!!!!!!!! This is unacceptable[:@] We have a "lemmon law" in our state and I am sure this will fit right in under that.

In most cases (not all) it is sad that most mechanics today have to depend on a computer to tell them what is wrong. They don't know how to use common sense or trouble shoot problems like we do. Hell I'm not a mechanic and never have been, but with a little research you know where to start narrowing things down.

Quick Reply: Dealer Service Ticking me off on 07