Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Service Ticking me off on 07

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006 | 10:08 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Dealer Service Ticking me off on 07

ORIGINAL: bucs012
In most cases (not all) it is sad that most mechanics today have to depend on a computer to tell them what is wrong. They don't know how to use common sense or trouble shoot problems like we do. Hell I'm not a mechanic and never have been, but with a little research you know where to start narrowing things down.
They may not attack the problem like you think they should.From what I understand and have delt(fuel gauge problem) with,is the dealer has to follow instructions from MOCO.The dealer is not going to waste time that MOCO will not pay for under warranty.

Old 09-07-2006 | 11:25 AM
bucs012
|
Road Master

I'm having them pull the fairing today and the right throttle switch since this is the two areas I have made changes via new grips and hog tune speakers. Check all connections and electronics. I will pay for the labor. If they find something then they can bill Harley. If they don't find anything they can bill me. If the problem goes away though, I will fight Harley and send them the bill.

Old 09-07-2006 | 12:32 PM
bucs012
|
Road Master

Going to pick the bike up......DId not find anything.

Iowa lemon law is 3 times in the shop for the same problem and problem still exits. A defect that renders the vehicle unfit, unreliable or unsafe and problem not resolved. I think a bike DIEING at any moment for no reason, quilfiy's for this.
Of course you have to document everything, notify the manufacturer via mail with copies of all work orders completed and I want action from them within 10 days. Of course you do this via certified, registered or overnight mail. This begins the process.
If no action is taken from HD within 10 days I then request HD to refund my money or replace my vehicle.

Old 09-07-2006 | 12:54 PM
barryflhx
Novice

I had the same problem on a 2001 Ultra ...... Dealer never did find the problem, and I eventually sold it and bought a Road king .... After I got rid of it, there was a recall notice on those bikes to replace the entire fuse block that's located under the left cover .... I've talked to several people who had that done and it fixed the problem, even though no error codes showed up in diagnostics .... I'm surprised your dealer didn't go there first. You need to mention this to them....Good Luck.

Old 09-07-2006 | 01:05 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member

man- thats my nightmare. the one thing that i would suggest if you DO go with the 'lemon law'- inquire with a lemon-law lawyer if you can put miles on it. since the repair orders document the mileage, and youre claiming that the m/c is now unreliabe and unsafe- it shouldnt be ridden.

just playing devils advocate and dont want to see you get screwed.

Old 09-07-2006 | 01:07 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

There's not much in the faring to cause this, all controls are under right cover ECM and stuff, left cover, fuse and relay block, sounds like a relay kicking off because then they reset themselves, I would at least ask they switch out those. Had this happen to a friends low rider on the way to bike week years ago, it would run great then just die, after we sat on the side of the road a few minutes it would fire back up and go another hundred or so miles, daytona HD replaced a relay and no more problem.

Old 09-07-2006 | 01:21 PM
bucs012
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

There's not much in the faring to cause this, all controls are under right cover ECM and stuff, left cover, fuse and relay block, sounds like a relay kicking off because then they reset themselves, I would at least ask they switch out those. Had this happen to a friends low rider on the way to bike week years ago, it would run great then just die, after we sat on the side of the road a few minutes it would fire back up and go another hundred or so miles, daytona HD replaced a relay and no more problem.

Hmmm. Might be a great idea for me (using my common sense) to try. I assume this is done very easily and low budget and I can pick them up at the HD dealership?

Old 09-07-2006 | 01:51 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

They did cost about 30.00 each, but there should only be one that could shut bike down, another thing could be a short at the ignition switch connection. This could cause the relay to kick off, then if you turned switch off and back on might un short it for a short time.

Old 09-07-2006 | 02:55 PM
bucs012
|
Road Master

They said they checked my ignition switch connections per HD's request. I will call service at lunch today and see what relay/fuse they suggest changing that would cut all power to the bike. Thanks for the info, Gunrunner.

Old 09-07-2006 | 03:02 PM
drichards
Cruiser

I'm supprised thay aint told you it's normal. There suppose to do that.
Thats funny because it's true. I posted my dyno numbers yesterday on my 07 ultra with slip ons. SERT, SE air cleaner. What I didn't mention was that on the way home from the dyno tune (just fine tuning what I had already done when I installed everything), I noticed spark knock when I accelerated from around 2800rpm (not ******* the bike). I stopped along the road and called the service guy and he told me to ride it and keep my RPMs up because "it's supposed to make that noise". He learned the full extent of my vocabulary after that and I'm taking the bike back tommorow free of charge so they can tear it up I guess so it wont make that noise it is "supposed to make".

Quick Reply: Dealer Service Ticking me off on 07