Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The older 2010 seat virsus the newer lower seat.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:49 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts
Default The older 2010 seat virsus the newer lower seat.

I've been reading so much on the forum about the newer 2010 / 2011 low touring seat that came out a few months back on the Ultras and how alot of guys don't like the older 2010 seats etc. etc. One guy was on here the other day ranting on and on about how cheated he felt that his new bike came with the older seat, he even went on about how HD Customer Service would not help him etc etc. So, yesterday I happened to be at the dealer. I just had to sit on a new 2011 Ultra Limited with the newer seat and feel the difference for myself, if I too, have to spend another $130-$150 to buy the newer seat for my older 2010 Limited. So, I sat on a new 2011 Ultra Limited with the new seat, (the saleman had to show me the difference, the stitching is also different). Then I sat on a new 2010 Ultra with the older seat. I switched back and forth between the two bikes about ten times, put my feet up on the floor boards, put my feet on the floor, pushed the bikes back and forth etc.
I'm 5'10" 32"inseam. I'm glad to report that I couldn't feel much difference between the two seats. If anything I liked the old style seat better, had a little more leg room in relation to the floor boards. My opinion on the subject.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 08-25-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:00 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best indicator of the difference is the actual seat height specifications, as published by Harley. I can tell you that my Ultra had the original OEM seat and I replaced it with the Reduced Reach seat available at that time. That Reduced Reach seat is actually1/2" higher than than the height of the current OEM seat, so regardless how it might 'feel' to someone, the current OEM seat is lower in profile than the original OEM seat installed for the '09 and early '0-10 production run.

If you look in the 2011 P&A catalog (page 348), you'll see two new Reduced Reach seats, along with the original Reduced Reach. (Reduced Reach and Super Reduced Reach) Compare all the specs of the OEM seats with all three Reduced Reach seats and you will see, but maybe not feel, the differences. The '0-09 and early '0-10 seat is not the same height as the current OEM seat.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:19 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
I've been reading so much on the forum about the newer 2010 / 2011 low touring seat that came out a few months back on the Ultras and how alot of guys don't like the older 2010 seats etc. etc. One guy was on here the other day ranting on and on about how cheated he felt that his new bike came with the older seat, he even went on about how HD Customer Service would not help him etc etc. So, yesterday I happened to be at the dealer. I just had to sit on a new 2011 Ultra Limited with the newer seat and feel the difference for myself, if I too, have to spend another $130-$150 to buy the newer seat for my older 2010 Limited. So, I sat on a new 2011 Ultra Limited with the new seat, (the saleman had to show me the difference, the stitching is also different). Than I sat on a new 2010 Ultra with the older seat. I switched back and forth between the two bikes about ten times, put my feet up on the floor boards, put my feet on the floor, pushed the bikes back and forth etc.
I'm 5'10" 32"inseam. I'm glad to report that I couldn't feel much difference between the two seats. If anything I liked the old style seat better, had a little more leg room in relation to the floor boards. My opinion on the subject.
Glad you went and tried the seat for yourself. I don't believe the gentleman was ranting on and on as you state. He was comcerned that the bike he bought was supposed to have the "low" seat from the MOCO but instead the seat had been switched. A justifiable concern in my opinion. As you stated you are 5'10" with a 32" inseam and you didn't see any differance in the seat. I believe those of use with shorter inseams see a big differance. The low seat is a bit narrower and does not spread your legs as far thus giving us more foot on the ground.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:50 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I'm 6' and purchased the lower seat. In my opinion it makes a world of difference when you are trying to maneuver the bike around while sitting on it. Especially when you are trying to back the bike up while sitting on it. I'm not sure sitting on the 2 side by side is a great comparison unless you are actually trying to maneuver the bike around. In my opinion it was $150 well spent. My original seat is in the attic in a box and will most likely stay there.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 5'11 with a 32 inch inseam and I recall sitting on Road King at the dealers about a year ago. I could touch both feet down but not completely flat foot it which I can do with my VTX.

I think the lower seat will be nice on the 2011 when I get it.

And yes, I think the guy talking about his seat he should have received is a legit gripe

Dawg

Old 08-25-2010, 06:16 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

The new "low" seat is a huge difference from the original '09-'10. As soon as it was available I purchased one for about $130. The new seat isn't just lower, its narrower at the nose too; which brings your legs together to better plant your feet.

As far as the other post about his customer service issue; I agree with him. He should have the new seat.