Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadglide versus Electraglide

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 05:02 PM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Roadglide versus Electraglide

I'm looking at new Harley touring bikes and have a few general questions. First off, I'm a long time rider who averages 30k miles per year spread over two BMWs and a Yamaha. I'm looking to add a bike to the stable for touring which has much better dealer support than BMW. The last Harley I owned was back in 1980 (80ci WG) and it wasn't very reliable but I've run across many Harleys out on the road which have had very little problems.

The two models that have peaked my interest are the Roadglide and Ultra. I plan on renting each for a day so I can do a straight up comparison. My real question concerns accessories. When I looked at these bikes I noticed the Ultra comes with cruise control, the Screaming Eagle Ultra with heated grips, and the Roadglide with neither. Can you get a Roadglide with a color matched tour-pak, color matched lowers, chrome pannier guards, cruise control, and heated grips? If so, does the installation look as slick as the Ultra or is it cobbled up? Is the tour-pak on the Roadglide the same size as the Ultra? The salesperson there didn't know jack about the bikes (he did know the price).

I sat on an Ultra and it felt small to me. I'm afraid that I'll like the Roadglide better but it won't have the stuff I need. Thanks,

RLK

Old 09-06-2006, 05:18 PM
kdietz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Roadglide versus Electraglide

I'm biased toward the Ultra since that's what I own.....the options that are standard for the Ultra can be added to the Road Glide with a few exceptions.

A new seat will give you the room that you want....don't let that stop you from the Ultra....lots of seat options to move you back and/or down

Karl

Old 09-06-2006, 05:40 PM
rwagon57
Tourer

I have an 07 Ultra and am very pleased with it. There is plenty of luggage capacity, and good weather protection. Everything that makes an Ultra an Ultra is available as accessories for the EGs and RGs. I suspect that upgrading a RG to Ultra status will be very expensive. Rent both and buy the one that makes your motor run.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:41 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ALL glides are the same size, RG frame mount sharknose/EG fork mount batwing. You can outfit either with just about anything you can imagine/afford. Pick your ride and start spending! BTW the RG comes with cruise and it can be transformed into a darn nice ULTRA. Take a look at the photo galleries!

Old 09-06-2006, 05:48 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like bountyhunter said, the RG does have cruise.
They are very nice bikes, if you like the Silver engine.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:50 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well considering the price difference of about 15-17k on the two bikes you picked, SE is about 35k, roadglide around 18K, you can have everything added to the roadglide color matched from harley, it comes with cruz. heated grips about 150.00, even a non SE ultra will run you about 5k more than a roadglide, plenty enough to equip the roadglide about the same as the ultra.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:36 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,825 Likes on 1,278 Posts

"I'm looking to add a bike to the stable for touring which has much better dealer support than BMW."

All I can say is don't buy it for that reason....you'll be dissapointed. Most, not all, Harley dealers are a bunch of prema donna's that feel they don't have the time of day for you and are doing you a favor by just talking to you.

Buy it because you want a Harley, they are both good choices.
[sm=pcwhack.gif]

Old 09-06-2006, 06:39 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

MOST REPLIES ARE CORRECT. IT WILL COST YOU MORE HOWEVER TO ADD ALL THE ACCESSORIES TO THE ROADGLIDE THAT COME WITH THE ULTRA. LABOR AND TAXES ALSO ADD TO THE TOTAL. YOU CAN HAVE EVERY ITEM THOUGH AND IT WILL LOOK LIKE IT CAME THAT WAY ASSUMING CORRECT INSTALLATION. JUST LOWER FAIRINGS ALONE ARE 1200.00 AND THE TOURPAK PLUS LIGHTS ARE ABOYT 12-1300.00. YOU CAN SEE WITH EVERYTHING ELSE IT IS EASILY GOING TO TOP THE COST OF A COMPARABLY EQUIPPED ULTRA. I TOLD A CUSTOMER THIS BUT HE DIDNT CARE AND WHEN WE SET UO HIS RG TO ULTRA STATUS HE ENDED UO ALMOST 3,000.00 MORE THAN IF HE HAD BOUGHT THE ULTRA TO BEGIN WITH. THE RG DOES HANDLE BETTER THOUGH AND GET A LITTLE BETTER GAS MILAGE DUE TO THE AERODYNAMICS OF THE FRONT FAIRING. BUT THERES NOTHING LIKE THE SIGHT OF THE BAT WING THAT ITSELF SAYS HERE COMES A HARLEY.I TOO AM A BIT PREJUDICED.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:43 PM
LDrider
Cruiser

I've ridden Electroglides, both Classics and Ultras for over twentyfive years. Most of those years I've put on the kind of milage your talking about. I have never had any reliablity issue with them on the road. With the batwing fairing however I have experienced the high speed wobble but only at speeds above 110 mph. Others have reported the wobble at lower speeds. I'm told that this is less of an issue with the sharknose fairing on the Roadglide. All of the extras found on the the Ultra can be added to the RG and could be as seamless as if they came from the factory but the cost of adding them would end up considerably higher than the Ultra if you want them all. CB/intercom, rear speakers, King tour pack with added lighting, 4 channel radio, cruise control,extra chrome, etc,etc. As far as extras found on the SE ultra, they are all available as add-ons with the exception of the CVO medallions.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:02 PM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for all the great info.

Regards,
Richard

Quick Reply: Roadglide versus Electraglide