Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a tool to read codes on '99 FLHTCUI ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Oldtigercub
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there a tool to read codes on '99 FLHTCUI ?

Hi, all.
I recently purchased a 1999 FLHTCUI (fuel injected Electra Glide Ultra) and have been riding it for about 4 weeks now. I have noticed a strange condition when running at slow speeds where the engine seems to missfire or buck intermittantly, but only when light throttle is applied. It doesn't seem to do it under either no-load conditions, and it seems to run just fine when more throttle is applied. I talked to a dealership mechanic and was told it could be a number of things, but that it sounded like a very strange condition to him as described.

I found that there are diagnostic codes stored in my ECM by using the on-off on-off on procedure in my repair manual. I tried to read the flash codes on the check engine light, and even recorded them with a video recorder to try and play back slower (they go by really fast) but have not been able to make sense of them yet. They are more like morse code, with a rapid series of long and short flashes with very short pauses than any number of steady flashes with definite pauses in between. Needless to say, I'm frustrated because I think there might be a clue as to what the problem is lurking in those codes, and since the closest dealer shop is a half hour drive away, I would like to be able to at least get an idea of what the problem is before committing a Saturday to sitting in a repair shop waiting room. Granted, some of them are nice, but I'd rather be spending my weekends riding if I can find and fix the problem during the week myself!

My question is this: Does anyone make an affordable diagnostic reader that can be plugged into the data bus to read these codes. I have seen some for 2001 and later bikes that are relatively inexpensive (less than $300) that work with a Laptop PC, and other testers that work with all computer equipped bikes that cost a small fortune. I just haven't been able to find an affordable one yet that will work with my 1999 Ultra Classic.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Bill

Old 08-24-2010, 08:55 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 253 Likes on 154 Posts

DO you have a shop manual? The flash codes have always worked for me, the rapid flashes are the pause, the slow flashes are what you have to count. HOw many miles on the bike? The MM FI can be tricky, sounds like you may have a bad sensor. Good luck & try to count those pulses once more.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Oldtigercub
Cruiser

Thanks for the input, Glide! There doesn't seem to be any slow flashes. I have a Chiltons manual. The sequence they describe seems easy enough to figure out, but the flashes I get don't seem to follow the described pattern. ....sigh...Oh....and the bike has about 67,000 miles on it.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:40 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The first thing I'd invest in would be a H-D Shop Manual. Best $50 you'll ever spend on your bike!! Hands down, they are better than Chilton...or any other aftermarket manual!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:05 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 854 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldtigercub
Hi, all.
I recently purchased a 1999 FLHTCUI (fuel injected Electra Glide Ultra) and have been riding it for about 4 weeks now. I have noticed a strange condition when running at slow speeds where the engine seems to missfire or buck intermittantly, but only when light throttle is applied. It doesn't seem to do it under either no-load conditions, and it seems to run just fine when more throttle is applied. I talked to a dealership mechanic and was told it could be a number of things, but that it sounded like a very strange condition to him as described.

I found that there are diagnostic codes stored in my ECM by using the on-off on-off on procedure in my repair manual. I tried to read the flash codes on the check engine light, and even recorded them with a video recorder to try and play back slower (they go by really fast) but have not been able to make sense of them yet. They are more like morse code, with a rapid series of long and short flashes with very short pauses than any number of steady flashes with definite pauses in between. Needless to say, I'm frustrated because I think there might be a clue as to what the problem is lurking in those codes, and since the closest dealer shop is a half hour drive away, I would like to be able to at least get an idea of what the problem is before committing a Saturday to sitting in a repair shop waiting room. Granted, some of them are nice, but I'd rather be spending my weekends riding if I can find and fix the problem during the week myself!

My question is this: Does anyone make an affordable diagnostic reader that can be plugged into the data bus to read these codes. I have seen some for 2001 and later bikes that are relatively inexpensive (less than $300) that work with a Laptop PC, and other testers that work with all computer equipped bikes that cost a small fortune. I just haven't been able to find an affordable one yet that will work with my 1999 Ultra Classic.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Bill
The very fast flashing is before and after a code is displayed IF any or no codes are shown it will still do the rapid flash..The codes themselves flash very slowly "like one per second".....just because you have rapid flashing does not mean that a historical code was found...You get the rapid flashing regardless...To clear disco. the bike.
(disconnect battery)

Old 08-25-2010, 08:07 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

And although description is limited: consider review of bank angle sensor for a 1999.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Oldtigercub
Cruiser

Originally Posted by im
The very fast flashing is before and after a code is displayed IF any or no codes are shown it will still do the rapid flash..The codes themselves flash very slowly "like one per second".....just because you have rapid flashing does not mean that a historical code was found...You get the rapid flashing regardless...To clear disco. the bike.
(disconnect battery)

Thanks, IM.

I reviewed the codes again and you are probably right. All of the flash sequences are fast. They vary in number from 6 to ...well I lost count, but there were no slow sequences, so there may in fact be no error codes logged.
I did do a few maintenance chores like replacing the air cleaner (it was very dark and had oil in the bottom), and I replaced the spark plugs (they looked worn and the gap was a bit wider than specified). I also popped the seat and checked the battery connections and measured the voltage. It checks good (12.8 volts no load, 11.9volts with the ignition on, and up to 13.9 volts when the bike is running at a high idle). I decided to install a pigtail for the battery charger while I was in there, too.
I haven't had a chance to test ride the bike since I did those items, but may have a chance this evening.
You may have hit on something mentioning the bank angle semsor...I have noticed that the turn signals seem to cancel far short of any turn I make and fail to cancel immediately when I straighten up out of a sharp turn. I may have the dealer take a look at that the next time I get by the shop. One other quirk I have noticed is that the horn wont sound most of the time when the bike is moving, even though I replaced the stock horn with an air horn, but that is for a different discussion and a different thread!
Thanks again to all for their input and advice!
Bill

Old 08-25-2010, 07:35 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oldtigercub
Thanks, IM.

I reviewed the codes again and you are probably right. All of the flash sequences are fast. They vary in number from 6 to ...well I lost count, but there were no slow sequences, so there may in fact be no error codes logged.
I did do a few maintenance chores like replacing the air cleaner (it was very dark and had oil in the bottom), and I replaced the spark plugs (they looked worn and the gap was a bit wider than specified). I also popped the seat and checked the battery connections and measured the voltage. It checks good (12.8 volts no load, 11.9volts with the ignition on, and up to 13.9 volts when the bike is running at a high idle). I decided to install a pigtail for the battery charger while I was in there, too.
I haven't had a chance to test ride the bike since I did those items, but may have a chance this evening.
You may have hit on something mentioning the bank angle semsor...I have noticed that the turn signals seem to cancel far short of any turn I make and fail to cancel immediately when I straighten up out of a sharp turn. I may have the dealer take a look at that the next time I get by the shop. One other quirk I have noticed is that the horn wont sound most of the time when the bike is moving, even though I replaced the stock horn with an air horn, but that is for a different discussion and a different thread!
Thanks again to all for their input and advice!
Bill
The bank angle sensor is not for the turn signals but instead to cut the engine off after a determined lean angle..a safety thing that cuts engine off if bike falls over..i believe that 1999 had an issue with the position of the bank angle sensor..cut-out of motor over bumps. Turn signals work with speedo and time..appears yours are fine by description.
Air horns sometimes are unable to overcome the wind entering the front of horn. If the hose was extended from air pump or if the horn itself is not the best..pointing down seems to work when they are weak.
Your electrical check appears solid for a basic check.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:39 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Also note: after re-read of cut-out.
Review the fuel lines..1999 i believe has two hoses that exit tank?
The hoses leak at the swivel on the tank over time..
Need to make sure fuel volume/pressure is good..dirty injectors(rare), line issues(replace after 10 years), fuel in tank good?
Review spark plug wires also.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:11 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 253 Likes on 154 Posts

By the way I've got a factory service manual for 99 touring models if you're interested, I'd take $25 shipped. It's in good shape other than a few greasy finger marks. PM me if you're interested.

Quick Reply: Is there a tool to read codes on '99 FLHTCUI ?