Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Auto Tune. To accept trims or not

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:50 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PCV Auto Tune. To accept trims or not

I'm trying to decide whether to accept the fuel trims dictated by my PCV Auto Tune. On the one hand, I presume that continuously accepting them will get the tune closer and closer, but if my trim values are below the threshold of +- 25% which I selected, is there any point in accepting them?

Of course, this is predicated on the belief that the Auto Tune is making instantaneous adjustments, I hope it is.

The only reason I am hesitating, is because I ride in all kinds of conditions weather wise and also varying altitudes. I don't want to accept trims that then prevent the auto tune from doing the best possible job from one day to another.

Then again, I might just have nothing better to worry about!

Accept or not? What do you think?

Old 08-25-2010, 12:33 AM
bamarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Iclicks advice. Search and he can better explain it than me. But what I did is set my AFR's for a rich setting, 13.4 and 13.2. After putting some miles on the bike I accepted the trim settings. I then would put some more miles on the bike and do the same thing. The auto tune created a map for me using the AFR settings above. Once I made my new map for the rich settings I then created a map for gas mileage. You can then switch back and forth using an external switch. So basically I switch between maps determined by my driving conditions. Again search for Iclicks post for accepting the trims.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:23 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by nemick
I'm trying to decide whether to accept the fuel trims dictated by my PCV Auto Tune. On the one hand, I presume that continuously accepting them will get the tune closer and closer, but if my trim values are below the threshold of +- 25% which I selected, is there any point in accepting them?
If you're getting double digit trims, I'd accept them. You're absolutely right, accepting trims moves the map closer to the ideal settings for your bike. Once the trims are low single digits, you're pretty much done with that particular map.

Once that map is dialed in, you might want to lower the autotune parameters. Most folks use 10 (or less) as the max, that way if something goes haywire, you wont have your autotune writing something unrideable.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:38 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

I did mine 10% at a time to make sure nothing got out of whack. 103"/SE 204/SE slip-ons/SE air filter.
Only time i could not accept them was at the very low end of RPM range for rear cylinder. I had ridden fast on the interstate carrying a passenger and it was not reading the rear cylinder right probably due to the cam timing and quiet mufflers. The trims were something like -90. I did the rest of my auto tuning without a passenger and it was allright.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:48 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey Truckerdave...
did you do anything with your timing table? I've added timing to my map in a few areas, but had to back some out due to some detonation I was getting. I'd be interested in swapping timing tables with you to see how they compare.... shoot me a pm if you're interested in doing that

Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

I have 07 also. The cam timing of the SE 204 will let you advance a few degrees with no problem. I was able to advance as much as 4 degrees at upper RPM if i remember right. I also set the light load cruise range to 14.2 and advanced the timing 2 degrees there. I get no detonation, 185 degree oil with oil cooler, and 45 MPG @ 75 MPH. The 800+ pound road glide will also pull the front wheel off the ground. Yes there are plenty of HD's that are faster but they spent a lot more $$$ than i did with my ebay parts. I'm sold on the PCV/autotune system. If a bike is supposed to do something better than this i would like to know what it is.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least yours appears to work. Mine runs like CRAP.

I envy you.

(PC-V, AutoTune)

Old 08-25-2010, 03:47 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,167 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Butcher
At least yours appears to work. Mine runs like CRAP.

I envy you.

(PC-V, AutoTune)
You need to call us for help. Posts like this will not get your bike fixed.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 08-25-2010, 04:45 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerdave
I have 07 also. The cam timing of the SE 204 will let you advance a few degrees with no problem. I was able to advance as much as 4 degrees at upper RPM if i remember right. I also set the light load cruise range to 14.2 and advanced the timing 2 degrees there. I get no detonation, 185 degree oil with oil cooler, and 45 MPG @ 75 MPH. The 800+ pound road glide will also pull the front wheel off the ground. Yes there are plenty of HD's that are faster but they spent a lot more $$$ than i did with my ebay parts. I'm sold on the PCV/autotune system. If a bike is supposed to do something better than this i would like to know what it is.

I'd like to get a peek at the timing table too. I have a canned table in my SERT, but would like to see how it compares to others. I have a 103 with 255 cams, and am not making the power I think I should be at 77 HP and 94 TQ. Thanks...

Old 08-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
You need to call us for help. Posts like this will not get your bike fixed.
On the contrary, members here have such a vast array of knowledge and/or experiences I might get an odd 'trick' to try that just might work. Sometimes people here run into something extremely frustrating only to find out there's that one person who just happened to have experienced the same or similar problem. One of the many cool things about this forum.
I have called on more than one occasion with the advice being "accept the trims". One alternate map was sent with suggestions followed. Email replies with results were sent as requested. Replies to my emails would go unanswered for extended periods. It's rare that I can call during normal business hours, so I email and wait. I respect a preference for calls vs. email, but I do what I have to to work around the obstacles. When a vendor tells me they understand why it's easier for me and ok to send an email, it is appreciated and I don't expect an immediate reply. I don't feel I'm out of line wondering why I may not receive a reply for weeks yet view responses on a forum moments after a thread is posted.

If your presumption is the intent is to bash, you are sorely mistaken. I elected not to name anybody because that's not the point and to eliminate any suggestions that I might have purchased my goods from some fly-by-night company. The point is, there is an obvious issue with the bike and for months there had to have been a better solution to my experience other than "accept the trims". I'm thrilled with one bike and baffled by another. Months of no progress will open ones mind to alternative solutions.

If anybody here wishes to view me in a negative light because I've exhausted my patience for not being able to ride my bike without problems for 6+ months while actively seeking a solution then have at it. Up until lately I have been more than patient and more than reasonable by not mentioning squat here. Shame on anyone who views this otherwise. I simply want viable solutions to a very long standing problem.

Flame on if anyone feels it's warranted. Sad if you do.

Quick Reply: PCV Auto Tune. To accept trims or not