Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Auto Tune. To accept trims or not

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 02:58 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SICKBAGGER
I am running the PCV and AT with the switch like iclicks. I tell you I am remarkably impressed with the map AT has made. Jamie was very instrumental in getting me a good base map I then showed him my map progressions and he provided me a new base map to start with. My bike runs better than it ever has and does not ever miss a beat or sputter back fire. iclick was good to me too on comprehending how the AT works and what he said above is all true but hard to fathom when your starting out with the AT. Keep at it with Jamie he will get you straightened out and there are guys here than have good info also that are willing to help thanks iclick!
Sickbagger, I'm firmly in your camp. At the risk of sounding giddy or euphoric, I marvel at how well this bike runs every time I ride it. Like you I have no flat spots or hestitation, and outside of some gurgling at 5% TP under low load from the lean AFR's it runs flawlessly. I could add some fuel there to get rid of it, but I won't since it isn't an issue.

All that said, nothing's perfect and I wish I could get city mileage up into the low-40's, but that seems impossible with this bike. I'm in the range of 37-38mpg in the city, and I can't quite get a grip on why I'm there when my old carbed Evo RK would get 46mpg city on a bad day. It just doesn't compute, but I don't know what else to do.

I wonder if leaning 20-60% TP some might help, as in city riding we're in the throttle more than cruising on the highway. If I do it will feel a bit flatter in that range, but it might be worth playing around with. Has anyone done this? I'm at 14.2, 13.8, 13.2, 13.0, and 13.0 from 20-100% TP. I've noticed that I can mostly stay at 20% and below if I try, so I'm not sure why mileage is so lousy in the city on this bike. It never has been, so I can't blame the cams.

Last edited by iclick; 08-26-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:46 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Sickbagger, I'm firmly in your camp. At the risk of sounding giddy or euphoric, I marvel at how well this bike runs every time I ride it. Like you I have no flat spots or hestitation, and outside of some gurgling at 5% TP under low load from the lean AFR's it runs flawlessly. I could add some fuel there to get rid of it, but I won't since it isn't an issue.

All that said, nothing's perfect and I wish I could get city mileage up into the low-40's, but that seems impossible with this bike. I'm in the range of 37-38mpg in the city, and I can't quite get a grip on why I'm there when my old carbed Evo RK would get 46mpg city on a bad day. It just doesn't compute, but I don't know what else to do.

I wonder if leaning 20-60% TP some might help, as in city riding we're in the throttle more than cruising on the highway. If I do it will feel a bit flatter in that range, but it might be worth playing around with. Has anyone done this? I'm at 14.2, 13.8, 13.2, 13.0, and 13.0 from 20-100% TP. I've noticed that I can mostly stay at 20% and below if I try, so I'm not sure why mileage is so lousy in the city on this bike. It never has been, so I can't blame the cams.
Bob,
I know it just shows how crappy the bike ran stock, with the Vance and Hines Fuel Pak was a little better, with the PCV ran good and much cooler, with the auto tune no comaprison to any of the above mentioned. It is like your giddy or your nuts tiggle or whatever these cams and PCV with A/T man she runs with authority and just runs excellent.

I am getting about the same but have found myself letting this go. The way the bikes runs, the tempratures, I can tell she is just flat A$$ happy. Fuel mileage has not been a problem, yes it goes quick running around town but there are plenty of gas stations. On the long hauls i get good enough gas mileage and may even richen that up a bit. I can go on the highway a little over 200 miles most anyone I am riding with needs gas already. I will probably knock the AFR's back down a .3 which would be what Jamie had set me up for. I leaned it out a .3 from Jamies map but when it is hot every now and then you can hear a little noise say n she could use a little more gas. I don't want to flip the switch to the 13.0 because milage will go way down but she will be cool we know that. I save that for when I really need it but have used it and quess what? Its F N Cool!

I now why its lousy in the city you think you at 20% but your rolling through many different ranges and moving probally a 1000 lbs!

Again thanks for all your help on those time you just told me to call and all of the emails. It took me a bit to really fathom what is going on and you said I had a pretty good handle on it. I like my system now...no I love my system now!

Last edited by SICKBAGGER; 08-26-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:07 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SICKBAGGER
Bob,
I know it just shows how crappy the bike ran stock, with the Vance and Hines Fuel Pak was a little better, with the PCV ran good and much cooler, with the auto tune no comaprison to any of the above mentioned.
I don't even remember how it ran stock, as within a week had a PCIII, Rush mufflers, AC, and a Fuel Moto map installed. With each incremental step--first to the dyno-tuned baffles, then the cams, and now AT--the bike just gets better and better. I don't really want to do anything to it now.

I am getting about the same but have found myself letting this go. The way the bikes runs, the tempratures, I can tell she is just flat A$$ happy.
I've let it go for the same reasons, as I think to improve it I'll need to sacrifice some drivability, and I'm hesitant to do that. OTOH I could always experiment, then go back to the old map if it doesn't work out.

Fuel mileage has not been a problem, yes it goes quick running around town but there are plenty of gas stations. On the long hauls i get good enough gas mileage and may even richen that up a bit. I can go on the highway a little over 200 miles most anyone I am riding with needs gas already.
I get 48-49mpg at a moderate highway speed (55-60) and no headwind, and that's very good considering the cam upgrade and how well the bike runs. I went on a long trip last year and one guy had an '08 RK with Stage 1 and the HD download. I figure that'll produce near maximum MPG for that engine, and I was within a MPG or so for every tank while cruising 55-60mph, but I beat him 1-2mpg at higher speeds, like 70-75mph. I'm not sure why that happened unless the batwing is more aerodynamic than the RK windshield. You would think it would be otherwise.

I will probably knock the AFR's back down a .3 which would be what Jamie had set me up for.
I'm at 14.6 in the areas I usually cruise and have no heat, detonation, or any other problems--and even CHT's stay reasonable. Today on a ride in 90° weather (cool for August) I was running 200° oil temp and around 230° front CHT while moving along at 50mph or more, which is very good.

I now why its lousy in the city you think you at 20% but your rolling through many different ranges and moving probally a 1000 lbs!
Yeah, and improving mileage in town may be a pipe dream, at least if I don't want to create some flat-spots along the way.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:53 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Here's what I have on an '09 with 255's. Remember that the PCV adds/subtracts from the existing ECM timing, so you'll need to go into a stock configuration in SERT and add these values to it. Hope it helps. My '07 goes up to 4° at 100% TP and 3500+, but stays at 3° at 60-80%.
thanks iclick- i see the full values with the SERT, whereas your table is differential from stock values. Jamie helped me some yesterday as well. Did a ride last night and smart tuned. changes helped a lot, no pinging. Essentially added 4 degrees where your table values are 3. thanks again. RK