Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden acceleration TC88B

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Roadglide9
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden acceleration TC88B

I am looking for information on sudden acceleration issues related to the TC88B engine on my '04 FXSTSi. I just had the bike accelerate hard while in first gear on a downhill hairpin. Needless to say the resulting crash trashed my bike! Only 2260 miles on this bike and I am quite upset about it.
Does anyone out there have any experience or information on this situation? Thanks in advance.

Replies from Dumb Asses will be ignored!

Last edited by Roadglide9; 08-24-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Improper replies
Old 08-24-2010, 04:46 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like a poor rider was in the saddle. Even if it did suddenly accelerate, the clutch at kill switch are at each hand.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:47 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow is Toyota making the accelerator gear now?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:59 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

have heard of this on the bikes with drive-by-wire but not on earlier ones.

welcome to the forum BTW.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:06 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Of all the places for the bike to accelerate unexpectedly...A downhill hairpin turn. Amazing. 2260 miles, mostly on straight, flat roads I'm sure, and then BAM!!!! Downhill hairpin turn....It's inexplicable.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:45 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

First off, you don't say you're injured, so I assume you are okay. That's something to be grateful for & I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt. I'm sure you're bummed about your bike, but from the sound of it, before you go blaming the bike, I would be willing to be it's rider error.

Not trying to be "harsh" or pile on here, but just from the little bit of info you have provided on your 1st ever post on the HDForums, I have the following thoughts, and most point to rider error/inexperience. (sorry, I call 'em like I see 'em!)

1) As experienced rider's would agree, the clutch is your friend in this situation. Did you try pulling in the clutch to stop the acceleration?

2) As stated, you were in 1st gear, which means you were going along at 5 - 15 mph before the "rapid acceleration" if we're matching gear to speed, would give most riders plenty of time to react without crashing. The bike would be lugging like nuts (mine would anyway) at 20 mph and you'd start getting some engine braking. This could have caused you to go down in the turn - assuming that's where you crashed. That, or you grabbed a handful of front brake while trying to make that hairpin turn. That's a big no-no as most experienced riders know.

3) Not sure if you're the original owner or it's "new to you", but the mileage on the bike (less that 300 miles/yr) indicates an inexperienced or at the least, a "rusty" owner on top of other issues as a result of a bike sitting idle much of the time. Bikes don't like sitting around.

4) Since 1 - 3 pretty much point to rider inexperience, I'm going with you being a newbie. Nothing wrong with that, we all were new at one time. I'm just saying being inexperienced may have more to do with your rapid acceleration than say, throttle malfunction. Most new riders have a tendency to hold their wrist high, so when they go to use the front brake, they'll get revving/acceleration. Also, many new riders are trying to adjust to shifting and may not always have a good handle on what gear they are in. Were you absolutely sure you were in 1st gear? Add that to a downhill and a hairpin turn and well....bad things can happen.

I certainly don't know you, your bike or your experience level...just throwing out an opinion based on the facts presented. In any event, I hope you figure it all out.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Roadglide9
Stage II

Since my experience level is being questioned let me just add that I am a member of HOG's Million Mile Club. I am 55 and have ridden since I was 11, Harleys since I was 15. The wrecked bike was a show bike that saw very little use, hence the low miles. I currently own 4 Harleys having just recently sold my Electra Glide Classic. Experience is NOT an issue here, this was mechanical or electronic failure that caused sudden, HARD acceleration at the worst possible time. The steep downhill threw me hard from a sideways position and dropped the bike on top of me breaking my right ankle, three ribs and one finger.
I was hoping to find some assistance here but apparently thats not the case.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:53 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

............ 'sudden' acceleration on a TC88 ? ..........When you find out what it was, tell me, I could use some of it.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:53 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Smile

Throttle cable had to be adjusted with no free play or was incorrectly routed. One of the two.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:00 PM
lakeman
Tourer

Just be a little patient here ... we obviously don't know the cause or we would suggest a fix ... allow us to have a little fun in the interim, if you can't tolerate that, you do have the wrong forum. Thin skins don't last around here.

Shu isn't going to like this!

Quick Reply: Sudden acceleration TC88B