Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden acceleration TC88B

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:54 PM
flyer91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what I'd like to say:

"This 'run-and-shoot' situation is caused by posting about a cruiser in a touring forum.
Ya see .....the bike just wants to get to it's proper forum so damn fast that it causes a reaction in the over thruster's chamber thereby engaging the warp drive, propelling the bike forward into a ditch, curve, or even a tree, and causing the rider to insult the people he's asking for help, as his introduction.

You might want to post your question in the cruiser forum ..... but use a bit more grace and tact or they will punk you out of there too.

So now ....... for a person from a state that grows apples (and apparently an overabundance of dumb asses) .... howdaya like them apples??"

But I won't say that because I'm too civil ..........

Old 08-25-2010, 04:17 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed on my 06 RK when I close the throttle to stop or take a corner it seems the fuel builds up, then when I crack the throttle I get a slight surge. Took me a few rides to get used to it. I wouldn't call it sudden acceleration...kinda like letting the clutch in while the engine is braking.
Being my first injected bike I took it as the nature of the beast...

Hope you heel up quick.

Tim

Old 08-25-2010, 04:46 PM
foush56
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't let obumma know, He will recall all Harleys and stop all production!

Old 08-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually prefer all my vehicles to have "sudden acceleration" when I twist the throttle or step on the gas pedal.

It's "unintended acceleration" that causes problems.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:22 PM
FLHP1034ME
Tourer

Just tossin' this out...how long would it take ones thumb to hit the kill switch and simultaneously pull in the clutch while grabbing the brake and stepping on the brake pedal? .....or even just hit the kill switch and leaving it in gear and letting compression braking take over....

Old 08-25-2010, 06:54 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHP1034ME
Just tossin' this out...how long would it take ones thumb to hit the kill switch and simultaneously pull in the clutch while grabbing the brake and stepping on the brake pedal? .....or even just hit the kill switch and leaving it in gear and letting compression braking take over....
At 30 mph, you are traveling 44 feet per second.

The average person takes half a second to just react to a panic situation. In that period of time you've traveled 22 feet at 30 mph. A lane of traffic is 12 feet across.

When this happened to me test riding a brand new Street Glide, I was going around a 45 mph exit ramp, with the throttle closed (hence I had compression braking), expecting to coast to a stop sign at the street below.

Half way around the ramp, the bike suddenly surged as I was leaned into the curve. It sent me clear across the lane, and I almost hit the curb before I even reacted, much less pulled in a clutch or hit a kill switch, or pressed further to lean further. Even wthough it only lasted a second or less, it came totally unexpectedly, and was over before I had time to react, but it that period of time, I could have almost bought it.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person on these threads who ever reads magazine test reports. American Rider reported on this years ago, calling it, I beleive, an "annoying quirk" in the ECM.

It's more than annoying when it could wreck your bike or take your life, through no fault of your own.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 08-25-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 PM
eisterd
Road Captain

Originally Posted by flyer91
Here's what I'd like to say:

"This 'run-and-shoot' situation is caused by posting about a cruiser in a touring forum.
Ya see .....the bike just wants to get to it's proper forum so damn fast that it causes a reaction in the over thruster's chamber thereby engaging the warp drive, propelling the bike forward into a ditch, curve, or even a tree, and causing the rider to insult the people he's asking for help, as his introduction.

You might want to post your question in the cruiser forum ..... but use a bit more grace and tact or they will punk you out of there too.

So now ....... for a person from a state that grows apples (and apparently an overabundance of dumb asses) .... howdaya like them apples??"

But I won't say that because I'm too civil ..........
I think the mods moved it here for some reason

Old 08-25-2010, 07:49 PM
pirateheadman
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody has given the usual response yet to somebody with an questionable claim on their second post. Where are the troll slayers?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:03 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be loss of compression during engine braking that caused the sudden acceleration? It seems that the OP and MNPGRider's scenarios both happened under engine braking conditions.... A loss of compression under these conditions would seem like acceleration I would think....

Old 08-25-2010, 08:32 PM
nccinstaller
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pirateheadman
Nobody has given the usual response yet to somebody with an questionable claim on their second post. Where are the troll slayers?
Same thing I was thinking! Don't feed the troll lol lol lol