Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden acceleration TC88B

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 06:04 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roadglide9
Since my experience level is being questioned let me just add that I am a member of HOG's Million Mile Club. I am 55 and have ridden since I was 11, Harleys since I was 15. The wrecked bike was a show bike that saw very little use, hence the low miles. I currently own 4 Harleys having just recently sold my Electra Glide Classic. Experience is NOT an issue here, this was mechanical or electronic failure that caused sudden, HARD acceleration at the worst possible time. The steep downhill threw me hard from a sideways position and dropped the bike on top of me breaking my right ankle, three ribs and one finger.
I was hoping to find some assistance here but apparently thats not the case.
I stand corrected and apologize! My reply was based on the (small amount) of facts presented in your original post presented, that and you being a 1st time poster on this forum. Guarantee, if you'd been one of the "regulars" here with the same posting, the replies would've been more "helpful".

Sorry for your injuries and hope you heal up soon!

I'm no wrencher, but my guess is it has something to do with a mechanical failure as a result of the bike not being ridden much. I've seen numerous things fail just as much from lack of use than from over-use.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:32 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sudden acceleration on a TC88 is almost an oxymoron.

Seriously, I had that happen once while pulling the front brake and inadvertantly increasing the throttle while downshifting into first. I'm more careful now.

Otherwise, a broken throttle return spring may have been the culprit, though you probably checked that after inspecting the crashed bike.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:23 PM
lfmn16
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping to find some assistance here but apparently thats not the case.
Actually you WERE getting some assistance. Since no one here knows you, the obvious causes have to be ruled out first. Rather than get your panties in a knot because someone that doesn't know you speculates on your experience, you could just acknowledge the fact that you are an experienced rider and leave it at that.

Also, in a very short search of this problem on the internet, it becomes obvious that most sudden acceleration problems are driver error. That may not be correct in your case, but there is a reason people STARTED with that.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:45 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Lot's of unnecessary harsh comments here.

Many computer controlled Harleys, slowing down with their throttles closed, will experience a surge in speed, lasting just a second or so. This has been well reported by various writers in magazines over the years.
Our Ultra did exactly that during it's first 5,000 miles. After doing the stage one download, it happens very seldom, but still happens. I would describe it as "loading up" on gas and suddenly accelerating. While having my bike in for service, I was given the opportunity to test drive a new Street Glide (an '08). Slowing down on an exit ramp, it suddenly accelerated almost to the point that I lost control and hit the far curb on the exit ramp. Yes, it happens, and it's not fun when it does so unexpectedly.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:47 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking for information on sudden acceleration issues related to the TC88B engine on my '04 FXSTSi. I just had the bike accelerate hard while in first gear on a downhill hairpin. Needless to say the resulting crash trashed my bike! Only 2260 miles on this bike and I am quite upset about it.
Does anyone out there have any experience or information on this situation? Thanks in advance.

Replies from Dumb Asses will be ignored!
Well this tells the situation, but does not give enough technical data to make an informed opinion of what could have mechanically gone wrong. Apparently you feel it is in the fuel delivery actuation. Any technician would need to know more in order to further assists you.

Sorry to hear of these types of accidents, I for one hope you are healing well considering the extent of bodily injury you stated that you sustained in the other post.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

This problem has been discussed before on this forum. Note post 12 and 19 on this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...l-for-efi.html

They describe what I've experienced.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 08-24-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:12 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Sudden acceleration is,,,, Usually tied directly to the right hand.....

Old 08-24-2010, 11:35 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Throttle cable sticking due to low mileage bike sitting...lube throttle cable with teflon lubricant. If it is an EFI bike and has 8 degree fuel injectors that might be a cause of surging.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:02 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Throttle cable sticking due to low mileage bike sitting...lube throttle cable with teflon lubricant. If it is an EFI bike and has 8 degree fuel injectors that might be a cause of surging.
Would a stuck throttle cable cause acceleration?

Old 08-25-2010, 06:18 AM
chevy94ss
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1. I'm thinking possible throttle cable issue from under lubrication/use.

Quick Reply: Sudden acceleration TC88B