Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting Apes on a RoadKing or other Bars what all needs to be done??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:31 AM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Putting Apes on a RoadKing or other Bars what all needs to be done??

Okay, made up my mind today that my next mod to my 09 RoadKing will be new bars. Just NOT happy with the stock ones. So, I'm thinking going APE! I love the looks of them in the photo I attached from HD's set up. The are the "new" HD 16" Apes. So, my questions for all of you that have replaced bars on there bikes before.... I know I will need new cables for the bike. SO, any guess on what the cables will all cost? I know from what the dealer told me I should be able to continue to use my Cruise Control which is a good thing but I'm not 100% sure what everything will cost. Someone told me to plan $1000 by the time it's all finished. To me that sound's crazy for just putting bars on but maybe they were right? I know the dealership told me it's VERY labor intensive to replace all the cables so I'm sure that's not going to help.

I'm not 100% if I'm going to roll with 16" apes but I defiantly want to make the change. From one extreme to the other I'm either going with an APE of some sort or Beach Bars. I'm only 5'9" so I'm thinking 16" may be a little too high for me?

Any feedback or ideas would be great!

Thanks!

T

Attached Thumbnails Putting Apes on a RoadKing or other Bars what all needs to be done??-flhr-3-1280x1024.jpg  
Old 08-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Chicago 03 King
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been searching on putting a set Wild1 575 on my '03 Road King. These are only 12.5" high and it looks like I'm going to need a longer clutch cable & brakes line along with wire extensions. I haven't found a definitive answer if I'll need new throttle cables.

With you having throttle-by-wire you won't need throttle cables, but will need additional wires in the extension kit. The tedious part is if you are going to internally wire the handlebars.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:05 PM
silverbullitt
Road Captain

www.johnnyvaughn.com I got everything I needed for about 590. Do all my own labor. This will give you a good idea. Hill Country Customs is another reputable company. Search the web. I will do them all day long for 1000.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:32 PM
2WheelThrill
Tourer

My 2009 RKC is in the shop as we speak getting measured for the necessary cables with my new Santee 11" mini apes. I'll post back here what they said I need to order for cable lengths - will give you a general idea on what lengths you will need.

FYI, some bar mfgs can tell you what cable lengths you will need based on their bars and the bike you install them on.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:34 PM
2WheelThrill
Tourer

Oooops! Sorry, I thought you were looking at 12.5", not 16" apes. I'm afraid my cable lengths won't do you much good!

Old 08-24-2010, 12:47 PM
steelhead
Road Master

First, go 2" higher than you think you should. I heard this time and again and didn't follow it. I love my 14" chubbys but 16 (or even 18 would have been better).

The throttle by wire might be a complicating factor but with rudimentery skills you should be able to do your own wrenching. I cut and soldered extensions on my wiring harness rather than pay for the premade extensions. This was a hassle but worked out fine and saved some coin. You will have to change cables and brakelines. For me (non- TBW) that was around $325 to go with Magnum Sterling Chromites -- well worth it. Also go with a one piece clamp.

All in all, I think you will like the change and if you do the work yourself I would estimate $600 bones give or take.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:53 PM
silverbullitt
Road Captain

Steelhead hit it right on the "steel head". I put 12.5's on my RK, went with +6. Ended up changing the clutch cable to +8. Then I figured out the original +6 I had routed incorrectly. The +8 works great, but now I know the +6 would have been ok if I had removed my head from my *** before I did the original install.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:00 PM
okieboyinaz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search on here. There is TONS of info on this topic. The dealer is going to tell you its really hard to scare you away from doing it yourself. I just put new bars cable and chrome controls on my road king for about 600. I had never done any wrenching on my bike. JUst took my time and used this site. Anybody that tells you to get taller than you think is exactly right! I dont regret getting 16s but if I had it to do again, Id get 18s. Do it yourself unless you like the idea of giving somebody 500 plus dollars for something you can do, I found it enjoyable and a great learning experience. Oh yeah... my cruise still works too

Old 08-24-2010, 01:05 PM
silverbullitt
Road Captain

Plus, doing it yourself about 5 big head hundreds, and you can say...Hell yeah, I did it.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:34 PM
1968aj
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i kow they are not apes but heritage bars fit my road king all stock cables fit cost me a little over forty dollars

Quick Reply: Putting Apes on a RoadKing or other Bars what all needs to be done??