Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting Apes on a RoadKing or other Bars what all needs to be done??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 AM
HDBRATT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I changed out my bars to Wild one12.5 apes and had my bf and neighbor do it. Well that turned out to be a f-in nightmare and I finally took it to my HD and let them deal with it and it's done and I love it but yes with parts and new braided lines and labor I was in it for about 1300. Wish I would have waited and saved but my shoulder was killing me with the death bars HD gives ya on the RK. Good luck...I know there are guys on here who did it themselves(they knew what they were doing)..but if ya dont let HD do it.....save yourself the nightmare I went through.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:37 AM
strich
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in about the same position as you.

I had 16"ers on my Street Bob and loved them and was considering going with 18" on my RKC when i get the funds together, but I'm thinking that for pure comfort, the 16s will do me just fine. When i inquired about it at my dealer, he said the 18s, out the door, would be $1500. Ouch. But i also don't have the patience to do it myself. But i also don't have to worry about the throttle by wire, and that price included the Diamondback cables.

Been there, done that with internally wiring the bars and installing on the Bob. Now i'm all about just getting back out on the street and riding again and knowing i have a trustworthy mechanic at my dealer.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PWFD
but I dont think they work with "stock" RK cables? That's what the dealer said anyway.?. They told me with the new RK "nothing" will fit with stock cables. I hope someone here can prove them wrong... :-)
I recently had Heritage style bars installed on my 2010 RKC. I didn't need anything else but the bars, all factory cables and everything that was already on the bike worked. I have CC and that wasn't an issue either.

They're much better than the factory bars but just too narrow for me to be comfortable, I wish I could find bars the same height just wider, that would be perfect for me.

But for $60 the bars cost it was worth it to try and see. I didn't have to pay labor for these as it was done at the same time they were already doing something else.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 AM
PWFD
Road Master

Got my 16" installed with Braided Cables and all wiring inside for a touch on $1300. Great move on my part. I road about 100 miles yesterday and NEVER would have been able to do it in the comfort with my stock road king bars. 16's were a great choice for me!

Old 09-27-2010, 09:54 AM
strich
Tourer

Originally Posted by PWFD
Got my 16" installed with Braided Cables and all wiring inside for a touch on $1300. Great move on my part. I road about 100 miles yesterday and NEVER would have been able to do it in the comfort with my stock road king bars. 16's were a great choice for me!
Grats man! You got any new pics of the ride with the bars?

Old 09-27-2010, 09:58 AM
HDBRATT
Stellar HDF Member

Just a little FYI...Last night my bushings came loose on my RK on the highway. Pulled over at a craker barrel and had to have the bike towed. It's now up at HD getting fixed.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:04 PM
steelhead
Road Master

That is what you get for letting HD wrench on your bike. Not blaming you Trish but there is no excuse for that but we hear of similar stories way too often.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:17 AM
jtomhd
Cruiser
Default See? I'm Thinkin' About Going in the Opposite Direction...

I've been thinking about some Carlini super fat beach bar style bars for my RKC. The bars ain't cheap, but Jesus Murphy, $1500 to put on some bars? Pinche Bastardos!

I changed the brakes all around on my '97 Infiniti I30 once. Discs and everything. I was scared but I had the manual, and everything turned out fine. I was proud of myself.

Do you need special tools to do bars? I could see cam swap and other stuff being scary if you didn't have a clue and no manual and no special tools.

John

Old 09-28-2010, 08:25 AM
HDBRATT
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by steelhead
That is what you get for letting HD wrench on your bike. Not blaming you Trish but there is no excuse for that but we hear of similar stories way too often.
Well I posted up to see if anyone near me knew how and didn't hear any firm yeah I can come help ya. So I did what I had to do. I have faith in Nate my HD mechanic....but chit does happen. Am I happy about it hell no...but what other options did I have?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:42 PM
robvg
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm no mechanic by any means but did successfully install 16" bars on my '09 RK last winter. (all internal & TBW) If it's your first time, DON'T plan on doing it in a day!! When dismantling wiring harness etc....take pictures and make drawings. It's amazing what one forgets from one day to the next. I took all my info from these forums btw. Thanks to all you guys who know who you are. Forget the expensive pre-made connectors and just buy a roll of wire from your local electrical wholesaler. (I got my wire free) Remember to stagger the soldering connections if you're going 'internal'. IT CAN BE DONE !!.......Remember those words and when you think it can't......have another beer and start again the next day with a fresh attitude.