Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting Apes on a RoadKing or other Bars what all needs to be done??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:14 PM
BDL
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put 16"s on my RKC and don't regret it for a second! I was thinking I'd go with 14's but everybody says go bigger...They are right. I got the whole setup for $491 delivered from HCC. Worth looking into. And yes, you'll still have cruise control. I also did my own labor which was time consuming but well worth the effort. Good luck. Larry

Old 08-24-2010, 08:46 PM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1968aj
i kow they are not apes but heritage bars fit my road king all stock cables fit cost me a little over forty dollars
What year is your King? My dealer said you could use Heritage Bars on the King up to the year they switched all the wiring. 2008 maybe? Can't remember.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:02 PM
bellgnte
Road Master

They make a heritage style cut for the TBW.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:05 PM
rando1954
6th Gear

I put H.D. 10" apes on my 2002 Firefighter Road King and didn't have to change any cables , brake lines or the cruise control . All the stock lengths worked . I'm 6'2'' and very comfortable with the swap .

Old 08-24-2010, 09:19 PM
PWFD
Road Master

Originally Posted by bellgnte
They make a heritage style cut for the TBW.
but I dont think they work with "stock" RK cables? That's what the dealer said anyway.?. They told me with the new RK "nothing" will fit with stock cables. I hope someone here can prove them wrong... :-)

Old 08-24-2010, 09:34 PM
silverbullitt
Road Captain

They are feeding you a line of BS. The only thing you might need to change for 10 inch bars is the clutch cable, and you may get by with that. The wires are long enough in the nacelle, the brake line has some slack, the TBW is not a problem at all, it is way long.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:12 PM
latnyte
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sorry if i missed it but is there a how to on the forum somewhere? i have street slammers on my road king custom now and am thinking 12-14 inch apes this winter.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:19 PM
LRHD
Road Captain

I'm 5'10" and have 18" apes and love them. As stated by other posts, the hard part is the internal wiring in the bars. There are how to videos that show exactly what to do. Look it up on youtube. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2010, 06:48 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PWFD
Okay, made up my mind today that my next mod to my 09 RoadKing will be new bars. Just NOT happy with the stock ones. So, I'm thinking going APE! I love the looks of them in the photo I attached from HD's set up. The are the "new" HD 16" Apes. So, my questions for all of you that have replaced bars on there bikes before.... I know I will need new cables for the bike. SO, any guess on what the cables will all cost? I know from what the dealer told me I should be able to continue to use my Cruise Control which is a good thing but I'm not 100% sure what everything will cost. Someone told me to plan $1000 by the time it's all finished. To me that sound's crazy for just putting bars on but maybe they were right? I know the dealership told me it's VERY labor intensive to replace all the cables so I'm sure that's not going to help.

I'm not 100% if I'm going to roll with 16" apes but I defiantly want to make the change. From one extreme to the other I'm either going with an APE of some sort or Beach Bars. I'm only 5'9" so I'm thinking 16" may be a little too high for me?

Any feedback or ideas would be great!

Thanks!

T
Contact Hill Country Customs, they will sell you a complete kit that has all the parts you need and it will fit perfect.
Did it last winter they sell good stuff and it fits.
I'm 5'10' and I found that 12" is plenty high unless you are going are going to spend all your time in town doing little short rides.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:43 PM
gasol1ne
Cruiser

Quick Reply: Putting Apes on a RoadKing or other Bars what all needs to be done??