Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint code problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:46 AM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default paint code problem

I need to paint my saddlebags with the same color of the bike. I have a 09 rkc deep tourquoise/antique white.

asked the dealer for the color code and he told me is 153. I suppouse that 153 is harley code for the deep tq/antique white and the pinstripes but I only need the antique white code. he told me that 153 is the only code he has for the paint with my vin number.

can anybody please help me with this?

thank you

Old 08-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

HD sells paint EXCEPT for CVO and custom colors (like your torquoise/antique white).

Send a PM to jharanin; he works for PPG and can probably give you the paint codes and mix forumula that a local PPG distributor can mix for you.

You can also check with a local PPG distributor or body shop with PPG paint mixing capability (the shop I used for my bike repaint project last year had it); they'll have PPG computer software with HD paint names by model year with mixing forumulas.

Although I haven't done it, some say a color camera can take a picture of a side cover, for example, and use it to mix the matching paint.

Color-rite is a company that offers matching HD paint and you can try them as well.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 08-24-2010, 12:22 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My dealer told me they didn't know the codes. They have been in business for ever so I figured they would have that info and just weren't newbie's.

They told me to go to somewhere that mixes PPG paint and tell them what year and color.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:47 AM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you for the answer.

I know every color has an international color code in order to make the right mix and get that color but for some reason I dont know, harley dont give customers that code.

All other vehicles I own have the paint code in the vin sticker...

Im from spain and ther's no ppg painters arround, there should be a standar code in order to get the same color without using ppg, right?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Solitario
thank you for the answer.

I know every color has an international color code in order to make the right mix and get that color but for some reason I dont know, harley dont give customers that code.

All other vehicles I own have the paint code in the vin sticker...

Im from spain and ther's no ppg painters arround, there should be a standar code in order to get the same color without using ppg, right?
Your HD dealer should have the HD "Paint book" (it was a paper catalog until 2006 or so; now it's on HD's intranet) which is used for ordering painted parts to replace damaged parts (e.g. saddlebag lids, side covers, etc.) typically. It also lists the HD p/n's for HD production colors that can be ordered in touch-up, aerosol cans, and quarts (for spraying). However, HD doesn't list the CVO or custom colors in the "paint book" for paint--probably to prevent others from making CVO or custom color clones.

I don't know about VIN-based paint codes; only how to get or try to get paint to match HD colors.

I've read that Dupont paint distributors have similar paint mix formulas for HD colors like PPG, and you may be able to find "color cameras" at auto body/paint distributor shops.

Bottom line: there are a finite number of ways to get paint to match HD colors.

Carl

PS: Perhaps you should edit your profile to add in the "location" part that you are in Spain.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:24 AM
trailey97
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i needed to paint the front fairing on a 08 anniversary sg and called 4 different harley shops in the Houston area and they told me HD doesnt even give paint codes to dealers or paint companies and reason being that harley doesnt want to see someone trick out an old camaro or pickup and have thier colors on it or want the competition to get it and paint a honda rebel the same color as a anniversary or cvo model or even a basic model. and i got that same response from 4 different dealers. if you can find exact codes that match perfectly, then thats awesome. if you go to a good paint shop then they should be able to do a damn good job at matchin the colors.

oh yeah harley told me i would have to buy the paint from the dealership which comes in quarts and they quoted me like $100 a quart. i settled with a already painted fairing from ebay for $200. cheaper that way in labor and now i have 2 fairings

Old 08-25-2010, 10:57 AM
JPstreetglide
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts