Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch: At what point did you guys beef it up or upgrade to aftermarket ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:29 PM
35th_superglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Certified Drunk
You have to remove the cover,
What I meant to say was: On a 09+, do you have to remove the outer primary or can you do it through the derby cover.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:48 PM
WI Bob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 35th_superglide
What I meant to say was: On a 09+, do you have to remove the outer primary or can you do it through the derby cover.
I did my '09 not long ago and had to remove the outer primary. Still a simple install. But there was no way that donut was going thru the derby hole.

BTW, Nice grip now. Also switch from Amsoil 20w-50 to Amsoil Super Shift.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:51 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 35th_superglide
It can be done through the derby cover.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:10 AM
Big Red
Cruiser

Heavy Duty Clutch Spring for Stock Clutch 37951-98 $29.95

Old 08-25-2010, 05:45 AM
The Old Man
Road Master

They have 8 clutch plates and 9 friction plates......both in the 05 to 10's.
Ronnies HD in mass has a free mircrofhes (sp) viewer.

http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson...idsonparts.htm

Old 08-25-2010, 06:10 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Well speaking of a clutch,, I was at the York plant a few weeks ago and while walking the line saw a box marked "POLICE CLUTCH" so I asked and the person said the police unit is a heavy duty clutch that is not installed on the normal touring machine. Now the question is can you order that type of clutch be installed on your bagger?

Old 08-25-2010, 06:23 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider
Before you spend the big bucks upgrading the clutch...add the S/E clutch spring and use B&M Trick Shift in the primary. Solved all my clutch slippage problems. Solid lock up every time now....
This is your next logical step,more power always,needs more clutch,your learning the curve of things.If or when you overpower the stock clutch with upgrades,your next move will have to be the whole enchilada.For example Barnett Scorpion good for 250 lb ft tq

Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 AM
18BKLR
Road Master

Originally Posted by runnhrd
Well speaking of a clutch,, I was at the York plant a few weeks ago and while walking the line saw a box marked "POLICE CLUTCH" so I asked and the person said the police unit is a heavy duty clutch that is not installed on the normal touring machine. Now the question is can you order that type of clutch be installed on your bagger?

Anybody know the difference??

Old 08-25-2010, 06:31 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by joe98
Guys, just curious as to several people here doing many mods to their bikes. Majority just pipes, air intake/filter and tuner. When you start to get into cams and 2-1 pipes, is this the point when a stronger clutch would foot the bill ? My bike is a 2008 Street Glide, SE intake/Zippers Maxflow filter, Head Quarters HQ-500 cams, SE Super Tuner and a Bassani 2-1 Road Rage exhaust. Before the 2-1 pipe, the dyno tune showed 83hp/95tq. Sometimes, on a hard roll on in 3rd it feels like I'm getting some slippage. Should I be looking at a Barnett, AIM, or SE heavy duty ? Just trying to prevent any damage. Thanks for the help and advice.

Joe
I just throw in a SE spring, it made a world of difference.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:50 AM
bluesmanjesse
Road Captain

Recently I tried Spectro Heavy duty Primary Chaincase and Transmission lube and I liked it's perfomance until last night riding home from work it was about 48 degrees outside and my clutch started slipping,it was most noticable in 6th gear when I would roll into it kinda hard the RPM's would go up but the bike didn't really accelerate much and my 6th gear light would go out on the dash until I let out of the throttle.

I bought the bike with a Stage 2 SE 103" kit already installed, I assume it already has the SE stiffer clutch spring in it but how can I tell for sure ? Is there an easy way to tell?

I am gonna drop the Spectro out and maybe try the B&M Trick Shift, DO you guys use the original or the synthetic Trick Shift?

Thanks !

BTW, I am still gonna run Spectro HD 20-50 V-twin oil in the engine, I am really happy with it.

Quick Reply: Clutch: At what point did you guys beef it up or upgrade to aftermarket ?