Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Canal Street Rain Gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Krow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD Canal Street Rain Gear

Hi. We had old rain gear that kept us dry but was VERY bulky to pack, the two full sets almost filling one saddle bag. Just before leaving in a week long trip a few weeks ago, we bought the HD Mens Canal Street and Ladies Jettison rain gear. They have heat shields on the inside of the pant legs and both pack up into a disc about 9" round and a couple of inches thick, making them ideal from a space-saving perspective.

We never had to use them on our trip but I'm now wondering (as I should have before buying but was in a hurry to get something before we left) if anyone else has these suits and if they are happy with them. Do they keep the water out? Do they breathe or are they like wearing a plastic bag keeping perspiration trapped inside? Do the heat shields do their job?

Keith

Old 08-23-2010, 06:56 PM
daharleyrdr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Rainsuits

Krow
I know where ya comin from I also had big bulky HD Gear in my bags each one the top and bottom packed about the size of a bike cover!! Tooooo big
I also bought the canal gear and love how it folds into the hood and is small when packed. Ive used it many times, only in a short downpour. I was coming back from Americade this year and rode four hours in the effin I mean effin freakin storm almost had to pull over it was so bad, the canal suit held up great yeah my pants bottom got a little wet but overall I stayed dry yeah a heavy suit would have been better but the space trade off to me wouldn't be worth it Ill stay with the small packable canal Rain Suit!! Now If I was a long distance Iron Butt Rider I may carry a heavier suit but for my needs I'm good!! My two cents BV

Old 08-23-2010, 07:26 PM
woosh
Outstanding HDF Member

Women has the Jettison rain suit and I have the Classic Cruiser suit which is about the equilivent of the packable rain suit, much more of a space taker. Might buy the Canal Street gear for myself just to save on space. 2 of my suits now would take up allmost all of 1 saddlebag. Canal Street and Jettison suits you would still have room for 2 leather jackets..

Old 08-23-2010, 07:50 PM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We pack our rain suits (Gore-tex Paclite) in those reusable vacuum bags. Shrinks them down to a manageable size. So far, we haven't had any trouble finding a vacuum cleaner to rebag them.
The bags would work just as well with lighter weight suits, I suppose.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:54 PM
LabRat07
Tourer

Got the Canal Street and it has been great. Because of it's size, I always have it with me and has kept me dry through several storms.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain

I use the Canal Street Suit and it works very well in all conditions. They have no pockets and are a bare bones type of suit but they pack really small. The trade off I feel is worth the lack of bling in a rain suit. The leg heatshields work very well. I give it an A.

Tim

Old 08-23-2010, 09:39 PM
pauletich
Road Master

I have the canal street and I love it. I have been caught in some pretty bad down pours and come out of it dry as a bone. You may want to get some gators unless you have some pretty good water proof boots. All in all great rain gear.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Krow
Tourer

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. All experiences seem to be positive! I'm glad because it wasn't practical to always packing the heavier stuff and this stuff is so small I can leave it on the bike. Was just hoping it wouldn't shred in the first wind.

Keith