Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! A small screw MIGHT have fallen into the oil filler hole on my 2010 FLHX Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 06:01 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Man that sucks...Can't add anything that my fellow HDFer's havent said EXCEPT....WELCOME!!!! Quite a first post...Please update us with what you find....OR in this case, Don't find... Good Luck!!!!
Tim.....:-).....o~`o....................

Last edited by riteway; 08-23-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:10 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trade that bike in for a new SE Road glide and then the dealer can worry about the screwing you gave him.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:31 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hell id never sleep again .. Dont worry about it like has been said there is a screen on the oil pickup it aint gonna make it anywhere if its even in there..

Old 08-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Wildtimer
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the advice...
Gonna go out and work the bike over again...pull the battery box and all. Cannot freakin believe the misfortune here especially cause I'm always so careful...apparently not careful enough this time. I did drive the bike about 6 miles to go get some new oil then changed the oil. Didn't see any metal shavings in the oil after the ride to lead me to believe it had been chewed up by any gears. My thought was the worst case scenario being that the screw (if its even in there) somehow blocks the flow of oil through the pump. Of course, if that things gets chewed up in a gear...the damage could be considerably worse as it would make it through the mesh oil pump screen.

Wow...what a way to ruin a few days of me life. I just cant IMAGINE that freakin screw could have made it into that oil filler hole!!! I'll keep ya posted!

Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master

I also would not rest until I found that screw. But, highly suspect it's stuck in some crevice on the bike - also, check the whole floor - you could have kicked it across the floor. I've also lost a few screws over the years - sometimes compressed air can dislodge them.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:21 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You gotta do the CSI thing on it, get your brightest flash light and grid search with the lights off.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:26 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildtimer
Thanks all for the advice...
Gonna go out and work the bike over again...pull the battery box and all. Cannot freakin believe the misfortune here especially cause I'm always so careful...apparently not careful enough this time. I did drive the bike about 6 miles to go get some new oil then changed the oil. Didn't see any metal shavings in the oil after the ride to lead me to believe it had been chewed up by any gears. My thought was the worst case scenario being that the screw (if its even in there) somehow blocks the flow of oil through the pump. Of course, if that things gets chewed up in a gear...the damage could be considerably worse as it would make it through the mesh oil pump screen.

Wow...what a way to ruin a few days of me life. I just cant IMAGINE that freakin screw could have made it into that oil filler hole!!! I'll keep ya posted!
That basically means that the screw could be anywhere along the 6 mile route as well.
You must be like my brother, I swear he'd leave each bottle of oil standing upside down in the fill hole for at least 10 minutes. Wanting to get every drop of oil he paid for. And yes before I get slammed I am talking about his car.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:36 PM
CroK
Banned

Do you hear a clicking sound when you walk? Look at the sole of yer shoe, see if you stepped on it...

Old 08-23-2010, 08:49 PM
bluesmanjesse
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get yourself a clean oil drain pan and just keep pouring the oil through with the bike on the kickstand and see if you can flush it out.

I would first give the bike a full shakedown/ fine tooth comb inspection,look EVERYWHERE... it's amazing where things can find thier way into.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:50 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bdp
you gotta do the csi thing on it, get your brightest flash light and grid search with the lights off.
breakout the luminol!!!

Quick Reply: HELP! A small screw MIGHT have fallen into the oil filler hole on my 2010 FLHX Glide