Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn Cover replacement lesson

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010 | 06:59 AM
daharleyrdr
|
Tourer
Unhappy Horn Cover replacement lesson

I purchused from a Forum member a black powdercoated horn cover for my 08 EGC I downloaded the install instructions from HD web site just to get an idea of doing it the right way. Like they say read the instructions carefully and all of them!! I removed chrome cover and replaced with black cover and again didint read all of the instructions, I missed the part about "do not overtightening the horn mount screw as it may do damage and the horn is a sealed unit and cannot be repaired, must be replaced"!
So I didnt want to mess with it put on the chrome coaver and went to the dealer the Service writer said the tech could maybe adjust the hor! Great so I thought turns out the horn had to be replaced!! $93 later ($39 for horn $37 labor, Tax, and this really gets me $10 shop supplies!!) What is shop supplies, rags and spray can fluids used during repair!! Lesson learned next time Ill get a torque wrench and use it. So now I have a Black powder Coated Horn Cover for sale!! LOL!! Anyone intrested if not i ll list it in the classifieds thanks BV

Old 08-23-2010 | 07:08 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

So why didn't you have the black horn cover installed?

Old 08-23-2010 | 07:17 AM
daharleyrdr
|
Tourer
Default Horn Cover

I decided to stay with the chrome cover and I liked the way it looked. If I keep the bike as opposed to trading it in Ill slowly start the Darth Vader changeover during the winter downtimes! Thanks BV

Old 08-23-2010 | 07:31 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member

I just put a new horn in mine.. I tried the $17 Fiamm horn out of AutoZone. Fit just like the stocker. But unfortunately it pretty much sounds just like the stock one too.

I need a better horn for sure. HD stock horns suck eggs. (as do all the other bikes too, by the way.)

Old 08-23-2010 | 07:47 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

I bought a painted horn cover from a vendor on ebay. The horn cover is great, but when I got it all installed the horn didn't work! So, I took it all back apart and swapped out the horn in the new cover for the old one. It now works fine and took me about 45 minutes from start to everything cleaned up and put away. I did notice a screw on the back of the horn that came with the new cover that isn't on the OEM one I had. Don't know if it was an age or model thing or not. I'd guess it's an adjustment screw, but didn't mess with it and so I don't really know if they can be adjusted..

Old 08-23-2010 | 07:50 AM
daharleyrdr
|
Tourer
Default Horn Replacement

Im looking into the Kyryakin Hidden Air Horns $145 I saw them on a guys bike at a dealer a few weeks ago, mounted behind the right saddlebag looked neat and real tightly hidden I thought at the time he mounted a set of air horns there on his own, now I see Kuryaking makes the kit!! Can never have enough horn!! LOL Thanks BV

Old 08-23-2010 | 08:14 AM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by daharleyrdr
and this really gets me $10 shop supplies!!) What is shop supplies, rags and spray can fluids used during repair!!
Whenever I have my dealer do anything, I bring in my own 99 cent spray can of break cleaner.
Saves me the $8 they charge for one.

Old 08-23-2010 | 03:32 PM
jake0matic
Cruiser

Originally Posted by twodollarbill
Whenever I have my dealer do anything, I bring in my own 99 cent spray can of break cleaner.
Saves me the $8 they charge for one.
Shop supplies are typically a percentage of the labor charge, I work in an industry where this applies so if there is say 100.00 labor there will be 10.00 shop supplies "this is an example folks". Anyone that deals with shop supplies is aware of this and will adjust it if you complain about it, if they don't want to adjust it then tell them that you want the extra can's of silicon spray, brake cleaner etc. I personally understand a need for this fee but it needs to be a little more reasonable then 10 or 12 percent. I can see 2 percent as reasonable to a certain amount.

Old 08-24-2010 | 08:13 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master

daharleyridr,

I'll be replacing my horn cover soon, I have one to be painted but it didn't come with instructions.
Where did you find the Harley instructions?

Thanks,

Old 08-24-2010 | 10:10 PM
Eddy G
Road Master

Really? A horn cover? You had trouble with a horn cover? Sorry.

Quick Reply: Horn Cover replacement lesson