Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed--SESG2 AMP is only 2 channel

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Disappointed--SESG2 AMP is only 2 channel

I was very interested to investigate the in-fairing amp used in SESG2 (2011 CVO Street Glide) seeing that the bike has fairing speakers and fairing lower speakers (6.5" at that). It has separate tweeters also, but I have the Hogtunes Hog Pod for that.

But the amp interested me; especially since HD's literature said it was 100W per channel. I expected that the amp was four channel: l/r for front speakers; and, l/r for rear or fairing lower speakers which is how the Harman Kardon amp is designed for the CVO Ultras, and it's what HD sells as an accessory--though it's mounted under the tour pak.

Stopped by the HD store today and checked the SESG2 wiring diagram. The amp takes the front left/right speaker outputs (does not take the rear speaker output) from the head unit, amplifies it and splits it to provide left/right signals to the fairing speakers, fairing lower speakers, and (if you add a tour pak) rear speakers, as well as the tweeters. The amp doesn't use the rear speaker outputs of the HK head unit which an Ultra uses. So, it's not 4-channel in the sense that it doesn't use the rear speaker outputs from the HK head unit; but, it does provide amp outputs for the front, lowers, and rear (if added) speakers.

Also, there is no fader or balance control on the SESG2 to modify the signal going to the fairing, fairing lower, or rear speakers. This is an important consideration to me because I had the Hogtunes fairing lower speaker kit w/ amp and I couldn't hear the fairing lower speakers while riding, even with the head unit set-up for four-channel/fader control (like an Ultra) and the fairing lowers receiving the amplified rear speaker signal from the HK head unit.

Understand, this is not a knock against the sound system on the SESG2; only reporting that it's not a 4-channel/fader control amp as I had hoped.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 08-21-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:27 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even though that seems odd, that actually makes more sense because it will keep everything plug and play for add ons. Since only the Ultras come with the fader control activated from the factory, using all 4 channels would require a trip to the dealership.

This way, anyone can add speakers to the rear without activating the fader control if it was a non Ultra model.