Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Limited 103 cid Dyno Run

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:02 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=Heatwave;7179483]Not possible to tune a bike on a dyno without measuring AFR.[quote]

Really.............are you sure about that?

My tuner doesn't use AFR at all..........not accurate enough.

Steve

Old 08-22-2010, 07:42 PM
arkeglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have the same set up...

I have a FLHTK with V&H power duals and a SE air cleaner with Rienhart slip-ons. I HAD a Powercammander V untill last week. My dealer had a special on a SE tuner installed with a Dyno for a price I could not pass on. I had some suspisions that the PC-V was leaving something on the table. After the SE tuner and Dyno tune, I am very happy. Bike is running great. I have almost the exact same numbers. 78.97hp and 95.35tq.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Steelknee57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=maineultraclassic;7180751][quote=Heatwave;7179483]Not possible to tune a bike on a dyno without measuring AFR.

Really.............are you sure about that?

My tuner doesn't use AFR at all..........not accurate enough.

Steve
Mine didn't either. Results are much more accurate using the 4 phase.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:57 PM
roadglide sy
Cruiser

HAD a Powercammander V untill last week. My dealer had a special on a SE tuner installed with a Dyno for a price I could not pass on.

what was the price just wondering what is a good deal ? Thanks Jim

Old 08-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

[quote=Steelknee57;7180938][quote=maineultraclassic;7180751]
Originally Posted by Heatwave
Not possible to tune a bike on a dyno without measuring AFR.

Mine didn't either. Results are much more accurate using the 4 phase.
All Twin Cam tuning I'm aware of uses some methodology for measuring AFR. Either they are using a sniffer on the exhaust or another technology to measure AFR through the O2 sensors. I'm not sure what other methodology can ensure the bike isn't running lean or too rich without measuring AFR through some approach.

I'd be very interested in learning about another methodology for tuning that doesn't use AFR. I welcome the opportunity to learn something new. Please share.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:26 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I'd be very interested in learning about another methodology for tuning that doesn't use AFR. I welcome the opportunity to learn something new. Please share.
Here's one...

http://bigboyzcycles.com/showthread.php?t=119

Old 08-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
Thanks, I learned something new. But as he points out, 99% of all tuners use AFR to make their adjustments. His "new" tuning methodology is still analyzing the exhaust with some type of exhaust sniffer but instead of analyzing just 1 component, he's analyzing 4 components.

I'm no Chem E. (although my wife is), but I'm just not too sure how this tuner can make any better judgement on changes to the VE tables or the spark advance tables that will somehow produce a better tuning outcome simply because he's analyzing 4 exhaust by-products instead of 1. Now if he were claiming he could tune a bike faster and therefore more cheaply by analyzing 4 combustion by-products vs 1, then I would want his number and I suspect there'd be a worn out bike track on the road to his shop.

But since he's in the 1%, my guess is he's charging more $ for a tune that supposedly get's a "smoother" result (like there's some measurement for smoothness).

I don't mean to slam a new technology (since all new technologies were new at 1 time), but I'm afraid this one reads abit too "sketchy" for me. I'll let others be the first test subjects and report back on the costs, service and results of this tuner's "methodology" before I'd be interested in applying it to my bike.

BTW, it's somewhat suspect for any tuner to call the O2 in the combustion equation the "least important component". Oxygen is arguably the single most important molecule in any combustion event and the lack or presence of it in the exhaust is probably the single most important element to making measurements of a complete burn. It shouldn't be a surprise that almost all EFI vehicles made around the WORLD with a closed loop system use O2 sensors. Could all of their R&D labs be wrong because they're using the "least important element in the formula" for measuring combustion?

Last edited by Heatwave; 08-22-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:54 PM
arkeglide
Advanced

what was the price just wondering what is a good deal ? Thanks Jim[/QUOTE]

It was $550.00 installed with dyno tune included. I think it was a good deal.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:04 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

Actually Bean charges exactly what all the local shop charge for dyno tuning, and his tunes come out much much better.

By measuring all 4 gases he gets a much better view of exactly what is happening in the combustion chamber. He can then make adjustments, and do another set of runs to see if it needs more adjusting.

When he tuned my bike, it was 8 hours on the dyno, 98 miles, and over a tank of fuel. Very fun and interesting to watch, much more involved then any of the other 3 dyno tunes I had gotten before.

Steve

Old 08-23-2010, 07:08 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

Here is a link to a discussion on this exact topic -

http://www.*****************/forums/tw...g-afr-ega.html

Steve

Quick Reply: 2010 Limited 103 cid Dyno Run