Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 RK New Exhaust Question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:37 PM
auldrd7051@yahoo.com
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 RK New Exhaust Question?

I have Rush 2.0 Slip-ons on my 2010 RK. The cat is Muffling the sound. Im changing to the 2.5 Rush Slip ons next week, I know this will improve sound some, but I want that real Harley sound on a budget. Is it feasible to not run a baffle in the left exhaust since it doesnt produce near as much sound or exhaust as the right one? Bike has Stage One upgrade with tuner and has been dynoed. I have heard the cat produces back pressure, and bike sounds good with left baffle removed. Anyone?

Old 08-20-2010, 11:42 PM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, I'd like to know also.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:43 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the SE Nightstick (SuperTrapp) on mine and, when I was about to install an open end-cap instead of closed, I tried a 10-second ride with JUST the internal baffle inside the muff plus the damn CAT (no end-cap, no disks, no-nothing on the end).

She was running so lean that throttle response was terrible and she would almost stall under a simple throttle-blip in neutral. That's with the CAT plus SuperTrapp baffle. Granted, not much of a baffle, but still it's a bit more than no baffle at all. BTW - I already had the MOCO "Stage 1" rev-extender flash done too.

I ended up with the open end-cap and no disks (removed the 10 original disks from the NightStick and used the open end-cap instead). Per SuperTrapp, the open end-cap is the same back-pressure as 10 to 12 disks. So far, so good and, IMHO, she's quite loud when twisting her tail but still reasonably quite at steady throttle. Sounds good, to me anyway.

WARNING - A serious problem with the chrome Nightstick though... bluing, BLUING, BLUING! I am personally convinced that it's the CAT heat that caused the bluing problem too. If I lived in Californistan, I would maybe go with a black NightStick and black heat-shields. Thankfully though, I live in FL and will go to a good exhaust system ASAP (short on $ right now).

Old 08-21-2010, 04:13 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if there is an inexpensive way to do what you are trying to accomplish (ie true HD sound) without replacing the header pipes as well. I know I am going to have to do that when I get my '11 RK that is on order. The cat in the head pipe seems to be what the issue here. Someone earlier posted a pic of their stock headpipe cut in half at the cat....It looks like a solid wall in there...no wonder the sound is muffled!

Probably going with V&H Power Duals here, have not decided on slip ons

Dawg

Old 08-21-2010, 05:18 AM
NOVA-FLHRC
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by auldrd7051@yahoo.com
I have Rush 2.0 Slip-ons on my 2010 RK. The cat is Muffling the sound. Im changing to the 2.5 Rush Slip ons next week, I know this will improve sound some, but I want that real Harley sound on a budget. Is it feasible to not run a baffle in the left exhaust since it doesnt produce near as much sound or exhaust as the right one? Bike has Stage One upgrade with tuner and has been dynoed. I have heard the cat produces back pressure, and bike sounds good with left baffle removed. Anyone?
I just replace my header pipe with an American Custom Power Flex Header with no cat. I have a 2010 RKC. I t made a big difference. really cooled it down too. It is not expensive $170. See their website for details.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:27 AM
diggerv
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NOVA-FLHRC
I just replace my header pipe with an American Custom Power Flex Header with no cat. I have a 2010 RKC. I t made a big difference. really cooled it down too. It is not expensive $170. See their website for details.
Do you know if they just remove the cat or do they do other stuff to the header as well?

Are you running a PC or Race tuner or an other fuel management system?

Old 08-21-2010, 06:02 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Port Dawg
Someone earlier posted a pic of their stock headpipe cut in half at the cat....It looks like a solid wall in there...no wonder the sound is muffled!

Dawg
Not mine but I saved the pic, that's ugly.

Rick

Old 08-21-2010, 07:15 AM
NOVA-FLHRC
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by diggerv
Do you know if they just remove the cat or do they do other stuff to the header as well?

Are you running a PC or Race tuner or an other fuel management system?

They remove the cat by cutting it out and re-welding the pipe back. i saw on line where some guy drilled his out, but that is not recommended. I am using a Power Commander V. Also running SE Stage 1 air cleaner and also American Custom Bombers (slip ons) with no baffles

Old 08-21-2010, 10:08 AM
hdal711
Novice
Default header pipe

Originally Posted by Port Dawg
I don't know if there is an inexpensive way to do what you are trying to accomplish (ie true HD sound) without replacing the header pipes as well. I know I am going to have to do that when I get my '11 RK that is on order. The cat in the head pipe seems to be what the issue here. Someone earlier posted a pic of their stock headpipe cut in half at the cat....It looks like a solid wall in there...no wonder the sound is muffled!

Probably going with V&H Power Duals here, have not decided on slip ons

Dawg
Ur right about that Dawg, I saw the same pic, cat cut in half. Not only holds the heat in ,but muffs the sound with my slipons. Changing my Header pipe as soon as it comes on,Jackpot 2/1/2 no cat crap. Good luck with ur 2011.. Alzie 2011 Road Glide Ultra V Black..