Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag Liners - Goofy question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Hydraboss
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Saddlebag Liners - Goofy question

Okay, this question may sound odd but that's only because it is.

From anyone who has the fitted saddlebag liners from HD, I need to know if they flex at all when you remove them or if they just slip out in while keeping their shape. If they don't have to be bent or flexed, I'm going to order a set.

But not for the usual reason.

I've been researching audio systems for tour bikes (mine's an 07 FLHX) and the sticking point is how to install the subs. Fiberglassing the interior of the boxes is near impossible if you want them to look right and building an interior frame to glass is just as hard. Buuuuttttt, if a guy had a pre-formed "mold" to work with, it would be a simple matter of applying resin to the section that needs to be stiff (the rear of the bag) and them adding layers to the interior.

Anyone help a guy out?

Old 08-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Steelknee57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use mine all the time. I cram all of my stuff into it and then I lay it on it's side and push it down to make it more flat.

When placing the liner into the bag, I think the only part that needs to be adjusted, or helped along is the width. As far as the ends go, they just slip in from front to rear. ( kind of like a sliding motion to make the rear go back into the bag space as I'm placing it in downward )

HTH

Old 08-20-2010, 11:37 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

I believe he's talking about the actual liner, not the bag that they call a liner that fits in. They are stiff and keep their shape. Just like the tour pak liner

Old 08-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Hydraboss
Tourer

Awesome. Thanks.

So I could go ahead with my idea, but I'd just want to make sure that I allow for a little space on the width (the approx 6" section). I can work with that.

Gracia amigo.

(yep, I'm talking about the liner not the bags themselves)

Old 08-20-2010, 11:56 AM
BAGGERNATE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure they will work for what you want to do. They are formed to fit the bag and do not need to be flexed to slip in, or out. The bottom part may work the way you want them to, but the top edge doesn't hold it's shape without the bag to support it and will easily bend. They are similar to the tour-pac slip in liner, but not as stiff. Since your intent is to sacrifice the liners anyway, you might be able to saturate them with something that will make them rigid while drying in place in the bag. Try calling around to dealers that might have a set in stock, you can go in and see first hand. The bottom portion will hold it's shape well enough, but the top will collapse or expand without much effort, (side to side). To answer your question no they don't need to be flexed or contorted to insert or remove.

Nate

Last edited by BAGGERNATE; 08-20-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:02 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

My aftermarket liners are not stiff at all, they are fitted to match the shape of the saddlebag but held up by Velcro. They would work OK to clean up the look inside the bags and to keep stuff out of the speaker.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Hydraboss
Tourer

I know they "will" flex..I just needed to know if they "had" to flex to go in. A good coat of fiberglass resin while they're installed and they will stiffen enough to pull them out and build the sub enclosure. I figure four layers of fiberglass should be enough (with an MDF skeleton frame for rigidity).

Think of it this way:

If the liners were made of steel (in their current shape), would you be able to pull them out or would they get stuck?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:11 PM
BAGGERNATE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hydraboss
I know they "will" flex..I just needed to know if they "had" to flex to go in. A good coat of fiberglass resin while they're installed and they will stiffen enough to pull them out and build the sub enclosure. I figure four layers of fiberglass should be enough (with an MDF skeleton frame for rigidity).

Think of it this way:

If the liners were made of steel (in their current shape), would you be able to pull them out or would they get stuck?
Is there a release agent you can coat the inside of the bag with? I'm not at all famiular with the process your trying to do, but if there is something you can use to stiffen the liner while in the bag and not stick to the bag in order to remove, then you should be good to go.

Nate

Old 08-20-2010, 12:12 PM
KING'S RIDE
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

should be good to go.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Hydraboss
Tourer

There are a ton of release agents I could use (some very expensive).

The easiest is a can of Pam. Works every time.

Quick Reply: Saddlebag Liners - Goofy question