Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know about ACC switch wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:09 PM
jimsuver
Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone know about ACC switch wiring?

I ask about this last week with no luck. There are two orange wires and one black. I am wanting to make my lighter work with a new ACC switch with the bike running or not. Do I need to use both orange wires or just one?

Old 08-18-2010, 10:46 PM
eohdtech
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you try using a test light to see which wire is hot with key on and key off? The orange/white wire is usually hot all the time. I dont know if there is one in that acc plug, but you can add one easily.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:01 PM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsuver
I ask about this last week with no luck. There are two orange wires and one black. I am wanting to make my lighter work with a new ACC switch with the bike running or not. Do I need to use both orange wires or just one?
Sounds like it's time to buy a Service manual.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:47 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Last time I checked the ACC switch only has power when the Ignition switch is on RUN or ACC. You would have to wire the lighter straight to the battery for it to be hot all the time. Be sure and fuse the circuit.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:10 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DuraGlide
Last time I checked the ACC switch only has power when the Ignition switch is on RUN or ACC. You would have to wire the lighter straight to the battery for it to be hot all the time. Be sure and fuse the circuit.
That is incorrect. I've got my L.E.D.'s connected to my acc switch, and it works with the ignition on or off.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:39 AM
CornbredNE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
That is incorrect. I've got my L.E.D.'s connected to my acc switch, and it works with the ignition on or off.

I haven't looked at it closely, but is there a dead end pigtail that comes off of the ACC switch, or is the output side of it just left empty for someone to wire in whatever they choose?

Old 08-19-2010, 01:09 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CornbredNE
I haven't looked at it closely, but is there a dead end pigtail that comes off of the ACC switch, or is the output side of it just left empty for someone to wire in whatever they choose?
I couldn't tell you for sure because I had somebody else wire my L.E.D.'s, all I know is that the switch runs whatever you plug into it regardless of if the ignition is on or off. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I'm a mechanical moron!

Old 08-19-2010, 03:07 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
I couldn't tell you for sure because I had somebody else wire my L.E.D.'s, all I know is that the switch runs whatever you plug into it regardless of if the ignition is on or off. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I'm a mechanical moron!
Thanks, because your reply explains why you have power through the ACC switch with the ignition "off." OEM from HD the ACC switch is a switched circuit that is energized only with the ignition in "on" or "access" position.

Carl

Old 08-19-2010, 03:26 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two things plugged into my accessory outlet. the Electro Glo saddle bag rail lights and the HD parade fan, all using factory connectors.

I had to buy a splitter to be able to connect two things to the plug.

The lights work with the accessory switch (on or off) and had four wires as I recall and the parade fan works regardless of the switch position and had two wires as best as I can remember. Both work with the ignition switch in the on or accessory position but neither work with the switch off.

It would appear that if you wanted something to work with the ignition off that you would need to look for another place to connect the power.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:55 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

There are three red wires (one solid red, the other two are red with stripe) in your ignition that are accessible from inside the fairing. Use a test light to i.d. at least one of them goes direct to the battery and tap that one if you are looking for constant, unswitched power to connect to the ACC switch. Otherwise, you will need to run a wire to the battery.

You must either already be used to not parking the bike with the forks locked left, or you will soon--me, I'd forget I have something plugged into the cigarette lighter and damage something putting the forks left to lock.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Quick Reply: Anyone know about ACC switch wiring?