Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know about ACC switch wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:23 PM
jimsuver
Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the replys. What I need to know is how to wire a new stand alone ACC switch to my lighter. I have run a fused wire from the battery to the new ACC switch to the lighter so it can be hot with the bike running or not. When I plug a phone charger in the green light on the switch flashes on and off as the phone charges. Do both orange wires need to be hooked up? There are only 3 wires here 2 orange and 1 black. Right now I am just using 1 orange and the black ground wire. Any help here would be great.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could the extra wire be for a light inside the switch?

Old 08-19-2010, 11:16 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Attached is a schematic for the ACC switch. There are three wires:

O/R = Orange w/red stripe (12V feed from the ignition switch)
O = Orange (12V goes to whatever it's connected to when the switch contacts are closed)
B = Black (ground for the LED)

1. You would run O/R to the battery with a fuse close to the battery end.

2. Pull out the lighter's O/W (Orange w/white stripe) wire but leave the black ground wire attached.

3. IIRC the lighter uses blade connectors, so using a new connector attach O from the switch to the lighter where O/W was previously connected. Don't connect anything to the O/W wire, especially O coming from the new switch, as if you do and the switch is closed (on) you'll back-feed 12V to who-knows-what when the ignition is off. Put some electrical tape on the end of O/W and tie it away so it won't ground by accident, as it will be hot (12V) when the ignition is on.

The lighter is already grounded with its black wire, but you'll need to ground the switch's black wire if you want the LED to work. When the lighter is connected this way it will only work when the ACC switch is on (contacts closed), even when the ignition is off. I presume that's the way you want it to work. When the switch is closed (on) the LED light will be on regardless of the load from the accessory plugged into the lighter, so you won't get any flashing.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone know about ACC switch wiring?-harley-acc-switch.jpg  

Last edited by iclick; 08-19-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:11 PM
jimsuver
Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

iclick, Thanks this should get me hooked up! I knew someone would help...

Old 08-21-2010, 04:22 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsuver
Thanks for all the replys. What I need to know is how to wire a new stand alone ACC switch to my lighter. I have run a fused wire from the battery to the new ACC switch to the lighter so it can be hot with the bike running or not. When I plug a phone charger in the green light on the switch flashes on and off as the phone charges. Do both orange wires need to be hooked up? There are only 3 wires here 2 orange and 1 black. Right now I am just using 1 orange and the black ground wire. Any help here would be great.
The black ground wire is only for the light on the switch. Hook your battery wire to one of the orange wires and the other orange wire goes to the center (positive) pin on your lighter.

Look on the switch for wire markings. If marked, it will read something like input, output, and ground. Input goes to battery, output to lighter. If not marked and it doesn't work right, swap the orange wires (the battery wire needs to be on the correct orange for the light to work properly). The green light should not flash. A test light will show you if the lighter is hot only when the green light is on.

Last edited by vickers1; 08-21-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:33 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Oops sorry. Didn't see iclicks post before I posted.