Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Space between backrests?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006 | 12:10 PM
jmxp
|
Tourer
Default Space between backrests?

I've been fooling around with the spacing between the sissy bar and the driver's backrests for a few weeks, and between the wife and I, we can't seem to find something that works for both of us which means I wind up taking my backrest out. So....I'm done fiddling with that.

What I need to know now is if the Tour Pak mounted on the removable rack provides more space between the driver's backrest and the sissy bar. BTW: I'm only 6' and the wife is 120lbs. I shouldn't have to pry her into this space.

I've seen the tour pak relocation kits, but I've got my fingers crossed that I won't have to drop another $200 on top of the tour pak, rack, backrest etc..

Thanks guys,

J

Old 09-05-2006 | 12:31 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Default RE: Space between backrests?

JMXP I've gotta 06 rk and have my backrest all the way back as far as I could get it. and with the detatchable mount I have for her back rest she has enough room, I'm not very tall bout 5/10 and weigh about 265 and she only weighs 120 and says she has plenty of room. The mount I have for her backrest is the one that you can put the tourpak on. I've used the tourpak and she has plenty of room there too. the mount that I use i cannot remember the number but it comes out farther than the frame behind the set and bends down and bolts to the fender brace I think. it didn't cost very much. maybe 40 or 50 dollars best I can remember. I'll try to take a picture this evening and email it to you with the part number. I hope you can make sense of my rambling. Stafford

Old 09-05-2006 | 12:41 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member

There are two positions for the tour trunk on the docking frame. the back position gives you about 1 inch more room. I'm 6/2 and my OL is 125# and has no problems.

Old 09-05-2006 | 01:52 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Not much extra clearance between the riders backrest and sissy bar, I have my backrest bent back further than stock, wife fits fine, but a fat chick would be out of luck!

Old 09-05-2006 | 02:04 PM
jmxp
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

Not much extra clearance between the riders backrest and sissy bar, I have my backrest bent back further than stock, wife fits fine, but a fat chick would be out of luck!
I've moved my backrest foward and back (I modified my backrest mount to angle the backrest back some), and we just can't find a combo that works for both of us. When I move it forward, it pushes me too close to the tank and away from the good padded part of the seat. When I move it all the way back and we go over a bump, my backrest pushes against her stomach. She's not a fat chick, but this combo isn't working.

I need to switch to a Tourpak backrest if it provides more room than the drivers backrest/sissybar combo.

Old 09-05-2006 | 02:42 PM
Vegas FLTRI
Tourer

try raising the drivers back rest it should have 5 positions works for my wife

Old 09-05-2006 | 03:33 PM
jmxp
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Vegas FLTRI

try raising the drivers back rest it should have 5 positions works for my wife
Already have...

I'm *done* fiddling with the sissybar/backrest options. I've tried everything already. What I'm trying to figure out is if the tourpak moves the passenger backrest back farther than the sissybar backrest.

Old 09-05-2006 | 03:43 PM
bpterb
Cruiser

I don't have the tourpak, though it seems I have read if you have the tourpak you can buy something that moves the whole tourpak and backrest back about 3".
I am sure someone will speak up that has this setup.

Old 09-05-2006 | 03:52 PM
jmxp
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: jmxp
I've seen the tour pak relocation kits, but I've got my fingers crossed that I won't have to drop another $200 on top of the tour pak, rack, backrest etc..
Yep, already know about the relo kits. Would prefer not to drop another $200 on one if possible. So, still trying to figure out if the gap between rider backrest/sissybar is larger with the Tourpak.

Old 09-05-2006 | 04:09 PM
buttman
Road Master

A cheaper alternative to the tourpak is to find a good fabricator and have him bend the backrest to the same angle as the heritage backrest. I had this done and also had a couple of inches added to the height. This works great for us both. There are some drawbacks.....you'll have to have it chromed again, and getting the luggage rack on is a little tight (this could probably be dealt with by adjusting the amount of lean). A couple of hundred bucks is alot better than a grand.......

Quick Reply: Space between backrests?