Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

God awful CLUNK on start up??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:39 AM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigredwing
Dealer told me the "clunk" was the compression release to make starting easier, or was that the "bang"?
Just what I was thinking, is this clunk being confused with the compression release?

Does this bike have the 103??????????

Just saying....

OOOPSSSSSSSSS I see that its a 96 on the 2010 glide.........

Sorry Ill stop being such a smartass.....

Old 08-19-2010, 11:59 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_Dave
Good luck with that!
Got that right! I've been dealing with this very issue through my local dealer. Dealer told me that H-D tech support says that Harley has NEVER authorized replacement of the OEM compensator, under warranty, to the SE. Dealer says that any upgrade to the SE was either a customer pay, or the dealer paid the difference, but that Harley has never paid under warranty. Not that I believe this, but that's the story that Harley is sticking to, I'm sure so everyone doesn't demand the SE version.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:24 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
Got that right! I've been dealing with this very issue through my local dealer. Dealer told me that H-D tech support says that Harley has NEVER authorized replacement of the OEM compensator, under warranty, to the SE. Dealer says that any upgrade to the SE was either a customer pay, or the dealer paid the difference, but that Harley has never paid under warranty. Not that I believe this, but that's the story that Harley is sticking to, I'm sure so everyone doesn't demand the SE version.
Now that the stock part on the new models is the SE, don't you think HD will have a hard time convincing us that the old part works and is trouble free? If it's the case, why the h*ll did they discontinue it?

I hope everyone having the problem requests the SE version instead of the lousy & obsolete one. But if HD prefers to pay for several replacements of the same defective part instead of paying for the installation of a better one, there's not much we can do.

I'm under extended warranty until 11/2013 so I'm pretty sure I'll face the music sooner of later, hopefully only once.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:31 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

What are the symptoms of a failing compensator?

Beary

Old 08-19-2010, 12:40 PM
hobobiker
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beary

Beary
Probably when the noticeable "Clunk" sound when starting doesn't "Clunk" the same anymore...

Sorry. Couldn't resist. My 2009 Street Glide does it too...

Old 08-19-2010, 12:42 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Now that the stock part on the new models is the SE, don't you think HD will have a hard time convincing us that the old part works and is trouble free? If it's the case, why the h*ll did they discontinue it?
I can answer that, at least what my dealer tells me is Harley's position when I asked that very question last week: Harley wants to simplify their part numbers and parts, so they have eliminated the OEM compensator found in the '07-'10 models and made the SE the standard-equipment compensator. H-D claims that it has nothing to do with the OEM compensator being a 'weak-link'. Only an insider would know the truth.

Simplify the parts? Maybe they could explain why the P&A catolog is so thick...

Old 08-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
I can answer that, at least what my dealer tells me is Harley's position when I asked that very question last week: Harley wants to simplify their part numbers and parts, so they have eliminated the OEM compensator found in the '07-'10 models and made the SE the standard-equipment compensator. H-D claims that it has nothing to do with the OEM compensator being a 'weak-link'. Only an insider would know the truth.

Simplify the parts? Maybe they could explain why the P&A catolog is so thick...

Uhhh Yeah!!! In other words - "it's normal"..
They'll never admit it was a substandard design!

Old 08-19-2010, 01:53 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by beary

Beary
Thats the thing, it doesn't have to be failing to be a complete piece of crap. I changed mine out and the original one appears to be in perfect working order. It simply isn't man enough for the job. I didn't bother messing around with my dealer or the MoCo because i was pretty sure I'd be laughed at. I just bought one and stuck it. Clunk and/or bang at start up is gone!

Old 08-19-2010, 06:39 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine still hasn't banged once since I put in my HQ500 cams a year and half ago. I emailed HeadQuarters and ask them why this is and they told me that the Dyno guy must have richened the initial start up and the would momentarily retard the ignition and stops the bang on start up.
I'm not kidding not once has it banged since the dyno tune and cam change.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:46 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My '08 only bangs and clunks when I start the bike and shift through the gears. It doesn't end there. Everything else rattles like a bag of bolts, clicks, and squeaks. Maybe my model year is faulty too?

Quick Reply: God awful CLUNK on start up??