Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batwing Fairing Angle

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 AM
dll
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batwing Fairing Angle

This is a weird question (maybe) but at 6'3 it'd be great to be able to tip the fairing out 2-3 degrees so everything is aimed at me ... may help with the wind as well. Is there any adjustment?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:26 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

Good question. I can't see the top of any of my gages either.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:55 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not aware of any easy 'adjustments' though almost anything is possible, if you want to throw enough money at it. Might be able to use shims; need someone here who has done some customizing to better answer your questions.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:06 PM
18BKLR
Road Master

tagged, I am 6'2" and was kinding of wondering the same thing

Old 08-18-2010, 12:36 PM
vonzoog
Tourer

You have a good point here and I have wonder the same thing. I don't want to tilt the whole fairing, but the lower gauges need to point upward.

Example: On my batwing the air temperature gauge is useless. Trying to read it in the normal sitting position, it always looks like it is reading 5 to 10 degrees higher than it really is. I sat on a Road Glide with the "shark nose" fairing and this in not an issue at all. All of the gauges are angle so that you can read them.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:51 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My Memphis Shades batwing

has adjustable angle mounts. I'm unsure as to how the HD fairings attach to your bike but you may be able to add shims where the fairing attaches to the mounts. Before I got the adjustable mounts I had used rubber plumbing washers as shims to push the fairing forward at the top of the mount.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:29 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

watch guy mentioned using rubber washers to space out the fairing. the rubber grommet where the saddlebags attach using the pins might work, but they'd be expensive compared to something you could find at lowes or home depot.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:41 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dll
This is a weird question (maybe) but at 6'3 it'd be great to be able to tip the fairing out 2-3 degrees so everything is aimed at me ... may help with the wind as well. Is there any adjustment?
I kind of doubt 2-3 degrees would make any difference. You'd probably need more like 10-15 degrees, but that might make the fairing look odd.

I've noticed that with some aftermarket fairings. Some of them are tilted forward a bit, which just looks funny.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:51 AM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by vonzoog
Example: On my batwing the air temperature gauge is useless.
Trust me, it's useless no matter what. Change that thing out for an oil temp gauge so that you'll have something more to worry about (your engine oil temp!)...

Old 08-19-2010, 10:29 AM
vonzoog
Tourer

Originally Posted by Navy Mustang
Trust me, it's useless no matter what. Change that thing out for an oil temp gauge so that you'll have something more to worry about (your engine oil temp!)...
You know what? You'er right! This is going on my list of thing to do to the SG.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know why I didn't think of it. I never understood the reason for the air temp gauge in the first place. The bike should come standard with the oil temp gauge anyway. Another MoCo way of milking some more money out of us.

Quick Reply: Batwing Fairing Angle