Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

104 Octane Boost

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

find a friend who can get you 100 octane LL aviation fuel :-)

Old 08-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Pezz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep seeing people talking about needing a dyno tune to run a tuner. That is nothing but a ploy by the people who own the dyno tuning stations. On every bike that I have had that required a tuner I have seen a whole 2hp gain and to get it the tech had to lean the bike out really bad. Most of the maps from power commander and places like Fuel Moto work excellent without needing a dyno tune. For folks with super custom builds of course you'll need some dyno time.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:22 PM
deezee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pezz
I keep seeing people talking about needing a dyno tune to run a tuner. That is nothing but a ploy by the people who own the dyno tuning stations. On every bike that I have had that required a tuner I have seen a whole 2hp gain and to get it the tech had to lean the bike out really bad. Most of the maps from power commander and places like Fuel Moto work excellent without needing a dyno tune. For folks with super custom builds of course you'll need some dyno time.

Not for nothing, I dont think its a ploy. You can take a fuel moto map that I have (I have many) with the timing advanced and the a/f set for my style of riding that wouldnt work for you at all. Weight of rider, style of riding, all come into play........I believe that a canned map comes close in many cases, but fine tuning by a competent tuner that will listen to your goals is worth every penny.......not just to get every HP or ft lb out of the build, but to ensure rideability for those of us who like having the best of both worlds.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:34 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink Worked for me

So after reading that there was no "damage" effects on the EFI, O2's or plugs-

..spent the $7 bucks...put in 5oz. of 104 and it stoped my pinging

The acid test was yesterday.4 pm..had to go up altamount pass with my daughter fully loaded to drop her off in Stockton----visit the g-p's for a week...

Next test this weekend to Hearst Castle with GF

I run VP Racing fuel c12 in my CRF450R - I know that works in the Harley, but at $$$ per gal...

in downtown Saratoga, union 76 sells racing fuel - 101oct. works great, use it once a month just to clean her out...

Saving up for a turner....like I said 13 year old daughter comes first...

Thanks for all the positive inputs.. .

Old 08-19-2010, 02:13 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Educate yourself on how octane boost works....If it says it boosts your octane 5 points, that doesn't mean it makes 87 gas 92...It means it makes 87 gas 87.5.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Pezz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deezee
Not for nothing, I dont think its a ploy. You can take a fuel moto map that I have (I have many) with the timing advanced and the a/f set for my style of riding that wouldnt work for you at all. Weight of rider, style of riding, all come into play........I believe that a canned map comes close in many cases, but fine tuning by a competent tuner that will listen to your goals is worth every penny.......not just to get every HP or ft lb out of the build, but to ensure rideability for those of us who like having the best of both worlds.
Could not agree more on having a good tech, I am referring to shops that insist on putting the bike on the dyno and charging three hundred plus dollars to milk a few more hp's. My local hd dealer does this all the time to the uninformed. Like you I worked with my local shop/tech to tweak my map

Old 08-19-2010, 04:07 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Cool

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Educate yourself on how octane boost works....If it says it boosts your octane 5 points, that doesn't mean it makes 87 gas 92...It means it makes 87 gas 87.5.

I do not care about the "Octane Ratings" if a $7.00 bottle fixed a $ 500 dollar problem, I am happy

But I did come to the forum for what I need and visited "

Myth about fuel additives, 5th Gear" you should watch it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jbcCr2ll3c

Old 08-19-2010, 04:15 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Wink

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...ves/index.html

".............if it did stave off knock, as advertised..........."

USMC Testing of D-1280X

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...ing+of+D-1280X

Last edited by trackadaptor; 08-19-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:06 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by trackadaptor
I do not care about the "Octane Ratings" if a $7.00 bottle fixed a $ 500 dollar problem, I am happy
Yeah, I guess that would be fine if you only had to spend 7 bucks to fix the problem instead of flushing 7 bucks down the drain every few fill ups......You know there are tuners available that you can put on and tune yourself with pretty darn good results without having to pay a dyno guy...I've had a DFO on my Twin Cam for 5 years. It did exactly what I wanted it to do...Enrich the fuel circuit after I made cam and exhaust changes to my Stage I bike. I get good gas mileage, great throttle response, and have zero pinging. The unit cost me 99 bucks, took about 15 minutes to install, and a little time tune it with nothing more than a screwdriver....My bike runs pretty darn good and has never been on a dyno.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
You're right of course, but that doesn't stop people from lining up with their $7 to buy a few common ingredients with a tiny amount of street-legal octane booster inside. Racers (and chemists like myself) know that the "gold" is in the commercially available octane boosters such as xylene and toluene. The other stuff, well, we all need to make a living and selling a colorful can with $1 worth of anti-knock compounds and $0.50 worth of octane booster for $7 isn't the worst way...Stock compression motors needn't bother anyway.

Last edited by Firetender; 08-19-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: 104 Octane Boost