Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How was your 2010 Sturgis Experence??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up How was your 2010 Sturgis Experence??

Went down with my oldest son, his first time. Weather was great, some good day rides and well The Sturgis experience. Sturgis is so unique, things go on there that are not politically correct anywhere else, the lad was in awe.
Gotta love Sturgis Baby!!!!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Went with my youngest son this year. He started in Chicago and was on an official Iron butt ride. I peeled off at ElkView Campgrounds at exit 37 and he keep going to Spearfish to get the final gas receipt and a witness.

We did the Spearfish Canyon ride, The Needles ride, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer Park and all the downtown people watching.

It was a great six day trip. Usually the oldest son goes but he used up all his vacation time on our Key West trip three weeks before.

I only like to ride solo or with my sons. I'm 70 now and trying to get all the great rides with them in the next couple years.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:08 PM
ElectraLarry
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I enjoyed last year better as it was my first year and it was less crowded. To may bikes this year crowding the center line. The beer tub girls stepped it up a notch though... Renee at the Red Garter in Keystone was a pleasant gal

Old 08-17-2010, 09:12 PM
pauletich
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8 days, 5 states and 3000 miles. I loved it, I like the riding more than Sturgis. I have been there 3 times now and it has been the same each time. God bless the USA, we have some of the most beautiful country that I've ever seen.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:12 PM
MN-Ultra
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The weather was great this year. We hit rain only two times and that was the day we left and the first day we started back home.

Best moments for me.
Running Spearfish canyon with nobody in front or behind me.

The Wy route though Newcastle. Eat at Donna's Cafe in Newcastle on main street great food. Just a great day, sunny and in the low eighties.

Van Ocker canyon road in to Sturgis. If you have not ridin this and Nemo Rd. you are missing out on some of the best riding in the area. We turn around and ride right back out.

We don't go in to Sturgis anymore, after 19 years straight I have a hard time dealing with all the people and the long idles waiting to get though town.

The food, IMHO
Best steak Horse Creek Inn on 385 about 3 miles west of Three forks.
Best lunch, Alpine Inn in Hill City, great German food and deserts to die for.

Sorry no breakfast place, we eat Cheerios at the motel we stay at.

Doug
MN-Ultra

Old 08-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't believe only 4 people on this forum went to Sturgis....

Old 08-19-2010, 11:32 AM
RodeDawg
Cruiser

Well, this was my 22nd straight year and I've never gone the same route twice. This year me and my riding buddy (he's gone the last 18 years) went from Tennessee by way of New Mexico and then up to Sturgis. We took 11 days off and rode 4442 miles. Other than the micro-burst thunderstorm that ripped my new $600 glasses right off my face (I felt like I'd been punched) and just about pushed us into the guardrail from two lanes over - the weather was great. Thank goodness I had my old ones with me.....

We know how to avoid the crowds. Breakfast at the Presbyterian Church was great as always along with Weimers Restaurant there on Main Street. Bag Lady Sue out at the Drag Pipe Saloon was a hoot! Vanocker Canyon and Nemo Road ARE wonderful. The Hill Climb on Friday at 10 AM every year is a blast! You shouldn’t miss that.

The ride home include a stop at THE Field of Dreams in Dyersville, IA, a three hour tour of the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, IA and a ride down the Mississippi until the urge to get home simply took over.

All in all – 4442 miles of which only about 750 was interstate – love that two lane, baby! Year 23 coming up!

Old 08-19-2010, 11:44 AM
fasteddiee122
Cruiser

rode out from vermont with a good friend and man was it all worth it . that place is amazing , the roads awesome ! cant wait to go again ....

Old 08-19-2010, 12:37 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 350 Posts

Had a great time! This was my 4th Sturgis and most primitive...I tent camped. Also had more fun than I've had in the past! The weather was great and the rides were awesome, just wish there was an easy way to get through town on Lazelle and avoid the traffic jam.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:26 PM
coolmac
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The week before was a blast. No lines and still alot of riders.

Favorite steak- Mad Marys (Black Hawk)
Favorite bar- #10 Saloon Deadwood
Favorite shot- oyster shot Oyster Bar Deadwood

I quess I like Deadwood . . .

Leaving when everyone was riding in, was impressive.
Never seen such large groups of riders.
This was my 8th time.

I

Quick Reply: How was your 2010 Sturgis Experence??